Menu

Where to start in Michael Clay Thompson LA

Blessedfamily

DD has finished KiSS grammar 3. I'd like to try MCT because it looks interesting and similar to the qualities of KISS that we enjoyed. like analyzing real literature.

Where do we start? She knows the material in KISS very well.

KISS covered the identification of: parts of speech, complements (pred noun, pred adj, direct obj, indirect obj.), prepositional phrases, infinitives..(some others, but it's late, and I can't think.)

It has already taught her to analyze every word in a sentence and tell which word it modifies. (They use a chart, which she loves filling in.)

She really doesn't need to spend much time on grammar at this point (which fits KISS). We've just been analyzing sentences to keep everything fresh.

Where would you start?

Awake now, and just remebered.. it has also covered clause, independent and dependent.

Edited by Blessedfamily

I'm not sure if you are looking for a grammar program or a literature program based on what you've said here so I'll reply to both...give you more detail about it so you can decide.

Michael Clay Thompson's language arts program (the base program) covers grammar, vocabulary, poetry, writing, and analyzing sentence practice. Based on what you've said here, I would probably start with the Town level.

Grammar Town reviews the parts of speech, including articles, action vs. linking verbs and verb tense. It then covers the parts of a sentence where it covers subject and predict, direct and indirect objects and subject complements. It also discusses types of phrases such as prepositional, appositive, gerunds, participles, and infinitives. In the clause section, it covers simple, compound, and complex sentences and the proper punctuation for each. Even if you've covered all of this already, it may be a good idea to start with this level because it is fast and will get you used to their method. Following Grammar Town, you would do Practice Town where you analyze 100 sentences using their 4-part analysis. Each sentence has four lines: the top line is for writing the parts of speech for each word, the second line is for identifying the parts of the sentence, the third line is for identifying the types of phrases, and the last line is for identifying the clauses. I would consider both books essential for teaching grammar.

Caesar's English I is the vocabulary component that goes with Grammar Town. It is quite advanced. There are 30 lessons. The odd numbered lessons cover a Latin stem with words using those stems. The even numbered lessons cover vocabulary words, including their origin, meaning, and uses in classic literature. Some of the vocabulary is used in Grammar Town and Practice Town: the vocabulary words are bolded to point them out. The vocabulary component is not necessary for the rest of the program.

MCT also has a poetry component. It covers poetic elements such as rhyme scheme, meter, stanza, alliteration, etc. There are examples in the book. Again, it isn't essential to the program and is only necessary if you want to teach poetry.

The Writing component (Paragraph Town) teaches what makes a good paragraph starting with a review of what makes a good sentence. It covers things like topic sentences and transitions between sentences. In my opinion, this book is better used as a supplement. I feel it is too broad and open-ended to be the sole writing program. I use IEW as our primary writing program.

The above is the language arts curriculum I believe most people are referring to when they mention MCT. It does not cover literary analysis, other than the poetry book.

Finally, MCT's basic literature program is the "Suppose a Wolf was an Octopus" books which is separate from their "language arts" curriculum. Each book covers a few dozen pieces of literature. They provide Socratic method type questions for the specific books listed. It seems that each book has about half classic works and half books offered only through Royal Fireworks Press. I've never used them; I was put off by the fact that we had already read several books at each level and by the extra cost of purchasing the books offered only by them.

Rather than using Suppose the Wolf Were an Octopus, I opted to use Teaching the Classics for our literary analysis. It also uses the Socratic Method. It is a set of DVDs that teach you how to lead your students in analyzing ANY piece of literature you read, thus the method can be used for all ages/grades. It covers story elements (setting, character, theme, conflict, and plot). The plot includes all parts of the plot map. The syllabus comes with a list of Socratic questions you can ask in analyzing the piece. The questions range from basic to difficult...you don't use them all. He suggests starting with picture books to get simple practice before moving on the harder works. I really like this program because it is so open-ended (any book you choose) yet still easy enough to use. It doesn't lead you by the hand but lets you discover the meaning of the book on your own. It's not hard to do once you've watched the videos and used the syllabus.

Hope that helps.

Joann,

Thanks so much for detailed review. I have come to exactly the same conclusion. We'll start at Grammar Town to get used to his presentation, which is slightly different from KISS. Then she can do Practice Town.

She's doing an online writing program now, which seems similar to the material covered in Paragraph Town. It has really expanded her understanding of writing good paragraphs, but she doesn't do a lot of actual writing at this point (too young). I think we'll buy Paragraph Town too.

The poetry I'm on the fence about. It looks confusing, but that could just be me.

