Menu

Submitting Application?

Blue Hen

DS has all his paperwork ready to submit to several colleges. He is taking the SAT on Oct 10th. Is there any compelling reason why he should wait until after he takes the SAT to submit his applications to these colleges? Several of these colleges have application deadlines of Nov 1st if you wish to be considered for merit aid so we won't have his Oct SAT scores back before then to put on his transcript. Will they be able to see his Oct scores when they look at his application, provided they look after Nov 1st or 15th or whenever the October scores get posted.

Thanks

I would send it in and just put the projected test date on the transcript. They will want it officially from the College Board anyway, whether it's on the transcript or not.

I know that West Point will continue to add stuff to your file and I suspect most other colleges will as well. Whether they will consider him for a merit scholarship before the scores come in is another story, but they certainly won't consider him without the application.

DS has all his paperwork ready to submit to several colleges. He is taking the SAT on Oct 10th. Is there any compelling reason why he should wait until after he takes the SAT to submit his applications to these colleges? Several of these colleges have application deadlines of Nov 1st if you wish to be considered for merit aid so we won't have his Oct SAT scores back before then to put on his transcript. Will they be able to see his Oct scores when they look at his application, provided they look after Nov 1st or 15th or whenever the October scores get posted.

Thanks

I would suggest waiting until after the October SAT test date to submit it so you can say that he "took" the test and they will be receiving the scores.

If you sent it in now saying he was going to take the SAT, and then he didn't (maybe he got sick), then they would be looking for scores that weren't coming.

If the deadline is Nov 1, and you send it in by mid-October, then you'll beat it by several weeks. When my son applied early action to a couple of places last year, I thought everything had to be in by the Nov 1 date. When I called, I found that they expect that the application will be in by Nov 1 but that other paperwork like test scores and secondary school transcripts might arrive a week or two later.

If you want to clarify that, you might call the schools in question and inquire about their policy.

Brenda

You might be able to get his scores electronically before Nov 1--or do you know that already? :D

Either way, it's not unusual for kids to send in either a first or a second set of SAT's later. Just get the main parts of the app in--the essay, a preliminary transcript, the address/phone number kind of paperwork--the rest can come later. You might as well send in the stuff after he takes the test.

I would suggest waiting until after the October SAT test date to submit it so you can say that he "took" the test and they will be receiving the scores.

If you sent it in now saying he was going to take the SAT, and then he didn't (maybe he got sick), then they would be looking for scores that weren't coming.

If the deadline is Nov 1, and you send it in by mid-October, then you'll beat it by several weeks.]

As long as you submit by the deadlin....I would also wait till I knew that the test was actually done.

There is nothing wrong with submitting the app, with the scores pending, but if you are worried about the earlier scores, or particularly want these scores to be preeminent...they i would want to wait till I knew it was a done deal.