Menu

Are you having your 9th grader take the PSAT?

We are. I called our ps guidance department and they signed up my son. They are great about this here. I have no idea how our youngest will do. I'm hoping his score will give me some idea of what we need to work on, math and English-wise. I also want the test-taking practice for him. He is my homeschooled-since-first-grade one and doesn't have experience with this sort of thing. I'm not planning on doing lots of tests with him (at this time, anyway), so the ones he does will be important and this is a very easy, non-counting way for him to practise. His friends are taking it, so it will be less intimidating. He is not happy about "wasting time".

As I understand it, you can only "call him" a 10th grader once. It's the 10th [woops - 11th] grade exam that "counts" towards the National Merit Scholarship contest. Any other use of the PSAT is for your own benefit & it wouldn't matter about grade etc., I think.

Julie

Edited by Julie in MN

As I understand it, you can only "call him" a 10th grader once. It's the 10th grade exam that "counts" towards the National Merit Scholarship contest. Any other use of the PSAT is for your own benefit & it wouldn't matter about grade etc., I think.

Julie

Collegeboard.com says 11th grade for the scholarships.

Enter the competition for scholarships from NMSC (grade 11).

I do plan for my 9th grader to take the PSAT. Partly for practice and partly to have experience in a difference test environment. Dd#2 will most likely not take it in 9th.

I think it can be helpful to take it starting in 9th if a student doesn't have much experience with this type of test. We did already have that experience because ds did the SAT in Jr. high for JHU's gifted program. So, we did not do the PSAT until 10th grade.

That being said, I wish I had encouraged him to prepare more for it for 11th grade. We probably didn't put as much effort into test preparation as we should have. I really think he would have had better scholarship offers if we had taken the time, or maybe even put some money into a tutor. Who knows..

anyway...I posted a link in another new thread that has a free webinar for the PSAT next week. Might be worth a look see for folks headed that way.

HTH

Here's a link to the thread: http:

//www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130200

Edited by Sharon in MD
added link