Menu

Any writers here?

Just curious if there are any other writers (aspiring or otherwise) homeschooling their kiddos. :)

I'm unpublished (for now), working on a love story. I'm having trouble finding time to write. My husband (also a writer) works into the wee hours of the morning. During daylight our little house is hopping with activity. I squeeze in an hour or two when I can, but it is SO frustrating. Today is one of those days when I'm *so close* to yelling, "Everybody GO AWAY! I want to write!!!!"

I didn't mean to turn that into a mini-rant (sorry).

So, anyone else here writing? How do you balance your time between kids and work?

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, there are others of us here.

Naturally, it gets easier (sort of) as the kiddoes get older.

When my guys were upper elementary and older, I had a sign on my closed door that said,

Mom's Writing

Do Not Disturb

unless

you are

bleeding, barfing, or burning.

It worked sometimes. ;)

Are you going to do NaNoWriMo this November? That's National Novel Writing Month. There is a social group http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/group.php?groupid=40

for all of us crazy folks who participate. It is great fun and participating will show you where to dig out times to write. It was a real eye-opener for me last year.

I'm writing romance fiction also. :D

Edited by Happy

:seeya: I do! But, unfortunately, I have the same problem as you. Summertime was easier, but during the school year its too frustrating. I need TIME to think, and I can't do it in tiny, interrupted spurts. I'm too tired at night, to busy in the morning and all day. This year, the plan was that I would make out the kids' assignment sheets for the whole week, and each day they would spend from 830-1230 working through them on thier own, and in the afternoon we would do our together classes and I would answer questions from thier morning work. Naturally, I would write during those morning hours and every one would be happy.

That did not work. I do not think they are ready for that kind of independence.

I will definitely be paying attention to the answers in your post.

I had a sign on my closed door that said,

Mom's Writing

Do Not Disturb

unless

you are

bleeding, barfing, or burning.

:D

:lol::lol::lol: LOVE this!

Yep. BTDT. I have those days where I want to shut everyone out too;)

It's gotten a bit more difficult to find time to write now that school has begun. (Honestly, if it's homeschool, why are we always in the car?)

Last year I wrote from about 4:30 in the morning until everyone else woke up. Prior to that I stayed up into the night. I'm finding that neither one of those options works for me now, as I'm turning into an old bat who needs more rest.

Soooo, I write when the kids are down for a nap, or the occasional day where my mom has the kids for an afternoon, and sometimes when dh is home and can watch them. After the younger kids go to bed I can usually get in an hour or so. Needless to say, I'm not pounding out words the way I once was, but I'm still writing.

It's about squeezing it in, and of course, juggling.

Anxious to hear how other homeschooling writers do it!

I haven't written, or really tried to, since dd was nearly a year old. My (then) husband was really into a novel I was writing, we had just sold a company we owned, and he watched her so I could write. I finished it, took a while to shop it around, got an agent, got a book deal, took forever to finalize it, and, just before everything went through, they backed out (this is nearly 3 years later). Just after that, hubby left, and I haven't tried anything since, haven't even tried to sell it again.

I'm hoping, if and when my life ever settles down again, I'll try to sell it again, and try to write again--I've wanted to be a writer ever since I can remember, and love writing-- but, as a single homeschool mom, any free moment I have now (that's a joke!!) goes to sleep, cleaning, or, truly, my babe!!

Yep! I have a novel in the editing stages, and I feel your pain.

How do I balance? Poorly. I've been editing the same novel for two and a half years, so suffice it to say I don't get a lot of work done. Most of my 'writing' these days consists of daydreaming while I nurse the baby. Occasionally I have a few days of frenzied creativity, which involves letting the house fall into chaos and eating sandwiches for dinner a lot, but it never lasts long (which is probably for the best).

I keep telling myself it will get easier...someday.

It sounds as if we need a creative retreat, complete with babysitting....

