Menu

American Girl sending Kirsten to the archives (guess Samantha won't be lonely)

How sad. :( I guess Molly's next?

It does make it appear to be a trend. I hope it's not. We don't have all of the dolls, and because dd is older now, we probably won't be buying any more. We do have the craft books, trading cards, and a few other things. I'm saving them to give to a possible granddaughter some day. It would be nice to think the dolls might still be available too.

Well, this way they'll have more room in the store for dolls that make a more dramatic political statement (like the homeless doll?).

(and please forgive me if this idea offends...)

How does the homeless doll make a "political statement?" She's a minor character in another character's book, which is about bullying. Children make up a significant portion of the homeless population. I think AG's choice to include a homeless child in their books is touching and appropriate, because that's a struggle many real American children face. I would like to see proceed from that doll going to help homeless children, rather than as a profit-making item, but that doesn't make the doll political.

Several dolls in the AG line (Addy, for instance) have tragic backgrounds. Addy escaped from slavery, leaving part of her family behind. Rebecca, the new Russian Jewish character, is from an immigrant family who is struggling with integrating into American society. Are these political statements? No, they're stories of how girls can overcome adversity and still be positive, educated, and productive people. How is this a political statement?

I guess they're basing this on what sells and what doesn't. I got the Kirsten books at a library sale and they looked good, although my dd isn't old enough to read them herself yet. I doubt I would have bought a Kirsten doll. Since the dolls are so expensive, I think people tend to buy a doll that either looks like them, shares their background or has really awesome clothes and accessories. I don't think Kirsten qualifies one points one and three and fewer people live in the towns their pioneer ancestors founded, so the sales from point 2 are probably slipping. I'm hoping that this is the reasoning and that Josefina is safe until dd is old enough to get an expensive doll. Keeping my fingers crossed.

I guess they're basing this on what sells and what doesn't. I got the Kirsten books at a library sale and they looked good, although my dd isn't old enough to read them herself yet. I doubt I would have bought a Kirsten doll. Since the dolls are so expensive, I think people tend to buy a doll that either looks like them, shares their background or has really awesome clothes and accessories. I don't think Kirsten qualifies one points one and three and fewer people live in the towns their pioneer ancestors founded, so the sales from point 2 are probably slipping. I'm hoping that this is the reasoning and that Josefina is safe until dd is old enough to get an expensive doll. Keeping my fingers crossed.

LOL, in the picture of my dd and Kirsten when she first got her, they look like twins! I have often thought that if they made a movie of Kirsten, my dd could play her!

here is what they wrote to me a couple hours after I wrote to them (my email follows):

Dear American Girl Customer,

Thank you for taking time to express your feelings about our decision to

move Kirsten® to the American Girl Archives?. We are very sorry for the

disappointment this has caused you.

While Kirsten has been a popular character since her introduction in

1986, we felt the timing was right to preserve her place in American

Girl's history, making it possible to introduce new characters and time

periods for our customers to enjoy.

Girls will still be able to see Kirsten and learn about her stories at

the American Girl Archives on our website. Her stories will live on

through her timeless book series and mini doll, which will continue to

be available and sold through retail locations and through

americangirl.com.

We are complimented by your request to add other dolls to our product

line. We appreciate your thoughtful suggestions; however, our internal

design team creates all of our products, including our dolls, their

stories and accessories. Although we are not able to comply with your

requests, we appreciate the time you have taken to share it with us.

Your comments and insights help us determine if we are meeting the needs

and interests of the girls we serve.

Again, thank you for writing to us. We value your opinion and welcome

your comments.

Sincerely,

American Girl® Customer Service

Phone: 1-800-845-0005 or 608-831-5210

Fax: 608-828-4790

Available Monday - Sunday 7 a.m. - 10 p.m. Central Time

Original Message Follows:

------------------------

Why would a company making historical dolls get rid of one that covers

our pioneer heritage? I can see replacing Samantha with Rebecca...but

getting rid of Kirsten? Hello? Why not make a film with her in it to

promote sales? PS - how about a Vietnamese refugee doll? (60/70s?) Or a

1950's doll - could be a black girl, living in a northern city like

Detroit. Add dolls, do not retire them.

funny like a fox.;):lol:

Its smart marketting to retire dolls and prodce new ones and its brilliant to do it before christmas. That's how my dd got Nellie last year even though she is only 4.

Yes, I was thinking of getting another one for dd this Christmas. Guess now I know which one to get :) I wanted to get Kirsten anyway though...