Menu

Need science suggestions for 12 yr old boy that loves experiments

sandalwood

I'm at a loss on a new science to choose. My son is 6th grade, 12 years old and all "boy" as far as science goes. For example, this morning before we started lessons he took some old electrical wires, rigged them up to an old cassette player & somehow hooked the wires & cassette player up on his dvd player and made the dvd player play the cassette music. He does stuff like this all the time. Rigs up stuff, etc. He just "gets it" and is out of my league as far as science goes.

He's bored with his science book because he says he "knows it all" already (using R & S). I need a science program with a lot of experiments but very, very budget friendly (that is an issue for us). In the past we have done Sonlight sciences but stopped it at 3 when it was on the TOPS plants. That was a huge bust for him. We have done several of the younger apologia books (elem), too--in fact, I think all of them except the newest one. Does anyone have any suggestions? His writing ability is not the best, so if it had a ton of writing, he would balk at it. Any just "fun" yet reasonably priced science out there with a lot of experiments? Thanks for any help!

I looked into the Young Scientists Club, complete kits that you can choose and buy, either monthly subscription or choose the subject matter that appeals to you. It is recommended by The Old Schoolhouse magazine:

http://www.theyoungscientistsclub.com/programs.html

There are other "science in a box" type programs out there. If you Google I am sure you might find something that would excite your son.

Blessings

My 13 year old is LOVING Supercharged science. It is not budget friendly though. The kits are expensive. There is also a new, online science program for your son. That is $27 a month. What makes this program awesome is Aurora, the instructor. She is cool and motivational. Your son will love it!

www.superchargedscience.com

www.sciencelearningspace.com

Aurora also has free teleclasses and, I think, free downloadable experiments. Get on her mailing list and you will receive them.

We second Supercharged Science. The children (ages 14 down to 4) love it! Aurora is super and she makes everything exciting. This is mainly a hands on program, and there are tons of experiments. We have the Science Mastery kit and are considering doing the online program. Supercharged Science gets our vote.

Melinda

Conceptual Physics.

It's an actual textbook (we had the college ed but there is also a high school ed). It was the only textbook ds (who also hot wired cassette players) actually was interested in and would probably have read even if it hadn't been a class. It has all the fun physics stuff with precious little math.

The other cost effective plan was the dump. They have "recycle" just about anything there and he would pick up all sorts of older model electronics (lighting and sound) to assemble, rearrange and reassemble again and again.

I love the look of Supercharged Science. For those that are using it, are you using it alone or alongside a different program? How often do you do the projects in Supercharged Science?

To the OP, another hands-on program is Exploration Education.

Your ds might also like Make Magazine. You could check your local bookstore. Also, he'd probably enjoy poking around on their website.