Menu

Reform For Sophie

A friend of mine recently blogged about her daughter's ongoing and chronic lung problems, and how the cost of healthcare has had a direct and serious effect on her family. Because the debate around here is sometimes rancorous, I hesitate to direct you to her blog. However, PBS is airing a special report on healthcare reform this evening, and Sophie and her family are featured. It should be on at 9 p.m. EST, but the link to the program is here.

This is true. However, in this situation, the reason the child is not insured on her parents' plan is because she's considered to have a pre-existing condition. Her hospital bills are high enough to ruin any family, so the state insurance is literally their salvation. But the state's coverage has income limits. If your income is right around the limit, you have to be very, very careful. Exceeding the limit could result in the termination of your child's healthcare. It is a tremendously stressful tightrope walk.

I mentioned this to my friend. I'm researching online, but can't find any direct evidence that her state offers such a plan. OTOH, if you watched the program last night you saw that a Soonercare representative recommended to her that she divorce her husband and give him (the lower wage earner) full custody in order to keep Sophie on the state plan. Not terribly encouraging.

I don't know if all states have it, but in our state if medical bills are higher than the household income then medicaid will step in and help. We have a friend that just had this happen to him. My son's medical bills are astronomical, but our ins. is awesome so we don't pay much. If we lose our insurance, this medicaid program will step in to help but he will not get near the quality of care that he gets now *sigh*.

Hopefully they can find what they need.

Thanks for sharing the information here. I certainly hope to see it as this is a very important issue for all of us. Film is a powerful medium. I look forward to learning more about some of the challenges families are facing and this particular young woman. It has been my experience that film makes marginalizing and ignoring an issue impossible. There is no longer some anonymous" other " but a flesh and bone human being trying to share their experience and truth with another. Powerful in so many ways.