Menu

I just received the bulk of our curricula, and I'm pleased as punch.

LanaTron

I finally am holding Discovering Mathematics 1A in my hand, and am very pleased with what I see. I have been worried that it would be too much to do DM with LoF Beg. Algebra, but I think it's going to work great for my ds. Like LoF, the problem sets in DM are not too long, although I am sure they will make ds think. The first book is going to be a fair amount of review, but taking things like factors and mulitples to a more sophisticated level.

Also, I've gotten to really look at Explorer's Bible Study. I'll be using Beginnings II--God's Promises with my younger two dc, and Quest--In the Beginning with my elder two. From first glance, these texts only teach what is actually in the Bible, without adding any sectarian layers of meaning, which is exactly what I was looking for. The questions in the Quest level are very nice, and will make my dc think without being too hard. I just need to figure out how I'm going to have them share one book, as I didn't have the $$ for two. ;)

I also think that Hakim's Story of Science is going to work well for my middle schoolers, along with the kit Milestones in Science. The reading level looks just right, and it looks interesting, as well. I am still not sure about the guide that goes with it. We're going to try some of the activities/worksheets in the guide, but if it feels like busy work, we'll just drop it.

One thing I've realized, though, is that I've created more work for myself this year. I want a discussion component to LL, Explorer's Bible, and Story of Science, so I'm going to have to pre-read everything I assign my middle schoolers.

We start on the 21st, so I guess I'd better get busy. :D

I also think that Hakim's Story of Science is going to work well for my middle schoolers, along with the kit Milestones in Science. The reading level looks just right, and it looks interesting, as well. I am still not sure about the guide that goes with it. We're going to try some of the activities/worksheets in the guide, but if it feels like busy work, we'll just drop it.

Lana, I'm glad to hear that you are pleased with your purchases. That's always a relief. I am curious to know why you are not sure about the guide that goes with Story of Science. Do you have enough work to do with the kit and the reading, that you may not need the guide. Or is there something about the guide that bothers you specifically? I have the guide, but think we may just read the book and call it good.

That's such a great feeling, Lana! Congrats! LoF was a winner here and I think the Explorer's Bible Studies are some of the best.

I was a little disappointed in a couple of our choices this year, so we're still working out the kinks. I'm sick of returns, exchanges, etc.... My trips to the p.o. are almost over though. :glare:

Isn't it great when it all comes together?!? I am waiting on a couple purchases and hope I will be feeling the same soon. I am so excited about my plans right now.

I am also a big fan of the Explorer's Bible Studies, my kids both have done several books and are each working through one now. (and I have one for sale right now too if anyone is looking) :)

I'm only adding in one worksheet per two lessons, because I want my dc to do narration/outlining as well. We are on a tight time schedule this year, so if we can't get it all done, the guide will get pushed aside, in favor of the writing. Hate to do that, since I spent the money on the guide, but time is valuable, too.