Menu

CLE Math... anyone use it a grade level below?

angela&4boys

my dd is 10 and in light unit 307 right now. I tested her in May and found she needed to start at level 3, and we did some math all summer. Now that school has started, she is regularly doing 5 lessons a week, and will be starting 400 by December. I am happy with CLE math. She still hates math, but she is learning and it is really rather painless because it is slow and gentle and repetitious....she just hates math, no matter what, but she does it without crying,etc. ;)

Pie

My dd just turned 9 this summer and is in 4th grade. I pulled her from ps mid way through last year and put her in Singapore 2A. We breezed through that for the most part, but she didn't have regrouping so I had to slow down. I found that she had some gaps from ps compared to Singapore and it was not a good fit. Like the pp, she hates math - tears and complaining and gnashing of teeth, the whole bit - and S.pore just didn't have enough review for us. I have switched just this fall into CLE 300 and so far we really like it. The gaps are still there, but as I find them I can supplement some. I am hoping to be in 400 in early Spring with the goal to be in 500 by the time she starts 5th grade, but if she's not I'm okay with that too. I find CLE's scope and sequence to be about a grade level ahead of ps.

:D

My dd just turned 9 this summer and is in 4th grade. I pulled her from ps mid way through last year and put her in Singapore 2A. We breezed through that for the most part, but she didn't have regrouping so I had to slow down. I found that she had some gaps from ps compared to Singapore and it was not a good fit. Like the pp, she hates math - tears and complaining and gnashing of teeth, the whole bit - and S.pore just didn't have enough review for us. I have switched just this fall into CLE 300 and so far we really like it. The gaps are still there, but as I find them I can supplement some. I am hoping to be in 400 in early Spring with the goal to be in 500 by the time she starts 5th grade, but if she's not I'm okay with that too. I find CLE's scope and sequence to be about a grade level ahead of ps.

:D

This was our situation almost exactly. Ds 10 came out of ps after 3rd grade. We started last year with Singapore and he did 3A and 3B and started 4A before I decided to stop Singapore with him. As stated in the post above, the gaps from PS didn't jive with Singapore. We switched from Singapore 4A to CLE Math 4.

My ds is 10 (5th grade) and is in 403. I did want to speed him along and get him into the 500 level soon after the holidays, but I'm not stressing about that anymore. His learning is solid and he is moving along with a lesson a day.

He really enjoys CLE.

I may continue with lessons next summer. That will catch him up. More importantly it will keep him from slipping. Large summer breaks from math is not good for us.

If you join the Yahoo Group for CLE you will see that there are MANY people that have to start their dc a grade or two below where they would be in other curriclums. Especially if they are coming from public school. Your definitely not alone! :)

I just purchased CLE 6 to use with my 6th grader. We are more than halfway through Saxon 7/6 and there are concepts at the beginning of CLE 6 that have not been covered in 7/6 yet. I am going to use CLE 6 after finishing Saxon 7/6 as reinforcement but from what I can tell it seems that CLE is advanced as other posters have stated.

Blessings,

Lisa

I wanted to chime in here also...my oldest just turned 9 and is doing mostly 4th grade level. He just started book 303. I am hoping to start the 4th grade level in the spring, and be on track by 5th grade. We gave CLE a try in May and he started with 301.

As a side note, DD is almost 7, doing mostly 2nd grade, and just started book 106.