I'm going to plug my blog here, too. I write about creativity from many angles...lots of posts are how to stay focused when life happens. I started the blog to keep me focused while homeschooling. See the address in my siggy.

Count me in on the aspiring writer category. My goal is be writing full time once ds graduates (6 1/2 years to go!) and published by that point.

Happy's blog has some great tips on finding time to write. She's very inspirational as well. Look for her artist's daybook entry for a great tip on writing 20 minutes each morning.

I started focusing on writing again for Nanowrimo 2007. My family was excited for me and fully supported my being absent most of the month, except for school. Once dh saw how fulfilling it was for me he has allowed me to treat it as a part-time job. I have at least two nights a week that I work on my writing.

I steal time to write. Sometimes in the morning, sometimes on breaks, sometimes it has to be in the evening. My son is old enough that after school he can be on his own for a few hours.

School has to take priority at this point. We started this year six weeks ago and I'm still working on editing a story, it should have been done by now. So I have to realize that it is a season and like anything if I want it bad enough I will find the time to write. I do kind of "check out" in November and allow my family to fend for themselves. I also do a similar nano challenge in June, WriDaNoJu, created by one of our local writers.

I always carry a notebook, leave one beside my bed for those 3am inspirations, and sometimes sneak away to the coffee shop on Saturday morning to write.

Edited by elegantlion

I'm a writer. I have two published non-fiction books. The deadline for my 3d is Feb. 2d. I'm supposed to be working on a fourth, but that is not going to happen til the 3d is put to bed.

Up until my kids' fall sports took over, I researched on Sundays from 1-4 pm--the hours of our library. The only way I made it happen was by leaving the house and having that dedicated time. If I stay home, I wind up cleaning or coming to these boards (I could be writing now).

THere's a good writing book by a mom, but I've completely forgotten the title. She talks about how to squeeze in writing. I find I don't work well in little bits of time, but need huge chunks. Having a deadline helps.

I find it's like being in school all over again w/a deadline hanging over my head and weighing on my brain even when I should be enjoying whatever task is in front of me. Honestly, I don't know how SWB does it. My goal was to just work during the summers, but our summers are just as busy as our school year.

Best of luck.

Laura

I guess I am an aspiring writer. When I was a child, I knew one day I would write a novel. I have started to do it many times and then stopped. I even have a teacher from highschool who reminds me occasionally that she is waiting on that novel (she was my english teacher and she was published while I was in her class. She signed her book to me "A copy of my first novel - in exchange for a copy of yours some day."). :) I went through college wanting to write fiction. Then I got married and had a baby and decided to go the "Technical Writing" route. I did that (and loved it) for about 5 years. Now I am an uninspired stay at home mom/homeschool mom and writing has taken the extreme back seat. Maybe some day...

I went through college wanting to write fiction. Then I got married and had a baby and decided to go the "Technical Writing" route. I did that (and loved it) for about 5 years. Now I am an uninspired stay at home mom/homeschool mom and writing has taken the extreme back seat. Maybe some day...
This is so similar to me. Except I'm still writing because we need the income from my writing. I miss more creative writing. When I do have the time uninterrupted to myself I find it easier to read than write. Although about once a year I get inspired to write children's fiction for my children. I think that is where my heart is if I'm truly being honest.

Yes, there are others of us here.

Are you going to do NaNoWriMo this November? That's National Novel Writing Month. There is a social group http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/group.php?groupid=40

for all of us crazy folks who participate. It is great fun and participating will show you where to dig out times to write. It was a real eye-opener for me last year.

I'm writing romance fiction also. :D

Yeah, I'm thinking about Nanowrimo... but if I don't have time NOW, how will I have time then, kwim? But, it certainly can't hurt to try :001_smile: I think it's awesome you write romance. I read a ton of those books!

My current WIP isn't genre romance, but does have a romantic subplot, mostly because I can't help myself :D The main plot is a love story of a different kind (wounded child learning to love and trust her uncle who has adopted her).

Hey, mind if I ask a spinoff question here, since the writers are gathered?

My NaNo'9 idea is for a sort of comic novel, somethings along the lines of The Hilarious Adventures of Such-n-Such. I have some clear ideas, but I've never really read what I'd consider a sweet, comic novel. Can you gals offer some suggestions?

Anybody thinking about NaNoWriMo 2009, come aboard! The more the merrier! The group on this board is the only thing that got me through to 50,000 words (well, I have to give *some* credit to Nestle's Tollhouse Morsels...).

Edited by AuntieM

I write romantic suspense & a bit of traditional romance.

For anyone writing in that genre - including more general women's fiction - I heartily recommend joining Romance Writers of America. Most cities have local chapters where you can attend meetings, workshops, conferences. If you're too far away for an in person chapter, there are virtual chapters.

I've learned so much from RWA. I've also watched our local members make their 'first sale' (book length with a listed publisher) - we celebrate each year at a Valentine's Brunch and the first sale person makes a speech about their journey. It's very inspiring.

And I've made friends with many published authors & I have some sense about their careers and how things look once you're pubbed, including the paychecks ;)

You get access to online classes on all genres, on craft, promotion, pitching - as well as access to contests which many people use as a way to get feedback, and in some of the bigger contests, to get your ms in front of an editor or an agent, as those people are the judges.

I'm still chasing publication. The closest I got was a request for a partial for a Harlequin line (Bombshell) which promptly got cancelled a few months later .... That ms is parked & I'm working on a different story now, targetting Sillhouette RS. In between I tried working on a Blaze & on a Presents but I don't think I can do those ..... RS or Intrigue is where I feel more comfortable.

The "inspirational romance" aka Christian themes lines at HQ and Sillhouette are doing well, btw & actively seeking new authors....

How cool that there are so many writers here!

At the moment I am mainly a newspaper columnist--I struggle to find time for more! My weekly parenting/humor/slice-of-life piece has been published in our local paper for nearly 4 years. I also write occasional feature articles for them and have been published in a couple of magazines as well. I also have a selection in a wartime writing anthology published by Random House, and was included in an accompanying documentary, which was an amazing experience.

I'm reluctant to post links to my blog on open forums like this, but if you'd like to see it, PM me and I'll send it to you.

I have a baby due soon (hoping for c-section next week!) and it's been a tough pregnancy. So aside from my column, writing has been on the back burner this year. My goal is to begin pursuing more magazine gigs in January, once we've all settled through the newborn stage of life. I have a couple of book ideas in the works, including a collection of favorite columns, but of course that's such a huge process I can't imagine having the mental energy for it until later next year.

As far as finding time to write, I'm a night owl. I'm usually up at least three hours or more after everyone else is in bed (something that I know will change with the new baby, too).

A homeschooling mom with three published novels--not self-published, but with one of the major Christian publishers, Multnomah, maybe?--spoke at one of our local writers group meetings. She managed to write all three books by writing just on the weekends. She treats Saturday as a full 8-hour work day, getting up early, shutting herself in her office and leaving her DH in charge of the kids. Then she did four hours on Sunday afternoons.

I don't know that would work for my family, but it was inspiring to hear how dedicated she was to her work, and how much she was able to accomplish by focusing on it in solid chunks of time.

Count me in... I haven't written seriously in years, but I have started up again and am going to participate in NaNoWriMo this year. Writing on the fly gets words on paper, but then I feel a bit anxious because I can tell it's not my best... Then I have to tell myself that I will be doing a lot of editing later, anyway.

I did NaNo in 2008. Finished on the 18th of the month.

Now, with the one handed gig, I'm scared to even try. *sigh*

All of my writing is done after bedtime, or Wolf will take the kids out for a couple of hours so Mommy can work.

The one handed gig is the most frustrating thing...gave up writing for a while now, and need to get back to it...just not sure if I can tackle NaNo. I'd hate to not make the mark, because of stupid RSD.

