Menu

X-post: anyone know anything about Belhaven?

Halftime Hope

icon1.gifAnyone know anything about Belhaven College?

...personal experience would be wonderful.

Dd would like to go to a

• christian college (not one that is only historically church-affiliated)
  • that is accredited by the NASAD (art) or has a really great art program,
  • with both pysch/counseling courses
  • and a biblical studies/theology minor available.

Finding that combo is proving to be tough, without putting her future in serious hock. :glare:

So, back to the question: anyone have firsthand experience with Belhaven?

Thanks a million!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest GR8BKS

Hi,

My ds is going to Belhaven this year (Freshman), and we are very pleased so far. Do you have any specific questions I might be able to answer? Being a newbie Belhaven mom, I may not be all that helpful to you.

Ds is majoring in history (and is considering a minor in psychology after he got there).

Hi GR8BKS!!

My senior dd is looking at Belhaven for next fall. We have been peppering them with questions and have visited twice now. Belhaven has quickly moved to the top of our list.

I would love to hear anything you or your son have to share. :)

Polly

**sorry, MSPolly, this should have been under GR8BKS' reply**

Dd and either dh or I will be going up next weekend for the arts discover day.

If you don't mind, would you tell me a bit about your ds--i.e., what type of a person he is and what about Bh makes it a good match for him? What does he like about it? dislike? what has been unexpected or a surprise?

Is history one of their standout departments?

What other colleges were in the running, and what made you all choose Bh over them?

If dd were only interested in art, it would be a no brainer for her to go to our well-regarded, well-accredited local uni, which would come out *very* inexpensive for her, due to her qualifying for nearly a full ride. But the psych is a nightmare (just how much deviant/abnormal does any one young adult really want to know!?!), and the biblical studies field, of course, non-existent.

I'm going to PM you with several other questions, and if you'd prefer not to answer the ones above in public, maybe that would help. (I'm pretty protective re. what I share about my kids online.)

Thanks so much!

Thanks!

It was a wonderful fit for her. She was first attracted to their dance program, being a ballet enthusiast for years. However, she ultimately minored in dance and majored in business. She is now a financial adviser with Edward Jones.

I know that Belhaven is one of only 25 colleges in the nation to be accredited in all four of the art areas. I made many trips to campus to see performances, etc., and was always very impressed with their dedication to teach the arts, not as compartmentalized, only sacred music or works, but appreciating all of beauty and learning to present it to the world and impact the culture with the arts. A true, Christ-centered worldview. And they do have a core curriculum requirement for all students. It's a sweet, beautiful campus.

My daughter's main dislike was the dining hall. The food left a lot to be desired. She and friends many times hoped there would be more fresh food, more fruit available on a regular basis, but unfortunately, I heard a lot of complaint about that. And, even the couple of times I was there to eat, it was not stellar.

All performances of various forms I was impressed with at different visits I made - music, dance, theater. They really are a wonderful school especially for the arts. There is also a wonderful church there, Redeemer Presbyterian - PCA - in case you are interested in knowing that. I think there are a couple of other good ones some of the kids liked in town, too.

Jackson itself isn't the prettiest place in the world, but the area right around BC is like a little historic section and is quite nice.

And just a little tidbit of trivia - Belhaven is the first place that a "living Christmas tree" was ever presented. It is the birthplace of that. And every year, the college puts on the living tree and any students wishing to participate are invited to do so. (it is outdoors)

My daughter made what I believe will be lasting friendships there and it was a good experience.

Please let me know if there is anything specific I could find out or answer for you.

God bless,

Jo

Valerie,

Please forgive me for intruding. You didn't!! I sure didn't mean to be. :) We have also sought info about Belhaven. I should have pm'd. No, don't feel that way...the more the merrier.

Good luck!

:)

Polly

MSPolly, you have been tremendously helpful!! Thank you so much for your replies! When I asked GR8BKS about her son and his experience, I just misplaced my inquiry to her under your post, so that's what I meant when I said whatever I said. (If I go look it up, I'll lose this post...:glare:)

I appreciate your taking time to share what you knew!

Best to you and your dd, as well.

Edited by Valerie(TX)

No problem...when I came back...it *did* look to me like I was kind of *butting in*. :)

(Not from *your* response...just the way my post popped in :) )

I hope you enjoy your visit! We are getting ready to schedule my daughter's piano audition! :)

Polly

(Be sure to ask all your questions...Amanda from Admissions has been VERY helpful to us and even returned a call to me from out of town. I have been satisfied, I think. :) )

Edited by MSPolly
to clarify something