Menu

16th birthday - eighties theme. . .

great ideas. . .everyone is to come dressed for the decade. . .she is leaning toward somehow crafting "flashdance" attire as a project. . .or bangle bracelets. . .she is previewing movies now. and we will be planning a menu soon.

thanks to all! keep any more ideas comin'!

(fwiw i was 16 in the 80's - i think i've blocked it out!)

I do not approve of this party theme.

(It makes me feel old.)

I agree with Julie, it does make me feel old :) But I did think of a 'craft' idea. I don't know where you would be able to find them, but remember the necklaces that you would twist together? You could get them in all different colors, and they had a metal clip to hold them together.....

Anybody else remember them?

Heather in MD

great ideas. . .everyone is to come dressed for the decade. . .she is leaning toward somehow crafting "flashdance" attire as a project. . .or bangle bracelets. . .she is previewing movies now. and we will be planning a menu soon.

thanks to all! keep any more ideas comin'!

(fwiw i was 16 in the 80's - i think i've blocked it out!)

Maybe they could all make a music/karaoke (sp?) video together. The 80s were when MTV started. (And, yes, I remember that. LOL.)

So much great music to pick from...! :D

I don't know where you would be able to find them, but remember the necklaces that you would twist together? You could get them in all different colors, and they had a metal clip to hold them together.....

Anybody else remember them?

Heather in MD

Yes, I remember them. LOL.

Colourful-Twisted-Neckalce-big.png

I loved the 80s (but not those necklaces, lol).

I, too, dislike this as a theme because it makes me feel old. :D

Alas, I have some ideas....

I think it's a *must* that you play New Kids On the Block videos on a continuous loop (Jordan Knight... be still my heart!)

Friendship bracelets out of embroidery floss for your craft

Not too sure about 80's foods...

You gotta do some sort of "big hair" contest, I think, also. A can of $.88 Aqua Net would be a cute favor.....If you do favors, which I do not think are necessary...:tongue_smilie:

OOOOOOOH, how about a seminar on tight-rolling jeans! (and why this only looks good when you are like 10 years old and have not had any children yet)

This sounds fun!

OOOOHHHH, the 80's. Yep, I am feeling my age.

We did this for my daughter. Kids came dressed in 80's clothes. Mainly Madonna outfits(from when she was young in the 80's, not now...LOL). The million bracelets on one arm up to the elbow, lace nylons, mini skirt, big hair with a bow, lace glove. Many came in Jordache jeans with hot pink legwarmers, oversized shirts with shoulder pads, and a wide belt.

Lucky for my daughter, I kept my old "RELAX" and "CHOOSE LIFE" T-shirt from both Frankie Goes to Hollywood, and George Michael.

I also had ALL my 80's music pre-recorded off my 'boom box" as a kid. All on cassette tapes.

We had (or I made) pieces of paper with 80's talk. "Like, OMG gag me"

"Like gag me with a spoon", "That is SO grody to the max".

I also put out Devo hats.

It was a real blast. I even had fun, since it was {{sigh}} my "era".(I remember seeing Madonna's Like a Virgin tour when I was 14...AAACK.

Fun! So much potential...

I graduated in 1986, so I was in the thick of it.

I just always remember having Sour Cream and Onion potato chips or Cool Ranch Doritos at parties along with orange pop...remember Sunkist? It was the "in" pop. Reese's Pieces (because of E.T.) were always at parties. Bubblicious, Bubble Yum and Hubba Bubba bubble gum would be a good party favor if you are doing those...especially grape or watermelon. Haagen Dazs (how DO you spell that?) with Mrs. Field's chocolate chip cookies would make a good dessert...both very popular. Pizza Hut Pan Pizza began in the 80's...mmmm, I can just taste the grease.

I love the twisted bead necklace idea as a craft...anything plastic and bright. If you can find opalescent nail polish (purple shimmer over obnoxious pink or purple) the girls could give each other manicures.

Have fun!!

What about old banana hair clips... girls used to weave in ribbons & beads somehow for decoration... bow on top, etc. Can you still find those things?

Love that twist-a-bead necklace!

As for a craft... the cut/shredded t-shirts are an easy idea.

Another is to sand down or file holes into jeans.... can't really shoot them with the shotguns on the clothesline at a party.;)

I thought of crimped hair also. Watch ST. Elmo's Fire & Pretty in Pink for inspiration!