:seeya: Me!

My dh is a grad student and I write plus we do daycare on weekdays. We have arranged our schedules so that he is on campus two and a half days a week and works at home (generally) the rest of the time. Three days a week, I am the primary parent while he works and three days he is the primary parent while I work. We have a headphone rule for the kids. The parent with the headphones on is working and should not be disturbed. (Half the time I have the headphones on but nothing playing. ;) ) We take off on Sundays. When one of us is up against a deadline, though, that person is "all work and no parenting" until after the deadline passes or the job is finished.

I write fiction and non-fiction, but right now only the non-fiction pays anything (a very, very small anything) so I focus most of my working time on my non-fiction. However, I will sometimes stay up a little late or get up a little early to squeeze-in some more fiction writing time. I also bought a 9" netbook which I take with me whenever I am going to be somewhere waiting for more than 30 minutes and write while I wait. (Unless I just want to relax... then I just bring a good book!)

Like Hornblower, I'm also a member of RWA and highly recommend it.

Also, if you write Christian fiction then joining ACFW (American Christian Fiction Writers) is one of the best things you can do. There's tons of inspiration and encouragement through the e-loop, forums, and monthly courses.

There's something about linking up with a group that helps keep me focused and realize that it can be done!

I write romantic suspense & a bit of traditional romance.

For anyone writing in that genre - including more general women's fiction - I heartily recommend joining Romance Writers of America.

:iagree:

I have learned SO MUCH in my year in RWA. Money's very tight right now, but you'd better believe I'll be scraping together my pennies to renew. It is SO worth it. I'm so grateful for the many pub'd authors who offer their help to the not-yet-pub'd. RWA is fabulous. Love it :001_smile:

Austin?! That's a short three hour drive from my house...you fly into DFW or Love and I'll pick you up. I can have my bags packed in no time at all.

It's not far for me either. I think 4-5 hours drive, I'm due east of Austin. A friend posted some pics on her facebook. I haven't gotten to ask her if she just went to visit or for a retreat. I could so live there.

My NaNo'9 idea is for a sort of comic novel, somethings along the lines of The Hilarious Adventures of Such-n-Such. I have some clear ideas, but I've never really read what I'd consider a sweet, comic novel. Can you gals offer some suggestions?

Anybody thinking about NaNoWriMo 2009, come aboard! The more the merrier! The group on this board is the only thing that got me through to 50,000 words (well, I have to give *some* credit to Nestle's Tollhouse Morsels...).

Did you ever watch the Gilmore Girls? I hear it on in the background now and it always reminds me of light comedy, like a light flitty symphony or something. Maybe a few episodes of that, add in some Vivaldi to keep you inspired.

I'd like to do a fun novel about a homeschooling family that moonlights as super heroes, but I've been reading Homer & other deep books all year so my intended story for Nano is a little more, well, violent and dark.

Jump in and write, Auntie M. A gal in my local writer's group is doing a wacky, funny novel. It looks like such fun to write....

I write late at night when the kids are asleep. Of course the problem with that is I'm tired and cranky in the morning.

Ideally, I'd like to write at the table while the kids work, but I'm always doing other things and I have to put myself in the book, kids asking questions pulls me out.

I would love it if my dh sent me away for a few days without a phone or anything!

Then I could catch up!:tongue_smilie:

Yes, e-published in romance and erotica, and another RWA member. A few irons in the fire, too.

When do I write? That is a good question. In the past few weeks not at all (except for edits) because the whole family went from full stop night owls to 6 am alarm clocks (dd share times at the county tech and homeschools her academics)). My body JUST got situated and I've finally figured out the family schedule (eat at 5 pm, 5:30 the latest) kids in bed at 8 and I get two hours to write until I pass out. I hope that when the year gets a little more along I can carve out some afternoon time, too.

I love RWA, I do, but I got my start with http://www.romancedivas.com It's free and there's a wealth of information there, we hold workshops, free, with HUGE authors-Mary Jo Putney, and scads others. And it's an amazing support system. There are NY and e published ladies all the way to brand spankin newbies who ask how to format a page.

I'm another who highly recommends RWA. I started with Silhouette and am now with Harlequin. I sold the first ms. when I was pregnant with my oldest who is 11 (I now have three kids) so it is possible to write with small kids. I'm currently on #18 if I remember correctly. This is my second year homeschooling and I managed two books last year and will do two again this year. I really have to be disciplined about my writing time, though. I get up early and go to bed late. I also watch no TV except for an occasional DVD for a family movie night. Fortunately I have a dh who loves to cook and doesn't mind doing a load of laundry or three. That makes a big difference.

I wish I could do NaNoWriMo this year, but I have a manuscript due Dec. 1 so that's what I'll be working on instead.

Just curious if there are any other writers (aspiring or otherwise) homeschooling their kiddos. :)

I'm unpublished (for now), working on a love story. I'm having trouble finding time to write. My husband (also a writer) works into the wee hours of the morning. During daylight our little house is hopping with activity. I squeeze in an hour or two when I can, but it is SO frustrating. Today is one of those days when I'm *so close* to yelling, "Everybody GO AWAY! I want to write!!!!"

I didn't mean to turn that into a mini-rant (sorry).

So, anyone else here writing? How do you balance your time between kids and work?

I am a writer of the pre-published variety. I do not have adequate, reliable time to write. I wish I did, but it is one of those things that I have to accept isn't going to bloom to it's fullest at this time. I am writing a fantasy novel. I also enjoy writing essays and slice-of-life stuff. My blog somewhat satisfies the later urges, although nobody pays me for it. The novel I just have to settle for bits-and-pieces writing at this time.

I've been writing fiction on and off for the last six or seven years, squeezing it in between having three kids fairly close together. I'm not the most prolific of writers, but I'm currently working on my fourth novel and I have a good double handful of short stories under my belt. My writing buddies, who I got to know through the Online Writing Workshop for SF&F, have been my anchors to the writing life. I fell out of the writing habit over the summer (it always happens to me at that time every year) and I'm getting back up on the horse by taking author Holly Lisle up on her Write a Book with Me offer. My goal is 500 words a day, 5 days a week.

I write at night after the kids are in bed, staying up far too late to do it. My procrastination tendencies are more to blame for my lack of writing than the kids, honestly. I get an hour Quiet Time in the middle of the day and 8-11 pm at night to myself. My husband will take the kids over the weekend if I ask him to. Really, it's more me and my lack of time management and addiction to the Internet (for example, I'm here right now! :P).

I write fantasy. I get encouraging rejections on my work. I angst to my writing buddy in Australia. I write some more. Despite my laziness, the frenzy of life with three littles, I always always come back to fiction. Stories were my first love. :)

~Rabia

I wrote 285 words today. A few of them actually form complete paragraphs!

I don't anticipate writing much (or well) until the kids are a bit more independent or I suddenly come into money for a part time babysitter!

Every little bit counts. I honestly think creating the writing habit--a few hundred words a day--is more important than binging and writing a couple thousand in one go every two or three months.

Set a timer for ten minutes every day and just write during that time. Ten minutes a day, every day, adds up!

~Rabia

I am writing a fantasy novel. I also enjoy writing essays and slice-of-life stuff. My blog somewhat satisfies the later urges, although nobody pays me for it. The novel I just have to settle for bits-and-pieces writing at this time.

Awesome!

So am I. It's always nice to meet another fantasy mom writer. All of my friends who write fantasy are in the childless camp. :)

~Rabia

Here's a blog post from an author I've written a couple of continuity series with. She's been there with kids so knows how hard it can be. This is a way of writing in 10 minute blocks that really does help when you think you'll never write a word until they graduate and our out of the house. I thought once my three got a little older, I'd have more time to write, but I actually have less due to activities, homeschooling, life. Anyway, if you're looking to find a little writing time, it's worth a read. Plus, this is good exercise for NaNoWriMo participants, too!

Ten Minute Solution by Susan Meier

I am a writer as well. Previously, I was a paid journalist both online and in print, but as of now I currently am not writing for pay. I have been alternatively working on poetry as well as two different novel ideas, both from completely different genres. One is a fantasy novel, whereas the other will probably wind up a series about a couple, their two young daughters, and the challenges and hurdles they face in life, done through the veil of humor as well as a few other methods, but generally designed to be light reading with real, relatable characters. The girls run all over their father, practically clones of their mother. ;) However, he doesn't mind, he loves them too much to mind.

The fantasy novel is darker, however. It's more on hold right now than the other, but it is almost apocalyptic in nature. It's an idea that came to me in a dream, actually, and I'm still formulating it, as it is my most recent novel idea.

My poetry is generally more romantic in nature, as my poetry is typically inspired when thinking of my loved one. Also, I prefer shorter poems to longer ones, and I like to use simple rhyme schemes with advanced, complex vocabulary and sentence structure. Still, I don't intend to ever release them publically.

Wow, I'm really impressed with everyone's accomplishments. Congrats to all of you!

I suppose since everyone else shared what their genre is that I should probably share mine. I write YA mystery. Good, meaty mystery (I hope, anyway) that doesn't talk down to the reader and assumes they can follow the plot and understand words containing more than 5 letters. Mystery that is deep and interesting (again, I hope) without being fluffy or trashy. Stories that can easily interest youth or adults. You know - the stuff I have a hard time finding for my dc to read at the library or bookstore. Dd helps me edit, which is actually quite helpful because she is very well-read and painfully honest, and I respect her opinion (plus its nice to have the audience right at my fingertips ;)).

Last year, I had about 140 pages of the particular story I'm presently working on. I had an Its-All-Crap moment and now I'm forging forth with 43 rewritten pages of stuff I actually really like. (I did, however, have the presence of mind to keep the other around because there are several pages here and there that I really liked and will want to use).

Thanks for sharing, and for letting me share, too.:)

Writer here, too. Also a member of RWA and another one targeting HQ/Sil. :) I currently have a ms under consideration with HQ in Toronto. I love RWA, and I've made many good friends through RWA and met my cp's that way. For a few years, after a particularly painful rejection where I was really very close to a sale according to the editor, I just felt exhausted from the whole prospect of keeping at it and pretty much stopped writing. :001_huh: Not a smart move. But I'm at it again now. I have sold confession stories to the confession mags. I'm considering looking for an agent, too, at this point.

It's great to see so many other writers here!

haven't read the other responses yet...

I write, but not professionally and not well:001_huh:, LOL. But I've been an aspiring writer since the 1st grade, so I keep at it! Lately, the only writing I actually get in is 30 days out of a year during NanoWriMo. Last year was a blast - other homeschool friends got in on it, and we had a writing party one night. It was fun to encourage each other and see how far we'd each gotten on our novels. I was in the early stages of pregnancy, so wrote while nauseous (does not make for a good novel, BTW). I plan on doing it again this year - but this time with a baby, eek! We'll see what happens:) Some day (...enter wavy lines to indicate dreaming here...) I hope to make it into a homeschooling venture, where kids and mom spend a certain amt of time each day writing.

What fun to read all these responses. I had no idea there were so many writers here.

I'm curious for those who are members of RWA, do you also participate in a local chapter? Is that the level where you get the most bang for your buck as far as workshops, etc? Or would the National convention be where you get more hands on learning?

I'm published in magazines and had a column in a local paper years ago. I also enjoy writing non-fiction, but my heart is set on writing romance.

I heartily recommend everyone get involved in a writer's group. Unfortunately, some groups are better than others. Mine is really good. We also host seminars, workshops, and conferences. Excellent learning and networking opportunities. For example, prior to a conference I picked up two authors at the airport. Between them they had over twenty novels on the New York Times best seller list to date in their careers....You better believe I was paying a lot of attention to their counsel.

Happy - I haven't belonged to the local RWA chapter for over five years. Here, they have meetings on Saturdays and that's sports games, skiing and family activity day for us so I rarely got to attend. It just wasn't worth the annual dues after a couple of years. With all the on line stuff now, I haven't missed it.

But many writers love their local chapters and couldn't imagine not being members. I've belonged to RWA chapters in three different states where I've lived since deciding I wanted to write romances. Some meetings were great, others were a waste of time. But it was great as a newbie (whether to romance writing or an area) to meet other romance writers. You can hook up with an in person critique group, get face-to-face support which is always nice and make friends.

Workshops will vary on who belongs to your chapter or who they'll bring in. National conference is an amazing, overwhelming experience if you can afford it. There are so many workshops to choose from, but you can also order the cd if you can't make it. Regional conferences can be fun, too, with workshops to pick from and cheaper than National.

But I'll be honest. I kept thinking there was some workshop out there that would be "it" for me. I'd finally learn everything I was struggling so hard to figure out on my own. Truth is, I'm still waiting for that to happen and I've sold many books since then. Yet every time I go to a workshop, I still wonder is this it! Will I finally learn what I'm supposed to know!

I think workshops (as well as craft books) can teach you some new things or tricks to try or new ways to think about things, but I believe the best hands on learning you can get is by writing a complete manuscript and then writing another and another, etc. Critique groups/partners are great to see where you can improve. I also think book editors have their place, too, if they are reputable and know romance. Pre-published, I used Wendy Corsi Staub, who had an editing service and gave great input that really helped me see my weaknesses.

My first three manuscripts were rejected by an editor at Silhouette who finally bought me, but all three taught me so much about the craft of writing. Much more than any conference or workshop or book ever could. Those mss. will never be published nor would I ever attempt to rewrite them, but they are more valuable to me in making a writer than anything else I've done.

Sorry, more than you asked for but I could talk writing all night long!

Jumping in late...

I'm a writer, too, and I have a freelance editing business. It was very hard to write when the kids were young and I started by blocking out 15 minutes a day for myself to write. Once I got a taste of that, I wanted more.

I had to have several tantrums to get some time carved out for myself. The kids didn't get it, and dh didn't totally get it at first. I'd always been available 24/7 before.

Now that the kids are older I spend a lot of time each day either writing or editing. I have a laptop and I work all over the house. Last year all the kids tried doing Nano with me. One succeeded. This year we're gearing up again. I am self-published and plan to be "published" within the next 12 months.

I also run the Best of the Best Ebook Contest and have packages for first time authors and more experienced authors. Just take a look at my Editor Jennifer website below.

It's awesome that there are so many writers here. November should be fun.

Raising my hand! I try to write in the mornings before son gets up. It is the only free quiet time I have in the day to do so.

I will be doing NaNoWriMO this year for the 3rd year in a row. I'm currently in the prepublished or aspiring writer stage. Have two wips, one of which I'm currently rewriting the whole thing and one waiting for edits. New story will be a mystery.

(eek, this is my third try at posting this! *crosses fingers*)

I did NaNo as an unencumbered newlywed (I made my own hours at work and took the entire month off). I haven't been brave enough to attempt it while pregnant or with a new baby (story of my life for the last five years!). My husband wants to try it this year and our youngest turned one, so we're giving it a shot. I'm 20K into my latest WIP, and, at my speed, I'm sure I'll have over 50K to go by the time November rolls around.

~Rabia

I've been writing since I was a kid. It's only the last few years that I've disciplined myself to finish a few things, and actually write on the computer so they're not just scribblings in my notebooks. Currently I have several short novels sitting on my hard drive. I haven't gotten up the nerve to try and get published. The whole process just seems so intimidating. I've recently gone as far as looking for an agent; I haven't quite talked myself into sending out any query letters.

