Menu

Almond Milk problems

Ok, I've tried several milk substitutes and found chocolate almond milk to taste ok, not great, but okay.

However, I think it gave me severe diarrhea the day I tried it. I had about a cup of it. Then yesterday, I tried about half a cup and got something just shy of diarrhea. I can't say that I'm 100% sure that's what's causing it but I'm pretty sure. I can't think of anything else that would be causing it.

Anyone hear of this problem with almond milk? Any ideas what it is about the almond milk that would be causing it? The cane syrup? The almonds?

Ok, I've tried several milk substitutes and found chocolate almond milk to taste ok, not great, but okay.

However, I think it gave me severe diarrhea the day I tried it. I had about a cup of it. Then yesterday, I tried about half a cup and got something just shy of diarrhea. I can't say that I'm 100% sure that's what's causing it but I'm pretty sure. I can't think of anything else that would be causing it.

Anyone hear of this problem with almond milk? Any ideas what it is about the almond milk that would be causing it? The cane syrup? The almonds?

Is it a raw milk or cooked?

The timing of your post is interesting. My DS was on rice milk and I ran out so because I drink almond milk I decided to give this to him instead. Over the past week and a half he has developed diarrhea that is progressively getting worse and I have suspected its the almond milk. I haven't seen it this bad since coming off of milk and soy because of collitis. I would be interested to see if anyone else has experienced this as well. I was afraid he might be allergic to this as well but maybe its common? :bigear:

The timing of your post is interesting. My DS was on rice milk and I ran out so because I drink almond milk I decided to give this to him instead. Over the past week and a half he has developed diarrhea that is progressively getting worse and I have suspected its the almond milk. I haven't seen it this bad since coming off of milk and soy because of collitis. I would be interested to see if anyone else has experienced this as well. I was afraid he might be allergic to this as well but maybe its common? :bigear:

I've only tried drinking it twice. The first time I had about a cup of it and I was in quite a bit of pain for several hours and then spent about half an hour on the toilet. It was BAD!

Yesterday, I only had 1/2 a cup. The pain wasn't as bad and I didn't have full-blown diarrhea...but definitely looser than normal stools.

Everything else in my diet is pretty standard for me other than it being non-dairy. I'm not eating anything I don't usually eat except for margarine instead of butter. I'm eating more fruit but not that much more. That first day, I had probably 2, maybe 3, servings of fruit so I don't think that is it.

I am also very surprised to see this post. I have been dealing with bloody poop (TMI I know!) in my four month old baby since she was six weeks old. We had been blood free for almost two weeks and it suddenly started again... improved for a few days... then back again. I may see a correlation with drinking the almond milk. I was wondering if we could be dealing with a peanut and milk allergy. I've noticed no side affects personally, though. Weird.

• 1 year later...
Guest Basial

I just had to take my son (5 y.o.) off of (vanilla) almond milk. His stools have always been a little soft but for the last 6 weeks they've been horrendous and with a lot of blood. Every stool sample/culture/blood tests were "normal, with a slight inflammation". He was drinking 1/2 gallon of vanilla almond milk PER DAYfor the last 2 1/2 years!! I realized that since the begining of this year he's had two bouts of walking pneumonia, he was sedated for a medical test and was anesthetized for an MRI ... the bloody diarrhea got even worse after the MRI. His immune system was weakend by all of these things and couldn't handle the almond milk anymore.

A friend of mine told me of her experience with almond milk ... she vomited blood and her husband passed blood in his stool. The blood stopped when they stopped drinking the almond milk. Her research concluded with the fact that the almond growers/producers have to fumigate the almonds before processing them. I then did my own research and found that some facility use "propylene oxide", or PPO, which is a known carcinogin for humans. GRRRR!! My son's bloody diarrhea has cleared up in the two weeks since taking him off of vanilla almond milk and this morning he had the most "normal" poop he's had in months (if not years). He's fighting the urge to ask for almond milk. I will wait to see if it continues to be normal. The next step for him is to get scoped in about a month. I pray that it will be "normal" / "everything is fine". I hope this helps someone with a possible answer.

Edited by Basial