Menu

What's On Your Ipod? I Need Ideas!

Dh and dd gave me my very own ipod for my birthday! It's the brand-new 5th generation Nano--- though I've wanted one forever, and every day hear a song on the radio and think, "Hey! I"ll have to remember to put that on my ipod if I ever get one!" now I"m actually sitting at the computer and am at a loss!

Here's a bit about me:

Child of the '70's and '80's.

Love classic rock, '60's folk, singer/songwriter, vocals, classic love songs, a VERY LITTLE country--not much at all, but enough that it's worth mentioning, I guess.

Soo....what's on your ipod?

astrid

I'm a loser. I have books. All those classics the kids never leave me alone long enough to think hard enough to get through. When I have those things in my ears, I can't hear the kids...it works out really well. ;)

Other than that, I have some music. My favorite lately is Rocky Votolato -a little rocksy/folksy/sort-of-countryesque (DEFINITELY NOT the country I'm assuming you would hate; he's "that guy and his guitar" sort of countryesque), I suppose. Okay, I can't quite place him at all, but I really dig his album Makers.

You know, I just can't really do audiobooks! I think I must be the only one on the planet! I like to see the words in front of me; I get too distracted while listening to an audiobook. Plus, I never have enough uninterrupted time! Maybe now I'll be more motivated to walk on the treadmill and listen to an audiobook.

astrid

What is on my Ipod??The Road by Cormac Mccarthy. Chilling and beautiful.

Why I am a Democrat by Garrison Keillor. He is like my grandpa and I just love him.

John Prine Songs-folk with lyrics cribbed from the angels

The Dubliners-knock back a Guinness while walking on the treadmill, it works. If I could hold a bucket of chicken at the same time I would actually use the d**n thing.

Pete Seeger-Makes humanity seem almost decent at times. His version of Ode to Joy titled Russian Song is for me the heart of progressive political thought.

Jimi Hendrix-Electric Ladyland

That's all folks.

Ok, I've been sitting here wanting to post with suggestions but am feeling insecure about my ipod selections. I'll just post with the artist/group and maybe it will jog your memory? Here goes:

Jack Johnson, Lynyrd Skynyrd, AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, Van Halen, Doobie Brothers, Billy Joel, Bob Seger, The Clash.

I don't actually listen to the older rock much anymore but it is on my iPod. :D

Lately some of my favorites are:

1. All of Jack Johnson's songs - the whole family really likes his music

2. Say Hey I Love You by Michael Franti & Spearhead

3. Fallin for You by Colbie Caillat

4. Rock and Roll by Eric Hutchinson -beat is good/lyrics-eh

5. Genius of Love by The Tomtom Club

6. The Sweet Escape by Gwen Stefani

7. we also really like Allison Krauss' music - but it is more on the country side.

8.Be Ok by Ingrid Michaelson

Well, I have many more but I don't want to overdo it. :) Hope that helps you out some.

Ummm, I havent got around to putting music on mine yet :)

I have lectures by spiritual teachers I love. I have ebooks and audiobooks. I have bought all these apps that do things like play the round of waves and running streams and frogs, to go to sleep by. I have guided meditations.

I will get around to music at some stage I guess :)

Here's a bit about me:

Child of the '70's and '80's.

Love classic rock, '60's folk, singer/songwriter, vocals, classic love songs, a VERY LITTLE country--not much at all, but enough that it's worth mentioning, I guess.

Soo....what's on your ipod?

astrid

My taste is a a bit different from yours, so most of my iPod wouldn't rock your boat ... but the few standouts on my iPod that would fall within your guidelines are:

vintage Aerosmith

Joan Baez

The Who

Pink Floyd

Fleetwood Mac

Foreigner

Rush

the Police

Boston

... and other staples from my iPod:

Elvis

Beatles

Blondie

... and not from my iPod, but sound like your taste:

Eagles

Genesis

Foreigner

Air Supply

Chicago

vintage Van Halen

That should give you a bit of a start ~ enjoy your new toy!

Crosby, Stills, Nash, & Young

Neil Young

Grateful Dead

Bob Marley

Ziggy Marley

Eric Clapton

The Who

older Beatles (think Twist and Shout)

Jimi Hendrix

Jefferson Airplane

The Doors

Talking Heads

The Ramones

The Clash

X

Todd Rundgren

Nirvana

Stone Temple Pilots

Living Color

Santana

Snow Patrol

Red Hot Chili Peppers

Pearl Jam

U2

Live

Damien Rice

PJ Harvey

Sarah McLachlan

Vast

I am probably no help. I tend to choose music like I choose curriculum.:D Classic rock, punk, alternative, new age, blues, southern rock and some classical which is one genre I am currently exploring.

Have fun! Oh and Happy Belated Birthday.:party:Hope it was a great one.

Simon & Garfunkle. And/or Paul Simon. There. I said it. That and Frank Sinatra and Louis Armstrong. Oh, and the whole soundtrack from Forrest Gump. Would you enjoy Billy Joel or Elton John? I'm just going off of what my husband - also a child of the 70s/80s - says he likes. I'd list what's really on my iPod except that you wouldn't care for most of it! Enjoy the new toy!

You know, I just can't really do audiobooks! I think I must be the only one on the planet! I like to see the words in front of me; I get too distracted while listening to an audiobook. Plus, I never have enough uninterrupted time! Maybe now I'll be more motivated to walk on the treadmill and listen to an audiobook.

astrid

I am with you except Audiobooks just put me to sleep. I still need the real thing.

I have a very eclectic mix of music on my ipod right now including some Veggie Tales and Backyardigans in case I need it to keep the kids occupied. A lot of mine is country so I won't really mention that.

One of my absolute favorite albums on my ipod is Levi Kreis, One of the Ones. He is a vocalist/piano player and I LOVE it. I also really like Raising Sand by Alison Krauss and Robert Plant. I have soundtracks to several Broadway musicals and a lot of individual songs that I just like to listen to, everything from Meatloaf to Kelly Clarkson. I also have lots of country, mostly Toby Keith, Brad Paisley and Sara Evans.

A huge mix....

My DD would recommend Peggle - yes, the GAME! LOL!!!

My older iPod has everything in my library on it.... so kids, to tween, to LOTS of 80's, to audiobooks...

My Touch just has my favs on it, which is a mix of songs covering country, jazz, alternative, 80's and such. I don't do limited well though.... i want more space :D

When I got my ipod, i just filled it with the cds I already owned. I occasionally buy new music from itunes. My most recent purchases are:

Kelly Clarkson

Daughtry

David Cook

August Rush Soundtrack

The Cure

INXS

Violent Femmes

Wicked Soundtrack

Becoming Jane Soundtrack

No Doubt

Pearl Jam

U2

The Police

Nickelback

Amy Winehouse

Have fun with your new ipod. I love mine!

Dh loads mine for me b/c I'm a techno dummy.

As a child of the 80s/90s who loves classic rock, I have a lot of the following:

Aerosmith

The Doors

Tom Petty

Every Guns n Roses song ever recorded, lol

Springsteen

John Mellencamp

Nirvana

Red Hot Chili Peppers

Journey

REO Speedwagon

The Cure

Blind Melon

Candlebox

Matchbox 20

Smashing Pumpkins

Train

Steve Miller Band

lots of Pink

Billy Joel

And a whole bunch of country, but you're not interested in that. ;)

Reading the lists, I just realized I need to get some Pink Floyd on there.

If you are hoping to find new stuff that fits your taste...http://www.pandora.com This site allow you to type an artist or band you like and they create a playlist that fits that style.

As for my ipod: ani difranco, andrew bird, band of horses, broken social scene, bob dylan, leonard cohen, martha and rufus wainwright, the avett brothers, ben folds, bill frisell, the black crowes, tom petty, bon iver, cat power, east forest, the frames, the swell season, iron and wine, kaki king, the kills,.....I could go on forever. I also discover loads of great music on http://www.npr.org. Enjoy your new pod...I love mine!:)

Bob Dylan

Indigo Girls

Jethro Tull

Johnny Cash

the Beatles

Neil Young

Cowboy Junkies

Norah Jones

The White Stripes

Shawn Colvin

Gillian Welch (alt country)

Van Morrison

Dire Straits

Derek Webb

BB King

PFR

Sting

Tom Waits

Darrell Scott & Tim O'Brien (bluegrass/country)

Thrice

Sixpence None the Richer

Steve Earle (country)

Marc Cohn

Simon & Garfunkle

Nina Simone

Magnolia Electric Co.

Neko Case

I keep most of my classic rock on record so the 2 worlds don't meet in my Ipod. My ipod is definitely more singer-songwriter. ;)