Menu

Phonics Pathways or Teach Your Child....100 Easy Lessons

3Rivers

My kids are long past this stage so forgive me if my answer isn't detailed. I used to own both and found PP to be not as user friendly and my kids were not inspired by it. I taught two of my children to read using 100 Easy Lessons and they responded very well to it. I did not use the handwriting component and modified it a bit, but found it very easy to use. I have recommended 100 Easy Lessons to many families and have had great feedback. Sorry that's not detailed as I don't really remember much about PP. It sat in my cupboard until I sold it. 100EL sat on my coffee table and helped me teach my kids to love reading. Hope that helps.

Blessings,

Heather

We've used both. For my dd who has reading difficulies, but is reading some, PP was a good place to start for remediating her. She's done wonderfully with it.

100 easy lessons.... it was difficult for her, very frustrating. The instructions (scripts the parent reads to teach from) didn't make sense to her. She would cry over it.

However, My 4 yo has no problems with it. He would follow along (he was 3 at the time) doing the lesson with her. I could read the script to him and he had no trouble with the instructions. But he wasn't being remediated.

For my ds, who is just starting out, it's much easier to do 100 easy lessons. PP doesn't have the scripts, it doesn't tell me how to begin. ANd to be, for very beginning reading it just doesn't seem as interesting. But for later reading, PP seems really great and I have liked it better than 100 easy lessons.

That's probably as clear as mud.... it's too early in the morning for me LOL

I vote for Phonics Pathways. My son, who has struggled to learn to read, has really blossomed since we started using it. When I realized that what I was doing wasn't working and that we needed to change, I got PP, 100 EZ Lessons, and OPGTR out of the library. All the markings in EZ really turned me off and would have been a nightmare for my son.

Tara

100EZL made me cross-eyed. Honestly, I just couldn't get past the cluttered pages and the extra markings for words, etc. There was so much "scripting" (telling the teacher exactly what to say), and I didn't want or need that.

Phonics Pathways, while still not aesthetically lovely (Schlafly's "First Reader" is far more visually appealing, with simpler, cleaner pages), didn't have all the extra scripting getting in my way, and none of those extra markings (which I found terribly confusing). You just work on reading. That's all. For me, simpler was better.

I gave away my copy of 100EZL to someone who was very grateful and used it. I'm glad she was happy with it.

For me, Phonics Pathways was much more useable. Simple, straightforward, lots of good practice.

*But* I pulled in other things too (letter magnets, Bob books, games and exercises from Reading Reflex, Explode the Code workbooks, I Can Read It readers from Sonlight)... None of those things *individually* was vital, but giving variety and interest, different ways to practice, did seem to be useful and help keep the kids or me from getting bored. Both of my kids reached a point where they just "got it" long before we were finished with Phonics Pathways, and we didn't bother doing every lesson in the book. One was 3 when that happened, the other was 5. It took about two years after that (for each of them) to become strong spellers. But they are now, and it's clear that their phonics understanding didn't suffer by not doing every page in the book...

For me, Phonics Pathways was much more useable. Simple, straightforward, lots of good practice.

*But* I pulled in other things too (letter magnets, Bob books, games and exercises from Reading Reflex, Explode the Code workbooks, I Can Read It readers from Sonlight)... None of those things *individually* was vital, but giving variety and interest, different ways to practice, did seem to be useful and help keep the kids or me from getting bored. Both of my kids reached a point where they just "got it" long before we were finished with Phonics Pathways, and we didn't bother doing every lesson in the book. One was 3 when that happened, the other was 5. It took about two years after that (for each of them) to become strong spellers. But they are now, and it's clear that their phonics understanding didn't suffer by not doing every page in the book...

:iagree: This is how I teach, a variety. Not much is finished...other than the readers. ;)

I can't speak to 100 easy lessons, but I have used PP with 2 children (one already reading to fill in gaps and one from ground up). I like that it is not distracting, although for one of my children I have to cover up some text on the page to focus him in as there tends to be a lot of words on a page. I am about to teach my 4 year old how to read after he gets a couple last basic sounds and I will be using PP. I also supplement with Bob books, A Beka K readers and any other phonics readers I can find.