Menu

university of the Pacific???

JFSinIL

I would visit. It is neither a) anywhere near the pacific nor b) anything remotely like Yosemite. Consider: the name of the town comes from stock yards. It is in the north-middle of the agricultural area of the state. VISIT FIRST!

I've driven through agricultural California before...and some of the campus we have considered are in the middle of cornfields or wheatland, so no biggie. But a two-hour drive to Yosemite is a HUGE draw for ds, who really took to the park on our two-days there last June. I am curious if anyone here has gone to or ahd a kid go to the campus - is it in a safe area? Academics good? We will buy tickets and fly out IF ds is accepted and given scholarships - at this point ds is fed-up with college visits ( has been to 7...and has one more local to see in Oct. plus a revisist to his first choice - they asked him back :-) and we can't afford to fly him out there at this time just to look.

University of the Pacific was located in Suva, Fiji???

I looked it up, the university in Suva is "University of the South Pacific." I think I need a bit more caffine before reading the boards. :-P

Nah - Stockton, CA. Midway between Yosemite and San Francisco. Not exactly Steinbeck country, but close enough.

as its known around here (Sacramento) has an excellent reputation. It's a private school with some excellent programs. Off the top of my head, I can think of two--Music and Pharmacist--which are very competitive.

It's in Stockton, which has its good and bad areas. I'm not sure where the campus is in Stockton. But I have never heard of any complaints from parents who have sent their children there about the environment.

Sylvia

Hello from one who lived in Stockton briefly many moons ago! As Sylvia said, UOP has a very good pharmacy school. The price tag is also pretty high; I have no idea about scholarships. I don't know what the weather is like where you live, but that is something I would advise you to consider if your son is particular in his weather preferences! I went to college at Humboldt State University up in the redwoods of CA and absolutely loved it. As long as you don't mind rain on a regualr basis, the weather is great! In Stockton, however, as in all the Central Valley, they get FOG. I am sure that is one of the things that makes the farmland so productive, but it can make winters very, very challenging for those who are afflicted with seasonal affective disorder. When it is clear, it is wonderful, and the surrounding farmland and Mother Lode areas are delightful, but just be aware of the fog issue. (when I lived there, we did not see the sun, ever, for 30 days straight - no joke. I don't know if every winter is like that, but once was enough for me!) On a more positive note, my husband and I enjoyed the best pizza in our memory in Stockton!

Hope this helps, even if it really has nothing to do with the school!

Blessings,

April

The on-line application was sent in Friday, and a check mailed for the fee. Monday ds got a phone call, a letter in the mail, and two emails, all thanking him for applying, saying an honors app. was in the mail to him, and asking if he had any questions.

DS is in bed with a major migraine today, and too miserable to be interested in any college's interest in him.

Hey, it is as close to Yosemite as I can find! But I am from Southern Calif., and know nothing about Stockton or this college.

I'm not super familiar with UOP, but I know it is a good school, and it's one that we'll probably consider for my oldest ds when it gets time for him to apply to college. I've spoken to UOP representatives a couple of times at college fairs and they assure me that they have lots of financial aid available, so we'll see. Stockton itself is not that exciting of a city, but I think the river/port areas are beautiful. Of course, it is hot and dry there, like all of central California. And some fog in the winter. The nice thing is that it is not too far of a drive to the Bay Area, Monterey, the mountains, etc.

Also, have you considered UC Merced? It's more of a boonie town than Stockton, but it's also quite close to Yosemite. Smaller student body since it's a fairly new school, and less expensive since it's public not private. Just a thought.

Also, have you considered UC Merced? It's more of a boonie town than Stockton, but it's also quite close to Yosemite. Smaller student body since it's a fairly new school, and less expensive since it's public not private. Just a thought.

I will look at it - but have noted most public schools in CA do not offer much in the way of scholarships to out of state kids - and the out of state tuition can be a killer. I had to rule Humboldt (my kid brother went there) off the list for that reason.

OK - checked Merced's website - out-of-state is $22,000 extra. Cross that one off our list, too. Some of the private school offer merit scholarships the public do not - makes them worth a shot, at least.

Edited by JFSinIL

I will look at it - but have noted most public schools in CA do not offer much in the way of scholarships to out of state kids - and the out of state tuition can be a killer. I had to rule Humboldt (my kid brother went there) off the list for that reason.

OK - checked Merced's website - out-of-state is $22,000 extra. Cross that one off our list, too. Some of the private school offer merit scholarships the public do not - makes them worth a shot, at least.

The extra $22,000 is ridiculous :glare: I do think that particular UC is pretty desperate for students, though, so their financial aid packages are probably pretty generous. Unfortunately, the fees have gone up so much with the economy being sour, that UC's are not nearly the bargain they used to be. Good luck with UOP, I hope your ds gets a generous financial aid package!