Menu

Does a 1 yo wear a coat? Snowsuit?

Trying to figure out what my little one needs for this fall/winter. He'll be 1 in October, and we don't particularly get snow till late December, early January. Will he use a snowsuit and play in the snow? Or will he get overwhelmed and just whine to come in? And what do I put him in for going to town? With his infant carseat (the kind you carry), I had a snuggly thing like a sleeping blanket, so he didn't wear a coat. Guess I wouldn't be that lucky with the big kid carseat, eh? Any tips?

Trying to figure out what my little one needs for this fall/winter. He'll be 1 in October, and we don't particularly get snow till late December, early January. Will he use a snowsuit and play in the snow? Or will he get overwhelmed and just whine to come in? And what do I put him in for going to town? With his infant carseat (the kind you carry), I had a snuggly thing like a sleeping blanket, so he didn't wear a coat. Guess I wouldn't be that lucky with the big kid carseat, eh? Any tips?

You're actually not supposed to put kids in carseats with heavy coats on. Usually, it means you have to loosen the straps, and then you end up with extra space between the kid and the straps. I've always warmed the car up a bit first (though we're usually parked in the garage, so I don't often need to), then put the kids in without coats. So I'd buy a coat for going from place to place outside the car.

As for snowsuits, we've never bought one, but we're in NJ, so we don't get too much snow anymore. When we do get snow, the girls go out in lots of layers--leggings under heavy fleece pants, a couple pairs of socks, and snow boots (from Goodwill), an undershirt, long-sleeved T, fleece jacket, heavy coat, etc. This has worked fine for us. Depending on how much snow you get, though, a snowsuit might be a good investment. Check your local consignment and thrift stores, or eBay.

You're actually not supposed to put kids in carseats with heavy coats on. Usually, it means you have to loosen the straps, and then you end up with extra space between the kid and the straps. I've always warmed the car up a bit first (though we're usually parked in the garage, so I don't often need to), then put the kids in without coats. So I'd buy a coat for going from place to place outside the car.

If you want a snowsuit for snow play I would buy a used one.

Instead of a snow suit, I prefer snow pants (either pants or the bib overalls--ski pants, I think they are called) and a jacket. That way, a little one can have just a jacket when needed or use both and still keep warm in the damp. Nothing bulky here--our friends used that kind of coat that was very warm without the bulk--I think Land's End carries them--so that the car seat straps fit.

I would go for a 2 piece. For a toddler I would get the kind that had bib overalls. I still prefer that kind for my girls because the snow doesn't get in. I would also look for the ones that have booties on the bottom. My dds both had snow pants and boots for winter, but then winter is a 6 month affair where I live.:lol: Although, now that my brain cells are firing I remember my girls having a one piece snowsuit when they were toddlers. It was wonderful and they did play in the snow. (got some cute pics too)

As far as a snowsuit and a carseat....really you have to choose your battles. It might be fine to warm up the car for someone who lives where it isn't very cold, but when it's really cold it doesn't get warm enough to shed the snow pants unless you're going on a long trip. If my kids hadn't worn a snowsuit they would have frozen.;) You also have to be prepared for the unexpected. What would happen if you had car trouble and you had to leave your car? I'm not trying to belittle anyone else's thoughts on the issue but you need to be prepared for the location that you're in.

HTH

We do snowsuits for playing outside until they are potty trained then switch to snow pants.

For out and about each kid has had a coat that we put on when they get out of the car. When we leave the house they wear a sweatshirt or sweater and we just carry them out to a prewarmed car wrapped up with their car blanket (one of those 2 layer fleece tie blankets, and of course their hat/mittens). I have just never been comfortable buckling a kid into a carseat with a coat on. It's too hard to get the straps tight and if you do they tend to be uncomfortable because they are hot and have all the layers of coat squished around their arms/face.

This worked for us even in -20 temps.

When mine was little I always had the bib overall snowpants along with a coat. Regular snowpants would just get snow down the pants or on the belly when playing around in the snow and that's never fun. They edjust quite a bit so you can get at least two years out of the pants. We got 3 full winters out of a coat we bought large as well.

I would get a fleece one piece with flip covers for the hands and feet for everyday use.

For snow, I'd get a two piece bib and jacket set, but only if I could find it for cheap. If your planning on more it's worth the investment to pass down, otherwise I'd skip it or get it used/sale/cheap.

Otherwise, lots and lots of layers would do, along with wind pants to keep them dry. In my experience, at 1 yr they don't like to be in the snow for very long-5-10 min. If they are a little older though, and walking well they may spend a little more time out in it.

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but when mine were all about 1yr. of age, they really did NOT like the snow and the cold, so they didn't want to get in it.

Have you seen those buntings that fit in the carseat and zip around the child like a blanket? Those are the BEST inventions ever! No blankets falling off, no bulky snowsuits to try to squeeze the child in and out of (they really like that...:glare: ) They even sell ones for toddlers that can fit around a stroller. Love 'em!

Janet, that's really neat! We're going to be up that way later on. I should look in the stores and see what other goodies you snow-lovers have. :)

HerbalGirl-I have a BundleMe insert we used with his infant seat. I'm still in the process of picking his next seat. I don't know if I'll use a BundleMe then or not. I liked it a LOT in the infant seat, but I thought I saw someone saying they aren't recognized as safe and can affect seat function. I don't know. One more thing to research!

Well, here in Cincinnati, where winter avgs in the 30's, with 1 or 2 big snowfalls a year, and maybe 10 days in the teens, we had a fleece blanket to cover them in the car. We buy most of their winter coats and snowpants second hand or at Target. They just don't use it that much around here. And for car trips, they were a fleece hoodie. That way they can tie it around their waist and I don't have to carry all their coats. But that's Cincinnati. :tongue_smilie: