Menu

We found a genre that ds13 likes!

lisabees

Yay! My struggling reader has read almost two books in his first week of school. His favorite was his "free reading" book, "Diary of a Wimpy Kid". Classic literature, huh? Anyway, while searching for his next book, he said he likes "funny" books. Any ideas out there for books with a quirky sense of humor?

DS hasn't ever really finished a book. So this is HUGE for us. In fact, ds said that in two weeks of hs he read more books than he did in all of last few years!!!! I think he is very proud - as he should be.

I would love ideas for 5th grade reading level. Maybe sixth grade. He has jumped a few grade levels since I started working with him.

Lisa

Hi Lisa,

My kids are younger than your son, so take my ideas with a grain of salt. :001_smile: Both my dss love reading funny books. Their favorite books with twisted humor were by far all the books by Roal Dahl. You son may enjoy some of them. Another 'funny' series but very easy reading is 'Captain Underpants.' It is not great reading but hey... We also went through a phase of 'Bunnicula' and 'Hank, the cowdog.'

Good Luck.

Susie

Congrats,

I don't have any suggestions but know what it's like to have a reader that just does't seem interested in anything.

My now 10 y/o was like that until this year when I brought home the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series. He wouldn't read anything more than Magic Tree House before and it would take him a month to read one of those.

It took him a month to read the 1st Percy Jackson book but only a week and a half to read the 2nd.

I wish you luck in finding your son some things to read.

My 10 year old likes reading these same kind of books. There are several sequels to Diary of a Wimpy Kid, I second Percy Jackson because it is a fast moving adventure story and have to love the Greek mythology references! I had to buy our own set one by one as he devoured the books and my 10 year says he wants to learn Greek now!

We read Captain Underpants series about a year or two ago but they are the same genre as Diary.

There Be Monsters -- Alan Snow

Joan Aiken's Arabel and Mortimer series and short stories

Paddington

Freddy the Pig series by Brooks

The Fire Thief trilogy by Terry Deary

Edward Eager

Hank the Cowdog

Jules Feiffer

Professor Branestawm series

some Eva Ibbotson

Emmy and the Incredible Shrinking Rat

Howl's Moving Castle

some Margaret Mahy, especially The Great Piratical Rumbustification

Measle series by Ogilvy

Lemony Snicket

James Thurber

The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner

Terry Pratchet's kid's books

Some people may not like these, they're definitly not quality literature, but my dd loves The Day My Butt Went Psycho. There are 3 books in the series. We're currently on the second one, Zombie Butts From Uranus. I have to admit, there have been a few times the books have made me giggle. Who knew there were so many butt jokes?

Thank you all! I will definitely check all of your ideas out.

We just returned from a field trip - our first! We saw Hawks migrating while at Hawk Mountain, PA. Fun! :001_smile:

Thanks again for all of your great suggestions!

Hi to the other Mom of Noah, 13!!!! ;)

Lisa

In the non-fiction realm, you might take a look for Oh, Yuck! The Encyclopedia of Everything Nasty {and yes, that cover art is pretty yucky!} and Oh, Yikes!: History's Grossest Moments {wow, this one is on sale!} both by Joy Masoff. They are guaranteed to pull in just about any reader of any age, husbands and older siblings included.

Regards,

Kareni