Menu

When to apply if GPA is not high?

Chris in VA

As most of you know, ds17 has been in treatment for drug and alcohol abuse, and is now home. He managed to pull straight A's for the last 3 quarters of his 11th grade year, when he was in the alternative program offered at the center. His GPA is now about a 2.7, which speaks volumes about the grades prior to treatment. He will take the SAT in Oct, and then again in Nov and even in Dec if he has to. I predict his score will be about a 550 verbal and maybe he'll break 600 maths (not sure of grammar portion/essay).

He is doing GREAT at home, and is now in his senior year at our regular high school. I told him he needs to do really well this semester, to nudge that GPA up. So,my question is, since he could raise it just a bit, should he wait on applying for college until the last possible month or so? He could demonstrate on his transcript then the awesome changes he's made--Or, should he just turn his stuff in without a lot of proof that he can make it in a regular school? His recommendations will be strong, but mostly about his changes, potential, and work ethic (much improved now).

Could he plan on attending the local community college first, just to get and keep grades up and prove he can do the work. Then he could transfer to a 4-year college.

I used the local cc to improve my dismal (low C average - I HATED school) GPA - ended up at a four-year private school, then masters program at UCLA, then full tuition scholarship for doctoral program at Northwestern. There is NOTHING wrong with starting out at a community college.

I think he would find CC very disappointing, and I think I want him in a dorm with a few rules instead of in an apt--he's not going to live at home after next Aug. He's been hoping so much to go to 4 yr, and he's been working very hard, too. ITA that CC is a wonderful option, and I think it'd be ok if he lived at home, but that's not going to happen....I think!

But thanks for the suggestion.