Menu

Canadian Homeschoolers! Question for you...

It's pretty easy here in BC. You either go to the local school and register as a homeschooler which is what we've done or register with a Distance Education school. The DE schools will give you some money but you have to follow their curriculum. Registered homeschoolers do there own thing and the government doesn't bother them. Our school gives us $200 per kid in grades 1-12 and $100 per K'er. Other than that we're left alone.

Just wondering which province you live in, and, if you get funding for homeschooling, how much do you get per child per year?? What is homeschooling like in your province? Is the school board supportive?

Thank you!

We're in Nova Scotia and don't get funding. I have a friend who homeschooled 6 kids in Alberta, where they did get funding.

Homeschooling seems pretty easy to me here - you just register in September with name, address, phone number, and a description of what you plan to teach in the coming year. In June, you submit a report (in any form you like) of what you taught. There are no credential requirements, and no specific curriculum requirements. I've never dealt with anyone from the school board or DOE.

I like the freedom here. That's why I don't mind the lack of funding.

I'm in MB and we get no funding at all. We only have to fill out 3 simple forms a year. You can use any curriculum you want. No testing. No inspections. No supervision.

I wouldn't trade it for any funding.

We live in SK. We write out an Educational Plan every year stating our philosophy, goals for the year and resources. In June, we can either send in a portfolio or a written evaluation of our year. The school board has been asking that we don't send in porfolios and that our evaluation not be more than one page as they don't have time to read it. :confused:

We do receive funding-- $300 per child who is registered. I am not sure how I feel about the funding yet. Last year was the first year we received it. It definitely helps but I would be quite willing to give up the funding in lieu of other special services like speech therapy, reading assessments, etc. things that we are not allowed to have because it goes against "policy."

Julia

mom of 3 (8,7,5)

We are in Quebec. Funding? :lol:Funding? :lol::lol: Ok, let me catch my breath...

This province is so backwater that the mere idea of funding is funny...

Homeschooling is much of a grey area here. School boards think they have to give permission for parents to homeschool. Some school boards are nice to work with, others will require parents to conform to the provincial curriculum to the letter. There are some horror stories circulating about what some school boards have requested. One family was turned down because they didn't plan for 20 minutes potty break per class, twice a day. Since all three kids are in different levels, that's three classes, and two hours of the schedule for potty breaks! Thankfully, that was cleared up, but it's a good example of the way some school boards expect every single detail (including respecting the teachers' contractual requirements!). The school board next to us was fine with homeschoolers until the lady in charge of homeschooling retired, and they hired a shark instead. So all families in that area who played above board are now regretting it. That's why most homeschoolers in Quebec are underground, and unknown to the government.