Menu

Foul language in College Textbook??? Where to draw the line?

It is unprofessional for professors to use language like that in class or in class materials. It would be different if it was part of a piece of literature - like the "N" word in Tom Sawyer - it was part of the time and culture of the book.

I think this really depends upon the area of study. In literature it is pretty much impossible to avoid. How can you study the beat generation (to pick one example) without curse words? You can't. They were used to shock and influence, it was a *major* movement, a precursor to another major movement in the sixties, that cannot be ignored in a full poetry study.

Plus, there are things in books far more disturbing than curse words-actual happenings from a historical, psychological or cultural perspective. What about Lolita? Cather in the Rye? Should they be banned in *college* classrooms due to language or sexual themes?

As far as career studies-there are some great books out there with curse words. Even How to Win Friends and Influence People (a book currently being studied by our Christian, homeschooling National Honor Society group, which includes 12 and 13 year olds) has at least one curse word. If you decided as a college professor that you could not use any books with curse words I'm afraid it would severely limit your choices.

You can complain but I strongly doubt it would have any positive results, whatsoever. These are college professors, they choose the material. They are teaching adults. If you don't like the material the professor chooses then drop the class and sign up for a different one next semester.

It's funny. I have always taught my children that when they meet people who use profanity, it is usually a sign of ignorance. I've told them it usually is because they lack communication skills, vocabulary, and the ability to get their point across in an intelligent manner. So for it to be in a textbook and used over-the-top by anyone in a teaching capacity would be almost a proof to them that they wouldn't want to bother with the class itself. :D
:iagree:

When our youngest son applied for a job at a "cool" deli near his college campus, the owner of the deli used the f-word liberally during the interview. Even though my son doesn't use that kind of language, he thought that this guy must be really comfortable with himself and others to use that kind of language with someone he had just met. Why, he was treating my son like a friend from day one!:glare:I warned my son that this did not bode well for the amount of respect he might show to my son in the future when he worked for this man. As usual, my son didn't respect my opinion, but lived to admit that I was right. As usual.

I really question the judgement of the professor who would use such a book in a class about career development. Even in the most obnoxious, vulgar professions you can imagine, I don't think you would be dropping f bombs in an interview for the job.

I agree. Absolutely inappropriate.