I think I'll save Caesar's English for last.

I'll definately look at the 2 literary analysis programs you mentioned. We use the Socratic method a lot around here. In fact, I was doing a search on how to use it, and that's what landed me on the MCT page in the first place.

Thanks again. :001_smile:

I used the first and half of the second level of MCT last year with my dd who was 6yo at the time. She understood it easily and had no grammar prior to that.

That's good to know. What I am looking for in the grammar text itself is just having everything in one book. KISS Grammar is printed at home and placed in individual 3 ring binders. The teaching is spread throughout the senttence exercises, and not easy to find.

This seems like it will be a better lay-out for review.

I wonder if most people who use the first three levels go on to use the higher levels???

At this point, I'm planning on using all six levels. That could change, though, based on how things go between now and then.

Right now my 7yo is doing the Island level. LA is not his strong subject. My 9yo did Island and started Town last year...which was our first year using it.

If you were going to begin using this series with no prior grammar experience, where would you begin? I've tried figuring out the webpage, but I think I need more coffee. I don't find it very user friendly. Is there an order? And which books of the various components go with a "level?" Does that make sense?? Ack, I need more coffee!!!! :confused::001_unsure:

Rowan25,

Someone had recommeded this series to me earlier this year, and I looked at the website and found it confusing. I meant to look again, but forgot.

This time, I clicked on the name Michael Clay Thomas on the left hand side of the main page, and it brought up a chart/list which lays the levels out more clearly. Here's the chart http://www.rfwp.com/mct.php

With no grammar background, you would start at Grammar Island, and the components that go with it (if you choose them).

From what I understand, you do the Grammar Island, and then start the other components either half-way through, or after you've finished the grammar text. Someone else may be able to explain that part better.

If you were going to begin using this series with no prior grammar experience, where would you begin? I've tried figuring out the webpage, but I think I need more coffee. I don't find it very user friendly. Is there an order? And which books of the various components go with a "level?" Does that make sense?? Ack, I need more coffee!!!! :confused::001_unsure:

I started with Grammar Island, Music of the Hemispheres, and Building Language. (I loved Music of the Hemispheres btw.) After Grammar Island, we added Sentence Island. We then moved on to Grammar Town along with Practice Island (it made more sense to me to use Practice Island when all four levels of sentence structure had been covered in Grammar Town) and also did Caesar's English and the next poetry book. We are using these now but the name of the poetry book is escaping me and I am too lazy to get up and go look at the moment. I will do the paragraph book in another month or two when we finish Grammar Town then start the next level.

We have been doing well staggering the books.

Rowan25,

Someone had recommeded this series to me earlier this year, and I looked at the website and found it confusing. I meant to look again, but forgot.

This time, I clicked on the name Michael Clay Thomas on the left hand side of the main page, and it brought up a chart/list which lays the levels out more clearly. Here's the chart http://www.rfwp.com/mct.php

With no grammar background, you would start at Grammar Island, and the components that go with it (if you choose them).

From what I understand, you do the Grammar Island, and then start the other components either half-way through, or after you've finished the grammar text. Someone else may be able to explain that part better.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is exactly what I was looking for. I am bookmarking it now before I lose it!!!!! You made my night!! :)

I started with Grammar Island, Music of the Hemispheres, and Building Language. (I loved Music of the Hemispheres btw.) After Grammar Island, we added Sentence Island. We then moved on to Grammar Town along with Practice Island (it made more sense to me to use Practice Island when all four levels of sentence structure had been covered in Grammar Town) and also did Caesar's English and the next poetry book. We are using these now but the name of the poetry book is escaping me and I am too lazy to get up and go look at the moment. I will do the paragraph book in another month or two when we finish Grammar Town then start the next level.

We have been doing well staggering the books.

After looking through it, we may pick it up next year. She'll be 6, but doing mostly 2nd grade work. The only thing that worries me is the writing. Needless to say, she is not gifted in writing!!!! :lol:

After looking through it, we may pick it up next year. She'll be 6, but doing mostly 2nd grade work. The only thing that worries me is the writing. Needless to say, she is not gifted in writing!!!! :lol:

The writing is fairly simplistic in the first two levels. We're on the second level and so far the writing is creative exercises that you could easily do orally.

• 1 year later...

"She's doing an online writing program now, which seems similar to the material covered in Paragraph Town. It has really expanded her understanding of writing good paragraphs, but she doesn't do a lot of actual writing at this point (too young). I think we'll buy Paragraph Town too."

Which online writing program is she using?