Menu

Is there such a thing as "healthy" ramen soup in a package?

My girls love "Ichiban Ramen" type packaged noodle soups from Japan- you know the ones that are .25 a package, and come with the little foil spice pouch? I think it is probably because they are obsessed with Totoro, Ponyo and Spirited Away. :lol: Anyway, I kind of like it too (I should add this to the comfort food thread).

However, they are pretty high in fat and off the chart in salt content. Is there such a thing as a healthier, but still authentic version of these soups? I am not looking for a homemade recipe. I want the dump for 3 minutes in boiling water, add the salt..er...spice packet kind. They like those little pillow packages too...kind of part of the mystique I think. They hold them while they are sitting in the grocery cart like they are stuffed animals!

We love those here too, but I hardly ever buy them because of the fat and salt. We lived on these in college!

I have yet to see a healthy option in our local grocery store.

BTW, when I have a bad head cold, I get some ramen soup, add a splash of soy sauce (yes, more salt AND msg!), a splash of vinegar, and a dash of tabasco and it's like my favorite Hot and Sour Soup. Clears my head!:D Sooooo bad...but sooooooo good!!

BTW, when I have a bad head cold, I get some ramen soup, add a splash of soy sauce (yes, more salt AND msg!), a splash of vinegar, and a dash of tabasco and it's like my favorite Hot and Sour Soup. Clears my head!:D Sooooo bad...but sooooooo good!!

That sounds really good! I'll have to remember that for dh who loves spicy stuff.

They hold them while they are sitting in the grocery cart like they are stuffed animals!

:lol::lol::lol: Are you sure those aren't my kids???

To answer: you could not add the entire packet of salt/seasoning...or...I buy the packs of beef broth powder from the Asian store and use that to season stuff..you could buy different noodles and use that broth. I'm not sure if that would actually be healthier?

I make a decent soup using real homemade broth, veggies, rice, and a bit of the Asian broth powder...and I convince my kids to eat it by telling them it's JUST like Ramen.:lol: Of course, that is not dump and boil.

My girls love "Ichiban Ramen" type packaged noodle soups from Japan- you know the ones that are .25 a package, and come with the little foil spice pouch? I think it is probably because they are obsessed with Totoro, Ponyo and Spirited Away. :lol: Anyway, I kind of like it too (I should add this to the comfort food thread).

However, they are pretty high in fat and off the chart in salt content. Is there such a thing as a healthier, but still authentic version of these soups? I am not looking for a homemade recipe. I want the dump for 3 minutes in boiling water, add the salt..er...spice packet kind. They like those little pillow packages too...kind of part of the mystique I think. They hold them while they are sitting in the grocery cart like they are stuffed animals!

:001_smile: I recently found Organic Ramen at our co-op. All the ingreds are organic and the sodium content is not quite as high. It was called "Ramen" as well but the packaging colors were different from the regular Ramen.

Perhaps you can check in a natural food store or co-op for those little "treats".

My dh eats ramen but only adds 1/4 of the salt package. It adds enough flavor but not over the top. I can barely put the dang ramen in the cart at that store without gagging. I lived on the stuff in college and never got over it. LOL I used to add an egg to it (think egg drop soup) when I had one. Also, I use just the noodles with stir fry sometimes.

Annie Chun's :D

http://www.worldpantry.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ExecMacro/anniechun/powershop.d2w/report?hbtype=ppc&hbv1=google&hbv2=AnnieGeneral&gclid=CIqwj96amp0CFQ7GsgodRklt2w

Enjoyed some her Pad Thai for lunch myself today, slurp!

scroll down a bit and you'll get to the ramen noodles. http://www.worldpantry.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/CategoryDisplay?cgmenbr=26081&cgrfnbr=316905

Edited by CalicoKat
ramen noodle link

My son loves the onion flavored Thai Kitchen noodles. Same idea and packaging as ramen--but about 4 times more $. We only splurge on them bc he is allergic to so many other 'quick' items. I consider them better bc of the fat content and because the seasoning packet isn't loaded with MSG. They're still pretty much empty calories IMO, but really come in handy for a quick snack for him. Sometimes you can catch them on sale and stock up. You could also do something similar (and much cheaper) if you bought your own 'rice noodles' in the asian section and boiled them in some broth--you'd still get some MSG but I bet it would be a lot less than ramen noodles. That would be a quick 3 minute thing as well.

Tee hee hee, we call it 'potato chip soup' here. :lol: Lol Lays potato chips are only fried potatoes, salt and oil. It would be healthier to just eat chips for lunch, so maybe it isn't fair to compare them to potato chips, the chips are better for you LOL..:lol::lol::lol:

My dd Loves Ramen noodles. I buy them a couple times a year for a treat. If there is a healthy version, I would like to know too.

We either skip the flavor packets or use only 1/2 of them. Most of the time we prefer our own flavoring of soy sauce, garlic and onion powders and a tiny bit of sesame oil.

There are a couple of brands of Korean ramen that are not fried and are much lower in fat. I found of picture of one, but can't remember the name of the other. If you have an Asian store in the area you could see what they might have available.

http://www.koamart.com/shop/1-1094-ramen_bags-non_fried_ramen_noodles.asp