Menu

Math / Pre-Algebra & Algebra I

sixglides

HELP! I'm completely math impaired, still count on my fingers. My 8th grade daughter has done Teaching Textbooks Algebra I, the first 30 lessons, TWICE & ends up in tears. We moved her back to Saxon Algebra 1/2, about half way through the book. I'm basically no help to her, my husband is great at math, his time is just more limited.

What is a good math program to use, when I'm not a good resource to her?

For pre-algebra, I LOVE Kiss My Math by Danica McKellar. It's not a textbook - you can usually find it with the math study guides in a bookstore or library. You can work through the book chapter by chapter, or use it as a resource to help explain concepts as needed. She has a wonderful way of explaining math concepts so that girls can relate them to real life. It's funny, she's very encouraging, and it's also really solid. I did really well in math, and I still learned some tips and tricks from reading her books (Math Doesn't Suck is her first book, and it's just as good).

Contrary to what you may think MOST students do not take Algebra 1 until 9th grade... and that is a GOOD thing--because MOST students really are not ready for that level of thinking until then. Even students who take Algebra 1 in 9th grade can go on to be rocket scientists--I have several friends who did!

I suggest relaxing a bit--especially since the start has been so traumatic. I'd also suggest going with a workbok such as Lial's Basic College Math--and working the odds or every other odd in the chapters she needs more work in. The examples are CLEAR and the 6th or 7th editions can be purchased for around $10-15 in like new condition--SHIPPED!

After the BCM review then move on to the Keys to Algebra series to complete the year and maybe next summer. This will gradually re-introduce Algebra while taking the stress away. One more year will make a HUGE difference--and the extra practice and review will make her homework later on so much easier because her foundation will be so strong!

Also, you might look into finding a math tutor to help guide her once she begins Algebra again--in the majority of cases the 'wrong thinking' of the student is based on a simple missed concept--and once that is brought out into the open the world of Algebra opens up.

Normally I would suggest switching Algebra programs--but in your case I just don't think that your dd was ready. The first 30 lessons of TT's Algebra are Pre-Algebra--so that tells me that a bit more time in the basics would do her a world of good!

Please let her know that she is NOT behind--she is on target. Remember that not all children are reading their first chapter book at the age of 5--but most are by age 9--and by age 12 they are on the SAME level playing field.

Contrary to what you may think MOST students do not take Algebra 1 until 9th grade... and that is a GOOD thing--because MOST students really are not ready for that level of thinking until then. Even students who take Algebra 1 in 9th grade can go on to be rocket scientists--I have several friends who did!

I totally agree here.

I suggest relaxing a bit--especially since the start has been so traumatic. I'd also suggest going with a workbok such as Lial's Basic College Math--and working the odds or every other odd in the chapters she needs more work in. The examples are CLEAR and the 6th or 7th editions can be purchased for around $10-15 in like new condition--SHIPPED!

I haven't used this before but have used the Keys to program for fractions, decimals, percents. I don't want to fill your head with a bunch of different math programs but I will suggest that you take a minute and ask yourself a few questions. Did she master the basics??? fractions, decimals, percents, unit conversions??? If not, you DEFINITELY need to do that prior to starting algebra. TT starts off using these concepts with algebra. My other questions...how did she do with Saxon? TT and Saxon are very different programs. Did you switch because of a problem with Saxon? If yes, then don't go back to it. TT also has a pre-algebra program. The first half of it is a review of the concepts I mentioned above. TT was designed to help students that seem to have trouble with math, although it can work for all students.

