Menu

Favorite cookbook for kids?

My son had been eyeing this cookbook at Target every time we went in there. I finally bought it for him for Hanukkah last year, and he loves it. He pours over the recipes. The food is not all extremely healthy, but we make a few recipes here and there, and he is happy. It has cute pictures of the foods and easy to follow recipes, and is divided into sections like, breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks.

61S8Q9YMTDL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Ds has Kids Can Cook 51DXH5BWH9L._SL160_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-dp,TopRight,12,-18_SH30_OU01_AA115_.jpg. He really likes it; there are great, easy breakfast recipes like french toast and pancakes and lunch things like pita pizzas and pasta salads, and some really easy dinner and dessert recipes. This is the vegetarian one, but I'm pretty sure they have a regular version of this book.

I think he was about 8 when he got this book, but I think it would be perfect for a 7 year old budding chef.

My daughter likes this book (and the cups :-) ).

Cook It In a Cup....

http://www.amazon.com/Cook-Cup-Quick-Treats-Silicone/dp/0811859568/ref=pd_sim_b_3

And also

Paula Deen's My First Cookbook

http://www.amazon.com/Paula-Deens-My-First-Cookbook/dp/1416950338/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1254251692&sr=1-1

She's 7 and just getting started cooking, so she's/we've only made a few recipes so far, but many look very good (though we may alter some of Deen's a bit).

-Kim

Um...here's a couple of slightly biased reviews I wrote recently. If you want the *real* links, lol, pm me.

500986.jpg Usborne's cookbooks are so lovely, it's difficult to choose a favorite. This one is...too fascinating to be just a cookbook. It's filled with delightful & unusual recipes from around the world. I don't like to try new things, & I won't touch Asian food, & even I could not resist the Thai chicken. There was not. a. bite. left. after my party, so I wasn't alone!

What's truly wonderful about this book, though, is the gorgeous illustrations, magazine-like layout, & internet links. Each page has a recipe & information about the accompanying culture. There are several 2-page spreads detailing the texture & flavor of fruits around the world, vegetables, &--thank goodness--breads. That's the page that reassures you that you can survive anywhere!

It was looking through this book that made me realize...I don't buy Usborne books for my kids...I buy them for ME!

The bright illustrations, kid-friendly layout, & step-by-step instructions spark the imagination of anyone and call to even the less-culinary among us to lift up a spoon & march a happy parade of children into the kitchen to cook up some memories!

Or wait till they're in bed, & keep the goodness to yourself. (I won't tell.)

506339.jpg If you're really tempted to look at other titles, The Children's Book of Baking is a dream, and for visions of sugarplums, try Usborne Christmas Baking for Children

And if you have a fairy kitchen, then you'll understand when you SEE inside the sparkly Fairy Cooking that it's an essential for every magical mama!

Mollie Katzen has great cookbooks for kids, Pretend Soup, Honest Pretzels and one I've not seen Salad People. Honest Pretzels is marked 2-6 grade and the other two are pre-school-3rd grade. She has kid friendly step by step instructions and also great tips on cooking with kids.

http://www.amazon.com/Pretend-Soup-Other-Real-Recipes/dp/1883672066/ref=pd_sim_b_2

There's also Family Fun Cooking with Kids but kid independence is less than the above books.

http://www.amazon.com/FamilyFun-Cooking-Deanna-F-Cook/dp/1423100867/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1254256842&sr=1-2

A great thing to add to the gift is an acrylic cookbook stand. HTH

What is your favorite cookbook for kids around age 7? I'm thinking of putting together a box of cooking stuff for my dd for Christmas. I was thinking a cookbook and an apron...what else would you include? Thanks! :001_smile:

What a wonderful idea... I have vowed not to bring any more toys into my house for Christmas.

Wish I had some ideas for cook books, but my DD is still a little young for her own recipes.

The Williams Sonoma kid cookbooks are *by far* my favorite cookbooks for kids and we've tried a lot. It's real food that everyone can eat-chicken parmesan, fettuccine alfredo, it's not all "kid-food." My only caveat about them is that there are sometimes steps that can be combined or adjusted. For example, they frequently have kids melt butter in a pan on the stove when it could be easily melted in the microwave (like when you're using it to mix in muffins, etc).

eta: I actually purchased the baking book and a super-adorable apron for my niece last Christmas. Etsy has tons of *really* cute aprons.

Edited by Mrs Mungo

My favorite first cookbook for kids is Marion Cunningham's Cooking with Children.

Cunningham bases Cooking with Children on her experiences teaching youngsters both privately and in community center programs. What she learned about a child's capabilities, likes, and dislikes has been distilled into 15 basic lessons, all centered around a particular recipe.

The first chapter, for example, entitled "Vegetable Soup," teaches how to peel and chop vegetables, how to sauté, how to be organized in the kitchen, and the difference between boiling and simmering. Chapter 6, "Pancakes and Popovers," teaches how to mix a batter, test the heat of a skillet, grease baking cups, and more. The instructions for each recipe are clear, detailed, and easy to follow. Though Cunningham assumes parents will supervise in the kitchen, she's also made sure the recipes are easy enough for older children to follow on their own. Cooking with Children is a terrific introduction to the culinary arts for kids--and makes a pretty nice refresher course for adults as well.