Menu

Homeschool in the Woods...

MrsMe

I purchased all of the CDs last year to use for my 8th grader along with his SL Core 100 which uses Joyce Hakim's A History of US. I believe Amy Pak at Home School in the Woods cites Hakim's series as one of her resources in writing the Time Travelers series. Anyway, they were a good tie-in and do produce beautiful finished products. However, 4 projects (there are 5 now) was overly ambitious for a year.

I believe that WinterPromise uses them as a stand-alone for one of their programs. Some of the feedback on their Yahoo group mentioned that it could be repetitious. It will be a lot of prep for you. I don't mind the prep and we didn't do all of the projects on each CD, just the ones we were interested in. I thought there was a recent thread on this subject and some of the posters told how they prep for it. I'll see if I can find it if you haven't already.

The Time Travers cds are one reason I chose to interweave American History through our world history. This way I could do more of the projects and spread them out over two years.

HTH. I can include some photos of my ds's projects. They really do look just like the website.

Yay:party: somebody answered me finally! LOL

I was thinking of using Colonial Life for a 3rd grader, then Revolutionary War. But if it takes that long to do a few projects, I don't want to do colonial life forever, nor the Revolution.

WP used their trades and crafts??? kit which I didn't see there. But our current history is sort of dry and I was thinking of just doing biographies until I saw the colonial life. I don't need or want a big tadoo, nor do I want a ton of work. Just something fun.

I think Colonial Life would be perfect for 3rd grade. The schedule that is included with your cd and that's on the website allows for a month. I would recommend with that age that you take about 6 weeks. Pick the projects that seem age appropriate and that you are interested in. We all enjoyed the recipes. I didn't do a unit-end feast. We used the recipes each week as a wrap-up, usually on Friday.

You could do the Revolutionary War this year or use it on your next time through. I thought the RW one was more sophisticated and demanding than the Colonial Life.

We enjoyed the projects and thought they were really well done. Your child doesn't have to be artistic to create a great project.

WP's Trades and Crafts kit is a WP product, not HSITW. They have re-released it in a limited number of kits, and it is available only by phone in order. (It's not in the catalog).

WinterPromise uses Time Travelers for American Crossing 1400-1860. WP is so resource-rich, I can't imagine doing all of the TT in addition to the other work. However, I think I am digressing.

I love Amy Pak's products. They are just beautiful. We did Colonial Life and American Revolution last year. I will agree with the previous poster that Colonial Life would be a good fit for your dd. We just did the lapbook activities, and the colonial ones skewed a little "younger" than the revolutionary war ones. Maybe battles and war are slightly less accessible than daily life in another era. I don't think I would want to use more than 2 in a year--I think *I* would burn out at that point. I am now getting ready to do The Civil War CD in a co-op. I set the age range for the class as 3rd-6th grade. Third grade is about the lowest I would go and even then I had to help both of my dd's a lot last year (3rd and K then). Some of the assembly stuff was a little beyond them. And I think the activities work well with older than 6th--that's just the upper end for the class I'm teaching. I think middle school students could do the activities completely on their own and get a lot out of it.

I could see family's using these products alone for history and getting a lot out of them. I would always want to add reading--that's our primary history-learning mode around here. Amy does include a list of books you can read to round out your studies.

Oh yeah, Snowwhite, you're right. I get mixed up. I thought you could buy another one from HITW too. I just don't remember what it was.

I have just a ton of stuff on Colonial Life here at home (for read alouds and stuff, but I really need a teacher plan. I'm not good at that at all. The projects look sort of girly too.

We're currently doing BJU Heritage Studies 3 and it's just a little less than exciting. We finished the first Chapter which is on the Constitution which was somewhat over dd's head. Not the generalness of it, but the wording and taxes and stuff. Big words and lots of yawning. Could be more project oriented. I like things somewhat topical at this age because she doesn't quite understand the whole picture (and if she's anything like me, won't remember it either). I always think American History should be more 5th or 6th. Anyway, that all throws off my "history schedule". I'll have to get over that analness. :lol:

Colonial Life just looks fun without being overbearing. And if it doesn't work I'm only losing about $30 if I print as I go, instead of a whole curriculum.

Edited by alilac

I am using the colonial one with my ds8 and ds6 right now. Well, kind of. We did the first day's lesson and then I created my own study for the individual 13 colonies, pilgrims, and Indians. There wasn't enough information dedicated to that within the study and I wanted my boys to have a foundation of that before we got into the colonial life. Looking very excited to using it though. I plan to take about 9 weeks for it (finishing it right before Christmas break) and adding in several biographies and lit. books. We'll start the Revolutionary War cd after the break. We'll probably take awhile to get through that one since my boys have a strong interest in it. Lucky for them, I am not in a hurry. :001_smile: