Menu

A moment I need to remember

The floor needs to be swept, the laundry's piling up, my oldest and my youngest daughters' beds haven't been made, the game room looks like a tornado hit it, the linen closet has been transformed into a "My Little Pony" stable, it's raining, I don't know what's for dinner, and my husband is living in a combat zone but I can't think about that too much or the lure of a Bartles & Jaymes numbotomy will carry me away ...

YET ~ as I passed through one child's room to turn off a radio that was serenading away even though said child was no longer there to be romanced, I experienced a moment of pure bliss. And smiled. And I let myself be happy for a moment. I miss my husband. There's a never-ending to do list every day when I wake up. My life isn't perfect. But I feel so d*mn lucky.

I talked to my husband on Skype today. He was happy because their bathrooms are working again and he'd just gotten a bunch of boxes I'd sent. He talked to each of the kids before they rushed off to a movie with friends. He was looking forward to finally having a few hours off to watch some football. It was nice to see a smile on his tired face.

As I walked out of the child's room with the now-silenced radio and passed the disorderly game room that would strike fear in Mary Poppins' heart, I picked up a broom and started sweeping with a smile on my face. My kids are growing up. It's messy. But it's worth it. They're happy. And I like being with them. I'm so d*mn lucky.

Edited by Apiphobic
some people asked what B&J was

That is so sweet!

When life gives you those moments, savor them. It's way too easy for us to get caught up in the things that having nothing to do with the instant we're living in.

I had one on Friday. My 6 year old came home from school and ran up the stairs to see me. I'd been having a pretty rough day at work (I work from home) and when I saw her coming up the driveway I went and sat at the top of the steps to wait for her to come in the door.

She ran up and sort of tackled me....pushed me over on my back, and we both just laid their giggling and tickling and teasing hugging for a few minutes.

Then, like I do every day, I said "What was your best thing today?" And she said...

"Right now."

Is there anything better than savoring those little moments of pure contentment?

The floor needs to be swept, the laundry's piling up, my oldest and my youngest daughters' beds haven't been made, the game room looks like a tornado hit it, the linen closet has been transformed into a "My Little Pony" stable, it's raining, I don't know what's for dinner, and my husband is living in a combat zone but I can't think about that too much or the lure of a B&J numbotomy will carry me away ...

YET ~ as I passed through one child's room to turn off a radio that was serenading away even though said child was no longer there to be romanced, I experienced a moment of pure bliss. And smiled. And I let myself be happy for a moment. I miss my husband. There's a never-ending to do list every day when I wake up. My life isn't perfect. But I feel so d*mn lucky.

I talked to my husband on Skype today. He was happy because their bathrooms are working again and he'd just gotten a bunch of boxes I'd sent. He talked to each of the kids before they rushed off to a movie with friends. He was looking forward to finally having a few hours off to watch some football. It was nice to see a smile on his tired face.

As I walked out of the child's room with the now-silenced radio and passed the disorderly game room that would strike fear in Mary Poppins' heart, I picked up a broom and started sweeping with a smile on my face. My kids are growing up. It's messy. But it's worth it. They're happy. And I like being with them. I'm so d*mn lucky.

Thank you... I needed that reminder today :001_smile:

Beautiful reminder to be grateful.

Thank you. I'm hoping it helps me to keep things in perspective when I need a :chillpill: pill.

Then, like I do every day, I said "What was your best thing today?" And she said...

"Right now."

Awwwwww :thumbup:

Thank you... I needed that reminder today :001_smile:

And thank you, too.

That's so sweet and so well expressed. I wish I could write that good. :) They do grow up so fast. We found some baby pictures of my daughter the day before yesterday and I cannot believe how much she has grown. I think about her being in 7th grade this year and I wish I could slow the clock. It goes too fast. sniff.

Don't you love those moments? :) However, what were you doing at my house? I don't remember seeing you as I wandered through my own war torn region (uh-hm, house) today but I could have missed you in the mess.

Yes, I do. Unfortunately, they've been few and far between lately, so I really wanted to hold onto it a little longer.

That's why I felt the urge to write it down.

War torn? That was my kitchen floor this morning after my glass jar from the blender fell and shattered into pieces and the banana strawberry smoothie splashed all over the cabinets. :blushing:

That's so sweet and so well expressed. I wish I could write that good. :) They do grow up so fast. We found some baby pictures of my daughter the day before yesterday and I cannot believe how much she has grown. I think about her being in 7th grade this year and I wish I could slow the clock. It goes too fast. sniff.

Thank you. Sometimes it does feel like it's all a blur.

Moments like those are indeed precious and sustaining. I'm glad you experienced that today.

I should've clarified that it happened yesterday, and I wrote it last night.

But I'm glad it happened whenever and wherever.

The floor needs to be swept, the laundry's piling up, my oldest and my youngest daughters' beds haven't been made, the game room looks like a tornado hit it, the linen closet has been transformed into a "My Little Pony" stable, it's raining, I don't know what's for dinner, and my husband is living in a combat zone but I can't think about that too much or the lure of a Bartles & Jaymes numbotomy will carry me away ...

What a beautiful grateful post. Thanks so much for the reminder and thanks so much for your husband's service and your sacrifices over and over.

:001_smile:

Thank you! Your post hit home today. You made me cry and smile. Thank you for helping me see what's really important.