Menu

Question about online unversities for me (not dc)

mo2

I would like to begin working on my bachelor's degree. I'm thinking of an English major. Eventually I would like to get my master's in library science but of course that is quite a ways in the future. ;)

I really need to be able to do the entire thing online, as I also work and hs. Does anyone know where I could get a bachelor's degree entirely online? Most that I find require some face-to-face courses, which I just couldn't do right now. I have been able to find several places that will give you a degree in business, education, or nursing online but I can't find anything that will grant you a degree in the liberal arts entirely online.

Any suggestions? Thanks for the help.

I recommend using CLEP and Dantes exams as much as possible to earn your degree. These 90-minute, multiple choice exams can be studied for at your own pace and some schools, like Thomas Edison State College (TESC is accredited) allow almost all credits to be earned through Credit by Exam (CBE). They do not have a residency requirement, so you don't have to worry about moving to New Jersey; you can do coursework online. There are discussion forums about Thomas Edison and other CBE-friendly schools at degreeforum.net (hosted by Instantcert.com)

Read the forums at Instantcert and if you decide to subscribe, use code 85722 for a discount. Subscribing gives you access to a members-only forum with specific exam feedback. You will also have access to hundreds of flashcards - efficient study aids for many of the exams.

Here are some resources for you:

http://www.freewebs.com/officesolutions/clepfaqs.htm

Here is an inspirational post about someone who earned a BS in 9 months!

http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-thomas-edison-charter-oak-specific/7981-0-bs-under-9-months-i.html

Here's a quote about a homeschooler who will graduate from high school with a B.A. degree, too!

"...he applied to TESC (was accepted) and transferred in his 99 CLEP/DSST credits...leaving him with just 21 credits tograduate with a BA. He is currently taking college courses through Dual Enrollment so will have just 3 courses and 1 DSST to complete before May 2011 to receive his BA -- the same time he will get his HS diploma."

CLEP and DANTES can be taken at any age. Scores are good for 20 years.

Edited by Sandra in NC

I recommend using CLEP and Dantes exams as much as possible to earn your degree. These 90-minute, multiple choice exams can be studied for at your own pace and some schools, like Thomas Edison State College (TESC is accredited) allow almost all credits to be earned through Credit by Exam (CBE). They do not have a residency requirement, so you don't have to worry about moving to New Jersey; you can do coursework online. There are discussion forums about Thomas Edison and other CBE-friendly schools at degreeforum.net (hosted by Instantcert.com)

Read the forums at Instantcert and if you decide to subscribe, use code 85722 for a discount. Subscribing gives you access to a members-only forum with specific exam feedback. You will also have access to hundreds of flashcards - efficient study aids for many of the exams.

http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-thomas-edison-charter-oak-specific/7981-0-bs-under-9-months-i.html

Here's a quote about a homeschooler who will graduate from high school with a B.A. degree, too!

"...he applied to TESC (was accepted) and transferred in his 99 CLEP/DSST credits...leaving him with just 21 credits tograduate with a BA. He is currently taking college courses through Dual Enrollment so will have just 3 courses and 1 DSST to complete before May 2011 to receive his BA -- the same time he will get his HS diploma."

Thanks for this info. It never occurred to me that I could test for credit. I will definitely look into this. Sounds like a good way to save money.

This is excellent advice!! You should also check out www.degreeinfo.com which is run by the guy that publishes the Bears Guide to Distance Learning. Also there are several ALA accredited library science programs which you can do totally online. If you want to get an MLS it does not matter so much what your undergrad is in although English or History is good but really anything is fine.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure if this question is dead or not yet, but I'm getting my degree through University of Maryland University College. I'm an English major with a Natural Science minor. I figure that combination would help me the most as I am homeschooling, though I have considered changing my minor to history instead.

Anyway, http://www.umuc.edu , is fully regionally accredited with a wide variety of majors available completely online. You will have to take your final exam proctored, but most community colleges have a testing center that qualifies.

American Public University has a fully accredited, completely online English program (I am majoring in English there as we speak :)) . www.apu.apus.edu/index.htm

You might want to check it out! And, if you have any questions, just let me know!

Lisa

I am considering APU. My only real concern is that it says professors can require tests to be proctored. What is your experience with this? The cost is so much less than anywhere else I've looked, that I wonder if I am missing something.

I am considering APU. My only real concern is that it says professors can require tests to be proctored. What is your experience with this? The cost is so much less than anywhere else I've looked, that I wonder if I am missing something.

I took a couple of IT certification tests through Certiport last year and the woman at the testing center said she would proctor homeschool students' tests, too. She charged only $20. I've heard proctoring can be as high as $75. I'd suggest calling a local Certiport or Prometric testing center (google search for these sites and go to their "locate a testing center" link) and asking.....

Sandra