Menu

College apps--any advice or answering a question like this?

Musicmom

Ds is filling out the Common App online, and one of his college supplements says to “List 4 books you have read this yearâ€. The thing is, while most response-slots on the Common App and supplements are terribly restricted, the space allotted for this response is 500 characters (which works out to about 70 words)—way more than you would ever need to list 4 book titles and authors. In fact, Ds could practically list ALL the books he’s read this past year (which is a lot), with room to spare. So… we are wondering if they are really looking for the student to list more, or expound on his 4 choices, or write an essay about them. Or do we just list 4? :confused:

Anyone have any thoughts or worked with an admission coach on a question like this? Or should we ask the school about it directly?

Thanks in advance!

We never encountered this type of question, but could you give the admissions office of the college in question a call and ask them what they want?

Personally, I'd be afraid to list more than 4 because then you might be labeled as "doesn't follow directions"....

JM2Cents,

Brenda

:iagree: Sometimes things get lost in translation between the college and the common app.:001_huh:

I would do just what the question asked. List 4 titles and authors.

The extra characters are probably allowing for titles of nonfiction books, which are occasionally longer than fiction titles, or books with multiple authors. (Or even first/last names of authors so that the reader can distinguish between, say, "Edgar Poe" and "Edgar Allen Poe.")

Guest jrodrick4

hi...

I'm jack..

I'm fresher engineer in the field of Computer Science. I want to complete M.S. in Computer Engineering. Please, list the name of the colleges in USA that are good for me.