Or, you can design your own pre-algebra program. That's what I am doing. We switched curriculum so much when she was coming out of ps that I wanted to make sure we filled in the gaps before she started algebra. (I knew better but I just couldn't fine ONE that I liked.) Life of Fred Fractions and Life of Fred Decimals and Percents is a "pre-algebra" program, according to the author. I'm currently using Fractions and my dd likes it. She says he's "tricky". She thought it was going to be really easy and was upset at first that I'm having her use it. But he introduces more than fractions and so far I really like the book. She says he's funny. If you see a troublesome area, you could pull in some Keys to books for that concept. You could even use the Keys to books by themselves to reteach missed concepts. However, these were not designed to be stand alone programs. So, eventually you'll get back into TT or whatever you decide. I'm using Singapore right now along with Fred. I may decide that Fred is indeed a stand alone program like he says. If not, and if she can handle SM, I will continue with SM into algebra. If not, I'll evaluate what to do then.

then move on to the Keys to Algebra series to complete the year and maybe next summer. This will gradually re-introduce Algebra while taking the stress away. One more year will make a HUGE difference--and the extra practice and review will make her homework later on so much easier because her foundation will be so strong!

Again, I agree. However, I'm going to go on to algebra after finishing what I outlined above. If I have problems, I will use Keys to Algebra for extra practice.

Also, you might look into finding a math tutor to help guide her once she begins Algebra again--in the majority of cases the 'wrong thinking' of the student is based on a simple missed concept--and once that is brought out into the open the world of Algebra opens up.

If she struggles when you introduce algebra again, and the ideas above do not help, get a tutor. When you use TT, did you use everything with it??? Did you use the CDs for lecture and solutions to problems?

Hope this helps. I'm in a hurry but wanted to offer some advice. I've taught algebra in ps and now to hs kids. Again, 9th grade is just fine for algebra if she's not ready for it this year :)

For you: Forgotten Algebra...it's like $1 on amazon and can help you.

Math-U-See can be a nice instructor at a reasonable price. In your case, I'd start with pre-alg.

Life of Fred may help both of you.

Mostly, relax...avoid the tears!

Could dh be a weekend instructor?

Your last options: co-op or private tutor.

You have a few choices:

1. Hire a tutor

2. Get yourself up to speed by doing the program with her or remediating yourself so that you're capable of helping her

3. Talk to your dh about making more time available to help dd

Leaving her on her own with a new program probably won't resolve the problem; she needs help.

HELP! I'm completely math impaired, still count on my fingers. My 8th grade daughter has done Teaching Textbooks Algebra I, the first 30 lessons, TWICE & ends up in tears. We moved her back to Saxon Algebra 1/2, about half way through the book. I'm basically no help to her, my husband is great at math, his time is just more limited.

What is a good math program to use, when I'm not a good resource to her?

Haven't used it yet, but I plan on using Hands on Equations before regular Algebra, just to help eliminate some of the problems of going from concrete topics to in concrete. It might help her make that developmental leap needed. There is also a practice book, so if she also needs time, this might be a great way to give her the time she needs without standing still.

Heather

Jann in TX is correct. I'd find something else to do in math, and try Algebra 1 again in gr 9. Really. I'm not a fan of TT Algebra (which we own), so I won't suggest that one, but I do like Life of Fred and the old Dolciani Algebra books. Doing Key To Algebra before taking another Algebra 1 course is a good idea, based on what I've seen with other teens. We didn't end up trying it with my eldest, but I'm keeping it in mind in case I need to with another child.

For pre-algebra, I LOVE Kiss My Math by Danica McKellar.

We love this book too! It's great for girls - it gives girl examples and the types of quizzes you find in teen magazines. My non-mathy DD actually enjoyed it.

For you: Forgotten Algebra...it's like $1 on amazon and can help you.

This is a great book!

How about Pre-Algebra Demystified or Painless Algebra?

For a math curriculum, CLE is awesome! We are 6 weeks into it and my DD never needs my help - it's totally independent. We used Saxon last year and she did well with it, but it was painful to get her to do the work and it seemed like I had to hold her hand a lot. In CLE, I review her work a couple times a week and when I notice she's missed a few similar problems, in the next lesson it's covered again and she has it sorted out by then. I'm totally impressed.

Good luck!

Edited by amtmcm