Menu

Hewitt Syllabi

I bought Hewitt's syllabus for The Story of Art and it doesn't come with answers! I e-mailed them and they said these are only for students who are signed up with them... so I essentially wasted $5. I won't be buying those from them any longer. The schedule is useful I suppose... but I prefer answer keys with what I buy - esp when I'm not strong in the subject.

I bought Hewitt's syllabus for The Story of Art and it doesn't come with answers! I e-mailed them and they said these are only for students who are signed up with them... so I essentially wasted $5. I won't be buying those from them any longer. The schedule is useful I suppose... but I prefer answer keys with what I buy - esp when I'm not strong in the subject.

So am I to understand their syllabus added in extra questions and then did not provide the answers to those questions? Well that's no good!!:001_huh: What other type of information did it provide?

All of the extra quizzes I received from Hewitt had the Hewitt answers. The questions in the texts are answered in the text teacher materials. Were these Hewitt-generated questions?

So am I to understand their syllabus added in extra questions and then did not provide the answers to those questions? Well that's no good!!:001_huh: What other type of information did it provide?

With The Story of Art they have quarterly assignments (a required paper) and project suggestions of all sorts and then a quarterly test.

Then they give no answers of any sort - nothing to look for in the papers and no answers to any of the 4 tests. They expect you to be signed up for their 'school' and mail your stuff to them for evaluation.

After I got in it I was extremely disappointed and e-mailed them. They replied that this material is just for people signed up... no offer to give test answers or anything. At that time I looked on their website to see if any such warning was given that I had missed. It wasn't. I e-mailed them back suggesting they change their website to reflect their intentions for the material, but I've never checked to see if they have or not.

In the meantime, I'm stuck with a 'plan' but that's about it. I'm not at all familiar with Art History - but it also isn't all that big of an issue with me nor my kids, so I suppose we'll do the tests open book with the three of them double checking each other and I'll grade the papers based on writing and have them check the content with each other.

IF I were more motivated I'd read the book myself to gauge content, but at this time in my life I have a bit going on, so that's probably not going to happen. It might make my summer reading list for next year though... it looks like a fabulous book.

All of the extra quizzes I received from Hewitt had the Hewitt answers. The questions in the texts are answered in the text teacher materials. Were these Hewitt-generated questions?

Hewitt's Lightning Lit materials include everything and I like those and will continue to use them. That's why I jumped on getting an Art Syllabus from them to assist with Art History. However, Art History is not the same as Lightning Lit (so I was told by them). I bought this and had the e-mail conversation with them this past August ('09).

Some things they have are set up for complete homeschooling (like Lightning Lit) and other things are apparently for those choosing to school through them. I just wish they'd make an obvious distinction on their web site - maybe they have since my e-mail suggestion to them. I hope so. Fortunately, it was only $5 wasted, but it certainly didn't give me a nice warm fuzzy feeling about them overall.

Are schedules included in the sllyabi? I'm interested in the BF ancient and medieval if they have schedules and help in some way with the reports and essays. BF guides just tell you to do an essay but doesn't say how long you have to do it or how long you have to read, etc. Basically I need help with structure!

Hewitt's Lightning Lit materials include everything and I like those and will continue to use them. That's why I jumped on getting an Art Syllabus from them to assist with Art History. However, Art History is not the same as Lightning Lit (so I was told by them). I bought this and had the e-mail conversation with them this past August ('09).

Some things they have are set up for complete homeschooling (like Lightning Lit) and other things are apparently for those choosing to school through them. I just wish they'd make an obvious distinction on their web site - maybe they have since my e-mail suggestion to them. I hope so. Fortunately, it was only $5 wasted, but it certainly didn't give me a nice warm fuzzy feeling about them overall.

Hmmm, the Total Health syllabus had answers to the Hewitt quizzes (but not to the TH workbook questions).

Thanks for the heads-up about asking first!

I used the BJU History syllabus with our high school co-op class. It did not have the answers for the tests, but I think in our case it was well worth the time it took for me to look up the answers. They are all answerable by using the text. The tests were only quarterly but they were 4 pages long. I felt that they provided a great testing experience for my group. The first test were mostly B and C grades, but they learned from the experience and were able to obtain mostly A's.

The schedule was well worth the money to me, whether or not the tests would be used. Self-cheduling projects are my worst nightmare!

Joan

I used the BJU History syllabus with our high school co-op class. It did not have the answers for the tests, but I think in our case it was well worth the time it took for me to look up the answers. They are all answerable by using the text. The tests were only quarterly but they were 4 pages long. I felt that they provided a great testing experience for my group. The first test were mostly B and C grades, but they learned from the experience and were able to obtain mostly A's.

The schedule was well worth the money to me, whether or not the tests would be used. Self-cheduling projects are my worst nightmare!

Joan

You are most definitely right about the scheduling! I have been trying to create one for 2 months now, lol!!!

I think I will give the schedules a whirl especially since they seem to be ranging in price from $1 to $7.

Which one was it and what was wrong with it?

The syllabus and tests were for Joy Hakim's History of US.

The tests were simple and something that I could have created myself.

The syllabus says read pages 1-65 on week 1, read pages 65-120 on week 2.

Then it gives you a list of 35 projects that you can chose to do (one for each quarter).

Here are some examples-Design a newspaper front page with headlines and stories.

Make a model of a scene or invention.

Illustrate a historical scene.

IMO, it was a complete waste of money. There was nothing new and creative in there. All stuff that I have seen written many times before.

Then it gives you a list of 35 projects that you can chose to do (one for each quarter).

Here are some examples-Design a newspaper front page with headlines and stories.

IMO, it was a complete waste of money. There was nothing new and creative in there. All stuff that I have seen written many times before.

I undersand! This was for middle school I'm assuming. Please tell me what you would have liked to have seen in the syllabus?

Joan

Was this for the regular world history or the honors? What else did it include?

I undersand! This was for middle school I'm assuming. Please tell me what you would have liked to have seen in the syllabus?

What I would like to see and what you would like to see would be very different.

If you are creating your own for sale you will have to come up with your own ideas.

This is very similar to how they do the Story of Art (Art History)... and without answers to the tests at that. It really was a complete waste of money - but fortunately, just $5.

What I would like to see and what you would like to see would be very different.

If you are creating your own for sale you will have to come up with your own ideas.

I'm trying to figure out if any of there syllabi will be helpful in making my life easier. By asking what you have liked to have seen instead I was hoping to get a sense of if this would matter to me or not in making a decision to purchase. It's a 50/50 chance on whether or not we would agree but either way it would still help me make a purchasing decision. Since they have no samples all I can rely on is everyone willing to share what they liked or didn't like about the various syllabi. I'm not trying to sale I'm trying to purchase.

I may be misremembering, but I believe that Hewitt's syllabi for courses lower than high school level include some answers but those for high school level do not. This would explain why the syllabus for the Joy Hakim books has answers (it's marketed as a junior high syllabus) while the Art History syllabus does not.

Regards,

Kareni

I may be misremembering, but I believe that Hewitt's syllabi for courses lower than high school level include some answers but those for high school level do not. This would explain why the syllabus for the Joy Hakim books has answers (it's marketed as a junior high syllabus) while the Art History syllabus does not.

Regards,

Kareni

Thank you so much for your help!

Jennifer, the Hewitt syllabus for the BJU History was really helpful to me. The cost is only about $7, I think. It gives a reading schedule. Then it gives a criteria for grades: For a C grade, do reading, map, timeline, paper for term + 1 project. For a B grade do that plus read a book from the book list and give a book report + 2 projects. For an A grade, do all that with 3 projects instead of 2.

The book list is per quarter, including fiction, biography, historical fiction, primary sources. The syllabus tells what to include in a book report based on the type of book chosen. The project list is 48 items long. It includes all types of learning.

In my co-op situation, I chose the projects so that they did 2 per quarter: Timeline, report, writing project, quote collecting, time capsule, internet research, etc. The kids had to choose a book from the list. Each week, they read aloud a quote from their book, and finished the quarter with a book report and the Hewitt test. Like I said, I found the answers to the test.

For me, it was one of the most excellent $7 expenditures. I've wasted countless amounts of money here and there over the years on curriculum I never used. It gave me a base to say, here's what a high school course looks like. Worth it to me.

Hope this helps you,

Joan

Jennifer, the Hewitt syllabus for the BJU History was really helpful to me. The cost is only about $7, I think. It gives a reading schedule. Then it gives a criteria for grades: For a C grade, do reading, map, timeline, paper for term + 1 project. For a B grade do that plus read a book from the book list and give a book report + 2 projects. For an A grade, do all that with 3 projects instead of 2.

The book list is per quarter, including fiction, biography, historical fiction, primary sources. The syllabus tells what to include in a book report based on the type of book chosen. The project list is 48 items long. It includes all types of learning.

In my co-op situation, I chose the projects so that they did 2 per quarter: Timeline, report, writing project, quote collecting, time capsule, internet research, etc. The kids had to choose a book from the list. Each week, they read aloud a quote from their book, and finished the quarter with a book report and the Hewitt test. Like I said, I found the answers to the test.

For me, it was one of the most excellent $7 expenditures. I've wasted countless amounts of money here and there over the years on curriculum I never used. It gave me a base to say, here's what a high school course looks like. Worth it to me.

Hope this helps you,

Joan

Thank you so much Joan!!! This helps a great deal. Was this the basic world history syllabus? If so it is adaptable to any textbook you use according to what I read. I'm using World History: The Human Odyssey by Spielvogel along with BF.