I write science fiction and fantasy, and haven't convinced myself that there'll be enough interest in the themes I take on to get me published.

Happy - I haven't belonged to the local RWA chapter for over five years. Here, they have meetings on Saturdays and that's sports games, skiing and family activity day for us so I rarely got to attend. It just wasn't worth the annual dues after a couple of years. With all the on line stuff now, I haven't missed it.

But many writers love their local chapters and couldn't imagine not being members. I've belonged to RWA chapters in three different states where I've lived since deciding I wanted to write romances. Some meetings were great, others were a waste of time. But it was great as a newbie (whether to romance writing or an area) to meet other romance writers. You can hook up with an in person critique group, get face-to-face support which is always nice and make friends.

Workshops will vary on who belongs to your chapter or who they'll bring in. National conference is an amazing, overwhelming experience if you can afford it. There are so many workshops to choose from, but you can also order the cd if you can't make it. Regional conferences can be fun, too, with workshops to pick from and cheaper than National.

But I'll be honest. I kept thinking there was some workshop out there that would be "it" for me. I'd finally learn everything I was struggling so hard to figure out on my own. Truth is, I'm still waiting for that to happen and I've sold many books since then. Yet every time I go to a workshop, I still wonder is this it! Will I finally learn what I'm supposed to know!

I think workshops (as well as craft books) can teach you some new things or tricks to try or new ways to think about things, but I believe the best hands on learning you can get is by writing a complete manuscript and then writing another and another, etc. Critique groups/partners are great to see where you can improve. I also think book editors have their place, too, if they are reputable and know romance. Pre-published, I used Wendy Corsi Staub, who had an editing service and gave great input that really helped me see my weaknesses.

My first three manuscripts were rejected by an editor at Silhouette who finally bought me, but all three taught me so much about the craft of writing. Much more than any conference or workshop or book ever could. Those mss. will never be published nor would I ever attempt to rewrite them, but they are more valuable to me in making a writer than anything else I've done.

Sorry, more than you asked for but I could talk writing all night long!

Melissa you can talk writing with me a n y t i m e at all and all night long. :D

I heard an interesting piece of advice the other day. Write your story. If you think something isn't quite right with it, put it away. Write two more stories. Then go back to the first. You'll know how to fix it by then. That wisdom echoes what I heard from an New York editor a few years ago...she didn't want first books, she wanted third books. She felt by then the writer had found her/his voice and learned to write. Plus, three books shows perserverance.

I also know what you mean about workshops and seminar. I started my professional creative life as a photographer. In my early twenties (wow, so long ago) I attended a small, intense workshop. At one point, when the instructor was out of the room, one of the men in the group said, I thought he was going to tell us what new lens to buy or what piece of equipment would make me a better photographer. I stood there, speechless. Even as unformed as I was, I knew it wasn't the equipment that made the artistic statement, but ME. My heart. My vision.

As a writer, I know there is a time to put away the writing books, stop with the workshops and seminars, and quit talking about writing and put my rear in the chair and my fingers on the key board and WRITE.

I've learned a bunch on this thread. Thanks to all who've participated!

I write science fiction and fantasy, and haven't convinced myself that there'll be enough interest in the themes I take on to get me published.

My only words of wisdom here...write what you LOVE. Don't worry about the market.

Personally, I love sci-fi. If you add a dollop of romance, I'm in heaven. ;)

I scrapped it.

My WIP was giving me fits. I think that's the biggest reason I wasn't actively WRITING it as much as I wanted. So, I've decided to start over.

The story I was writing (and may someday come back to when I have fresh insight) was kind of one-dimensional. Not enough conflict and - being honest here - had already been done by writers a lot more talented than me.

So, I'm starting over. Deep breath. Here we go (again). Word count: 0. Goal: 250 words a day. I will not be discouraged.... (ha) OK, seriously, I'm kind of sad, which is stupid, but whatever. I'm moving on.... :auto: