Menu

OK, I have had enough! My homegrown, boiled

Tani

I add like 1/4 or more of baking soda, and a small amt of vinegar to the water. When they are done boiling put the eggs into an ice bath until they cool.

My fresh eggs peel easily now. Occasionally I get a hard to peel egg though. There was an entire thread with suggestions at backyardchickens.com

Jackie

Edited by Mesa

:001_smile: I will try all the ways mentioned to see which will work the best.

My eggs are usually 1 day to a week old. I didn't realize that older eggs are easier to peel:001_huh:

Anyhoo, will followup later with results. Will be trying some eggs tomorrow just out of curiousity ;)

Thanks.

I've never had an issue with homegrown chicken eggs (duck are a whole other matter!!!) peeling. All I do is store them in the fridge until ready to use. Boil, then drain all water from the pot and fill with cold water. I let them sit for a couple of minutes to cool off and then they peel easily. I dont know if this is just my luck or it this is a tried and true method. :) I just know it works for me. Good luck.

PS I second the backyardchicken forum. Lots of good info there!

My eggs are usually 1 day to a week old. I didn't realize that older eggs are easier to peel

I used to have a terrible time peeling my sister's fresh eggs. Er, re-reading...that would be fresh eggs from my sister's chickens. Heh.

One day she told me about hardboiling the older eggs instead of the freshest ones. I have not had any trouble peeling eggs since. Once the eggs are about 2 weeks old they peel just fine, for the most part.

Cat

they stay in the fridge without going bad? I always thought they needed to be used within a couple of weeks. hmmmmmmm

Also, I do run them under cold water.

Thanks everyone. :001_smile:

Depending on where you live and how warm your "cold" water is, it may not be enough. When we were in MI our water came straight out of a 215ft well and was very cold, my eggs peeled great. Now that we are in FL our "cold" water is really luke warm. I have to have a bowl of ice water ready. I drain my eggs and run them under our "cold" water and then put them in the ice water. I don't have any problems now. Also, I've always been told to put my eggs in cold water on the stove before I boil them, not to add them to hot water. Something about the air pocket being even inside the shell if the water and eggs warm up at the same time. And I always use my oldest eggs.

Melissa

Eggs are good for a while. Not sure how long, but you can always do the floating test on them to see:

Gently drop the egg into the bowl of water. If it:

sinks to the bottom and stays there, it is about three to six days old.

Sinks, but floats at an angle, it's more than a week old.

Sinks, but then stands on end, it's about two weeks old.

Floats, it's too old and should be discarded.

Dh's colleague has chickens and gave us this advice (along with lovely brown and green eggs): Eggs in pan, bring water to boil, remove from heat. After ~8 minutes gently tap each egg against the side of the pan to make a hairline crack. Let sit another 4-5 minutes. Then do the cold water, store in fridge thing. Peel under running water and the shells come off easily. She said the water gets between the shell and the albumen (which is sufficiently cooked after 8 minutes to not spill out) and separates the two. It's working here so far.

Depending on where you live and how warm your "cold" water is, it may not be enough. When we were in MI our water came straight out of a 215ft well and was very cold, my eggs peeled great. Now that we are in FL our "cold" water is really luke warm. I have to have a bowl of ice water ready. I drain my eggs and run them under our "cold" water and then put them in the ice water. I don't have any problems now. Also, I've always been told to put my eggs in cold water on the stove before I boil them, not to add them to hot water. Something about the air pocket being even inside the shell if the water and eggs warm up at the same time. And I always use my oldest eggs.

Melissa

I pour the hot water off and refill with cold water and ice because I don't like to wait so long for the eggs to cool (compared to just putting cold water in and letting them sit for a while). (mine are store-bought, not farm fresh)

come back to all this wonderful talk about eggs:bigear: Fantastic and Thanks. I am now in the kitchen with 3 different types of eggs.

Egg #1: picked yesterday

Egg #2: floated straight up with bottom still touching bowl

Egg #3: floated at an angle, still touching bottom of bowl.

Will check in shortly to let you know my results. (I have different colored and differ sizes of eggs to mark them)

Will use icewater on freshest egg, cold water on next, and baking soda/vinegar on third.

I love Science:lol:

I have always been kinda skeptical about eggs more than 2 wks but I am willing to give them a try. I have a fear of 'stomach upsets'. :tongue_smilie:

I am back: Egg #1 put in ice water-peeled easily

Egg #2 put in sink cold water (oldest egg) and it peeled easily

Egg #3 cracked all around, put in tap water and it peeled easily.

It seems that all these methods work rather well ;o)))) I am so egg-happy! I really appreciate all the replies given to this quest.

Off to check my eggs.

Thanks Ladies

Edited by Tani
Add to previous post results of my egg experiment.

eggs just won't peel smoothly. I end up taking half the white with the shell. Does anyone have a technique for shelling boiled eggs? Are store bought like this as well?

That's all. Thank you for reading! ;);)

I have two tricks, one is to wait to boil them until they are a week or two old, and the other (faster) way is to let them come to room temperature before boiling them. It really works!

I am now in the kitchen with 3 different types of eggs.

Egg #1: picked yesterday

Egg #2: floated straight up with bottom still touching bowl

Egg #3: floated at an angle, still touching bottom of bowl.

Will use icewater on freshest egg, cold water on next, and baking soda/vinegar on third.

I love Science:lol:

Well, technically, you should have 3 identical eggs (no difference in age or floating ability) and a control egg. You'd do nothing with the control, except peel it when it cools off. You'd try the three different methods with the other three eggs. That's how you'll truly know which method is best.

I learned this from watching Mythbusters. :D:D:D

All I do is store them in the fridge until ready to use. Boil, then drain all water from the pot and fill with cold water. I let them sit for a couple of minutes to cool off and then they peel easily. I dont know if this is just my luck or it this is a tried and true method. :) I just know it works for me. Good luck.
:iagree: This is exactly what I do, and I get the same results! :001_smile: