Menu

What age for make-up? 7th grade??

For dd, at 13 we started allowing BareMinerals foundation lightly, blush, and mascara. She doesn't like lip gloss or that type of thing or that would be in there also. I've really just made it about looking natural, so we don't do eye liner, etc., at this age. I think we'll allow that at about 16. That seems about when I notice that girls become aware of HOW to put on eye liner without looking like they've been punched in both eyes. ;) Dd has been in a youth group situation with some girls that have let her see how NOT to wear eye liner when the time comes. For us, it is a gradual process.

16 here. Oldest dd waited patiently. She's now counting the month and 5 days until she's allowed highlights. That's her 18th birthday, though she told me today she isn't going *right* on that day.

FWIW, same dd has quite a bit of gray hair, and we've allowed her to color with something natural looking that's about her natural shade. She hadn't been all that interested in that until a friend's mother commented on it one day.

Next dd seems to be heading in the same direction with the grays. They didn't get it from me!

My dd is 12 and in 7th gr. No make other than lip gloss and light shades of fingernail polish. Sometimes she and I have a manicure party in the evening; that is the only time she wears fingernail polish. No make up until at least 16 and then only very light, natural shades.

Janet

I don't have daughters (so take my opinions with a grain of salt). I almost wonder if being too strict backfires. I only say this because when I went to school all the girls whose mothers would not allow make up would put make up on when their moms weren't looking. My mother didn't have a rule against it and so I really never got into wearing it until I was in my late teens. And even then it wasn't regularly and it wasn't much. I imagine my mother would have not liked me putting on excessive amounts at any time, but she never really told me I couldn't wear make up.

My experience was similar. I think my mom would have liked it if I had been more girly and more into that sort of thing. Even now, she keeps telling me I need to dye my hair because she dyes her hair and it makes her look kind of weird if I have gray hair and she doesn't. :lol:

Even though my dd is allowed to wear makeup, she doesn't wear it every day. It's not a big thing because we haven't made it some big thing. jmo, yymv, etc.

DD(now 15) got to start using medicated coverup when her face broke out in 7th grade.

She got to start wearing regular makeup when she started high school (9th grade). But she chooses to usually not wear much beyond eyeliner and coverup for the occasional breakout because she does a lot of sports and it just rubs/sweats off.

I think my mom wished I had been more girly too. She was very into her looks.

I wouldn't say my mom was *very* into her looks. However, she did stuff when she was young like roll her long hair in giant rollers then iron it. Even now, she blow dries the curl out of her hair every day. I can't be bothered with anything like that.

I don't have daughters (so take my opinions with a grain of salt). I almost wonder if being too strict backfires. I only say this because when I went to school all the girls whose mothers would not allow make up would put make up on when their moms weren't looking. My mother didn't have a rule against it and so I really never got into wearing it until I was in my late teens. And even then it wasn't regularly and it wasn't much. I imagine my mother would have not liked me putting on excessive amounts at any time, but she never really told me I couldn't wear make up.

:iagree:

I don't wear very much, and when I do, I go for the natural look. I allow my 7 year old to wear her "makeup" (to her that means lipgloss) when we go out on our Mommy/daughter "dates" and to church when she thinks of it. I don't plan on taking the restrictive approach, mainly because she is the kid of girl that I don't think I will need to. I plan to let her to do a natural makeup look similar to what I use when she asks. Of course, this is the little girl who thinks it is horrible when she sees a female with even a teensy bit of stomach showing, let alone a bikini! I don't think I will have a problem with my "prudish" little girl :lol:.

I just realized that part of the makeup thing is my own bias. I detest makeup. It's a pain. The day I left work I swore off makeup and pantyhose. Occasionally I'll buy mascara for a special event, and by the time I go to use it again, it's dried out. So my feelings towards make up come through.

I do agree if your rules are too strict it can backfire. I've told dd's 16, and for the most part it's been fine with my older two. My now 7th grader doesn't seem to care at all - probably helped by the fact that none of her friends wear makeup. If she really, really wanted to wear some earlier than 16, I would probably allow a little. I just haven't been tested yet.

Janet

My 12 year old daughter has no interest in makeup.

She goes through stages of wearing nailpolish but not regularly.

I have suggested she might want to wear mascara or some lip gloss if we are going someplace special.

I have a feeling in the future she may wear a little but I don't really worry about her over doing it. Definitely not her personality. I on the other hand at her age was the complete opposite.

My dd started wearing lip gloss to school in 6th or 7th grade, I think, but it was really just gloss with no color.

Last Christmas I took her to the mall and let the professionals show her how to actually apply the makeup. They made sure that she still looked like a young girl (she was 12.5 at the time) but showed her proper technique so she didn't look like a clown. I bought her everything, including eye shadow, but all in very natural colors.

She got over that desire pretty quickly, but still wears a tinted moisturizer and lip gloss (with some color) most days. On special occasions she'll do the rest of her face, but I must say she does a great job and looks really nice. She turned 13 July 2.

I was 15 before I started wearing anything at all. At 15 I used light powder blush and mascara. That was it. And I made it look as natural as possible. (I wanted people to think my enhanced beauty was natural!)

I never wore foundation until I was an adult. And I had very clear skin as a teen. I am convinced that not caking it with makeup all day was a part of the reason (other than good genes and washing my face morning and night). My sister had a lot more acne, and she started the heavy make up around 13.

So that will be my guideline for my daughter, who is now 9. I will likely let her wear the light blush and light mascara around 15 or 16, and play on her vanity a bit (you will keep clearer skin and be thought naturally lovely!) That, and I have already started emphasizing the importance of inner beauty above outer beauty.

In the meantime, around 12 or so I may let her wear a little clear lip gloss on occasion, but that is it. Aside from the issue of looking too old, make up smothers the skin. And girls need to be taught how to make their makeup look natural. It is a shame to see a lovely young woman with eyeliner and caked on foundation. It detracts from her beauty, rather than adds, in my opinion...

Susu

Wendy, you share good points.

I felt free to post what I did because, at this time, I have no reason to expect that my dd shall want to wear facial paint. I do not use any, neither do I talk about it. So I'm not forbidding something that is a non-issue to begin with. Dd noticed one of her older friends (a 13 yo girl) wearing makeup last weekend at church, and commented herself how unattractive and fake it looked.

If dd ends up battling acne, I'll hope that increasing her zinc intake will solve the problem, as was the case with her brothers.

Thirteen for us. We allow everything but in natural shades so that she doesn't look overly made-up.

EK didn't wear any makeup until age 13, except for clear, flavored lip gloss. I bought her a small make-up kit for Christmas just after she turned 13. It contained foundation, pressed powder, mascara, and powder blush.

I don't have a daughter, but I love the memory of my first make-up. When I turned 13yo, my mom took me to Merle Norman for a makeover! Yay!

She bought me cleanser/ moisturizer stuff and foundation base. Merle Norman makes a foundation that is tinted zinc oxide. As fair as I am, my mom thought it was important for me to protect my skin. I still wear Merle Norman foundation today and I will be 41yo this fall, but my lip gloss of choice is still chapstick!:D

I was 11yo when I received my first big girl hair cut at a hair salon. My mom waited until 12yo to pierce my ears and 13yo for foundation base and skin care. These were special moments/ milestones that we shared and I remember. If I had a daughter, I would do the same thing with her.

Oh, but as far as other make-up, I just don't remember that being a big deal. My mom would put a little of her blush on me from time to time then at some point she bought me my own- same thing for eye shadow. Maybe she was waiting for me to become confident and proficient with the cleanser/ moisturizer and foundation base first. hhmm, if I remember, I'll ask her.

I grew up in the south with long hair, so before the big girl haircut I used pink sponge rollers over night. After the big girl haircut my mom taught me to use a curling iron. Of course, being a girly Southern lady, my mom used hot rollers and from time to time she would use those in my hair. Currently, I don't own a curling iron or any rollers, but I cherish those moments that I had with my mom.

Did I mention how much I love my mom?

HTH-

Mandy

Ditto here, both for me, and for my dd (14.5, and absolutely NO interest in makeup at all). I do not remember any magical age where my mom allowed it, but she was there to show me how to do it well, and softly. I stopped wearing it at all about 20, as there is no make up I am not allergic to. I tried it again in my 30s, with the Bare Minerals, and other good quality makeup, but reacted to that as well. Just not worth it when your whole face breaks out in hives, and your eyelids swell up. Just not so pretty kwim? Threw all makeup (it was at least 10 yrs old!) in the trash can about 10 yrs ago, and have never looked back. None of my sisters wear any makeup at all, and my mother only wears lipstick (she is blind, so gave her blush up when she couldn't see- she was constantly having me rub her blush in for her, lol). I think this example has worn off on my dd.

My dd has a friend who is 1 yr younger than she is who wears thick, heavy makeup, and dd thinks it looks trashy. She can wear it if and when she wants, but I honestly think she will pass, as well.

I so remember the girls putting makeup on in the bathroom at school, and then wiping it off before they caught the bus- because their mamas said no to it. Just have found with my kids that it is better to let them experiment with their appearances, and let them know we love them no matter what. Seems like they honestly feel that need to go against us very little. We let them do things like mohawks and tails in their hair when they were little, and now they are good with just being who they are.

My feeling on any of these sort of questions is that I don't make it a specific age. I make the decision as it comes up, based on what is objectively necessary and how important it is to my child. My daughter is 12 and so far, has never seemed to want to wear makeup, except for nail polish. She has light lipglosses but never chooses to wear them. She has a nice natural beauty (although of course I would think so), but objectively, she doesn't have anything that needs correcting. If she had some feature that objectively would be much improved with makeup and she asked for makeup for that purpose, I would not object. If she wanted to wear the whole 9 yards of makeup, I would probably not allow it. But really, I think it's best not to make a huge, big deal about something being allowed at some particular age.

I was not allowed to shave my gorilla legs until I was 13 and I remember it being social torture that whole summer when I was 12. Really - what great benefit did my parents think they were conferring by making me suffer through that? If I had been a child with very light, fine hair this wouldn't have mattered at all, but I "bloomed" early and had thick dark hair. It was humiliating.

My feeling on any of these sort of questions is that I don't make it a specific age. I make the decision as it comes up, based on what is objectively necessary and how important it is to my child

My older dd has a port wine stain on her cheek. We are having it medically treated, although it will never go away and it will always be pretty visible.

Dh and I have already discussed it. If she gets to a point that she is asking for makeup to cover it, we will let her. No matter the age. At 6, she hasn't asked. I think it's going to take effort to make it look natural, so she may well decide it's not worth the effort for everyday things.

I was not allowed to shave my gorilla legs until I was 13 and I remember it being social torture that whole summer when I was 12. Really - what great benefit did my parents think they were conferring by making me suffer through that? If I had been a child with very light, fine hair this wouldn't have mattered at all, but I "bloomed" early and had thick dark hair. It was humiliating.

Oh my gosh! My dd had this problem (she takes after her dad, poor thing, I hardly have any hair on my legs at all) and I let her start shaving at 11 because of it.

Well, my oldest three didn't really have any interest until they were 14 or 15 years old but the fourth did when she started 6th grade just because of her older sisters. I bought her blush, mascara and lipgloss for her 12th birthday. She rarely if ever wears it. I wear make-up about once a year, the oldest one is about the same, the 17 year old whenever she goes out and the 16 year old just about everyday because she works. We just aren't a very girly bunch of girls.

I wear makeup...light and natural, not all the time, but a must when I'm dealing with anemia. My oldest girl turned 11 today. She is permitted lipgloss. She only wears it occasionally. She has beautiful skin and probably won't wear much more than accenting makeup in her teens. I have other girls also and they will probably only wear minimal through their teens years. There is a big difference in using makeup as accenting or to cover up a health condition vs slopping it on like "warpaint" (which I find as an offensive term, but understand the concept). As I age, my eyelashes have been disappearing, like my mama's did. Eyeliner prevents me from looking like something is missing or wrong...especially since I also wear glasses. With eyeliner for "going out" I can actually look normal.

We aloow it at 15. We make a big deal out of it and all the sisters go and watch the 15yo get her make-up and makeover and then have lunch out together. It is really fun.

We did this about a year ago for one of my daughters and I have a funny story to share. This is not a girly-girl by any stretch of the imagination. She was just going along because that's what you do at 15. She swore she was not going to actually use the make up. This was the end of June.

Fast forward to early October. We go to a full day of fine arts classes on Mondays. This particular Monday it was stormy and we lost our electricity, so were getting ready in the dark. (We leave around 7:45 a.m. so it is dark when there is a havy cloud cover.) A is paniced and demands we leave earlier than usual.

I ask why? Her answer: "I must get there before anyone else so I can get my make-up on before anyone sees me!"

So much for never wearing make-up.

Linda

Whenever there was interest, we allowed it. Mom has veto power. At 9, there was interest. It was short lived. My daughter (17 soon) would rather die than use it now. LOL

I really think that parents make it a big issue. On every one of these types of issues, I've been nonchalant and it's worked out beautifully :)

So far :) LOL

We aloow it at 15. We make a big deal out of it and all the sisters go and watch the 15yo get her make-up and makeover and then have lunch out together. It is really fun.

Aaaww! Your dds will have this wonderful memory of a special right of passage. It's nice to give those to to our kiddos.:D

Mandy

We allow lip gloss, a little mascara, some light blush - she's 12.

Although, my girls have a big bag of make-up that they play with. Every color of eye-shadow, lip stick, & blush you can think of. They love to make each other up & shock me. They know they can't wear it in public, but if it keeps them happy and playing together nicely...I'm fine with it ;)

My oldest (now 12) has a collection of tinted lip gloss, but after a short phase of wearing it whenever she went anywhere, her interest is gone. I can't remember the last time I saw her wearing any.

I suppose I'll let her wear what she wants, within reason, when she's ready, but I don't expect it to be any time soon. It's just not on the radar screen yet.

When I was dd's age (early 80's), 7th grade was when most girls started wearing makeup. My parents made me wait until I was 14 or 15, and it became more of an issue than it should have been--lots of arguments. Naturally, when I was allowed to wear it I overdid things. :biggrinjester: My folks' mistake was twofold--allowing me to argue about it, and making it "important." I'll try to do things differently with my two girls.

Whenever there was interest, we allowed it. Mom has veto power. At 9, there was interest. It was short lived. My daughter (17 soon) would rather die than use it now. LOL

I really think that parents make it a big issue. On every one of these types of issues, I've been nonchalant and it's worked out beautifully :)

Words of wisdom.

Janet

I don't have daughters either, but my parents didn't make it a big deal. We were allowed to wear make-up once we were old enough to earn the $$ to pay for it.

As a result, I tried a bit of make-up in jr high and high school (paid for with my babysitting money), but by age 16, I was pretty much over the hassle of replenishing it and paying for it so I went for a more natural look and just wore lip gloss and mascara, which is pretty much all I wear these days too.

HTH!

Fast forward to early October. We go to a full day of fine arts classes on Mondays. This particular Monday it was stormy and we lost our electricity, so were getting ready in the dark. (We leave around 7:45 a.m. so it is dark when there is a havy cloud cover.) A is paniced and demands we leave earlier than usual.

I ask why? Her answer: "I must get there before anyone else so I can get my make-up on before anyone sees me!"

Respectfully I ask...does this not bother you? I wouldn't like this if my dd felt this way about makeup. I wear makeup every day and I think it is somewhat dysfunctional that I do not accept my appearance without it. I hope my daughter will not feel this way. Truly, I would be happiest if she either wears only the barest natural makeup or wears none at all...forever. Her face is natural and lovely without it and I pray she always sees it this way.

Thanks for sharing your experience! This is how I feel, but it is nice to know it worked from an experienced Mom!

I used to say 18, but now I have a 13 yo, and I think we will give the okay at 15. That is high school age, and that is when I was allowed to wear make-up.

My oldest dd will probably not wear it anyway. I saw girls at church putting lip gloss on, and I knew it was about that age, so I took then-almost-13-yo dd to Sephora and asked if she wanted to get some lip gloss as a treat. She looked at me like I was crazy and told me she had no interest in being like those other girls. :001_smile: She's rather practical, and unless it serves a concrete purpose, she will want no part of it.

Now my 11 yo is probably waiting for the day...

:iagree:

Of course, this is the little girl who thinks it is horrible when she sees a female with even a teensy bit of stomach showing, let alone a bikini! I don't think I will have a problem with my "prudish" little girl :lol:.

My dd could be called prudish too, but we make it sound positive as possible by calling her "modest", lol. And we thank our lucky stars she tends to be that way. I am hoping it will make the later teen years easier. Being prudish can be a good thing, can't it?! lol :D

No this does not bother me. I feel it is normal at this age. I was this way at 16 and my older one was this way at 16. We both just shake our head at this child. She is very dramatic--know as our drama queen and into performing. I think it all goes with the age and character.

I wear very little make-up now and go days without putting any on. My oldest wears more than I, but is not obsessed by it. Most teens are very critical and sensitive about hheir looks and eventually become less so.

This daughter is beautiful. She has china doll features and has only had about 3 blemishes her entire life. She turns heads even without make-up. I have been told often that she should be a model. She is knock down gorgeous.

But I won't go there. I stress often that inner beauty is more important than outer and we have many talks about it.

Linda

For my dd's 11th birthday this October, we have an appointment at a local spa/salon place for facials. And dd will receive a skin care lesson. We will see how interested and diligent she is about doing that first. Then around age 13 or so, if she requests, we will allow her to wear lightly tinted lip gloss or a bit of blush on her cheeks if she is looking pale.

I have explained to her at length that while we will continue to allow her to add products as she needs/wishes, that will only hold true if the makeup enhances her natural beauty. If we look at her and see HER face, fine. But if we look at her and see makeup, then that is the end of that.

I seriously doubt much will come of it. She wanted to do fingernail polish this year. I said fine, but told her that I could not abide chipped or scraggly polish and pointed out that due to her tomboy ways, her fingernails were usually not something to which one would wish to call attention. She wore it once, then put it away for nearly a year. She has some on now, but I expect when it comes off it will be another long stretch before reapplication.

I agree that a big part of this seems to be whether I will support her attempts at "growing up" or whether I will encourage her to remain a child. I want her to stay as young as possible for as long as possible. Ironically enough, the best way for us to achieve that appears to be letting her try things with some basic rules attached. She tries it, discovers that it is a pain to keep up with, and then forgets all about it.

eta: Her favorite thing to do with her fingernail polish is to catch dh napping in his recliner and give him a surprise pedicure!

My girl is a very girly girl. She loves her makeup. I never made a big deal about it- she wasnt interested beyond lip gloss until she was 12 or so if I remember correctly. Now at 15, she wears makeup every day, but it is subtle.

I have made comments at times such as "wow, thats a lot of make up " or "I think thats a bit much". Ditto about her choice of clothes. But its been rare. Mostly, she has worked it out for herself and my gentle comments, rather than directives, have been enough for her to back off with it.

I prefer not to interfere or control her, or anticipate problems where there are none.

I was not a girly girl although I did have make up. Having a girl who loves to do her nails and her hair and her face and cares about her clothes- has been such a joy to me, and healing, actually. I play with her with it all, and I enjoy her teenagerhood with her, I revel in her beauty with her, and I totally want her to feel she can express herself and play with it all. If she was grossly inappropriate, I would say something, but it hasnt happened.

Respectfully I ask...does this not bother you? I wouldn't like this if my dd felt this way about makeup. I wear makeup every day and I think it is somewhat dysfunctional that I do not accept my appearance without it. I hope my daughter will not feel this way. Truly, I would be happiest if she either wears only the barest natural makeup or wears none at all...forever. Her face is natural and lovely without it and I pray she always sees it this way.

But if you are disfunctional about it, how will "hoping" stop your dd from feeling the same way?

Isnt it better to live what you want your dd to live, rather than doing one thing and "hoping" she would do another, and then being concerned that someone else's child is wanting to get their make up on? It just seems strangely incongruent.

My dd thinks she is beautiful, with or without makeup, and she tells me I am beautiful with or without makeup (and I dont wear it regularly). Makeup is fun though. Its pretty normal for (usually older)teens to feel "naked" without it. I dont think it needs to be a big deal at all though.

I think my practicality has unknowingly rubbed off on my two girls (they're only 10 and 11, so that may change in even 6 months!). They have had friends that at early ages (5 & 6) LOVED makeup, so much so that their mom would get those huge sample cases and they would just have fun playing with it and dressing up in big clothes (hats/scarfs/boas..too fun)...if they had asked for it I would have given it to them or if they'd just show an interest, but I think my girls tend to mirror my take on makeup...functional...

I learned long ago that makeup can be a hindrance....I remember a friend in high school having to always carry a compact and hit that oily spot on her nose or clear away mascara runs and reapply...she had to look in a mirror to apply lipstick so as her buddy we spent a good deal of the time running to make sure she felt like she looked 'complete'...I really only put lipstick on for senior picture or lipgloss...and I almost never used a mirror, if it went on straight, all the better. I had friends that did the whole miracol system/merle norman/etc. who had a 5 step routine for bedtime..I have to admit I loved the smell of that pink mask (they couldn't believe I only used hand soap)

Well...long digest, I had an epiphany when I had spent 16 hours hiking up Long's peak in Colorado...it was one of the most memorable, laborious, challenging things I had ever done, reaching the summit was amazing...my hiking partner and I took lots of pictures and what I realized was that THIS is how I want to view myself...accomplishing/working hard/reaching that summit...did I do it without makeup, heck yeah! Did anyone look at me and say, ooh she'd look so much better with a touch of lipstick? Nah. So, I think we can get caught, especially as teens with an unhealthy look at 'how do I look?'

Now don't get me wrong, I had a makeup artist do my makeup for my wedding, (mom's idea, guess she realized I'd just put gloss on and go! But she was paying for the photographer..so I indulged her and it was fun!) but to this day, I do buy the more pricey foundation, I'm a little nuts about spf and don't like the smells of some drug store brands...but I buy one bottle a year, most the time I don't use it up, just replace it b/c I feel it's too old, I wait and buy when I get the free gift and it usually comes wtih blush/shadows/lipstick/mascara...oila..if I ever need that extra bit, there it is...I never noticed Mother Teresa carrying around a makeup bag...she did okay...I wonder if Madame Curie had a favorite shade, and Condaleeza Rice seems to not load it on...men don't wear makeup, so why should that affect our abilities to succeed? It's a huge industry and they're selling it pretty good, but should my daughters have fun with makeup, why not...but should they commit 30 minutes in the morning to their appearances on a daily basis when they could be out getting the ground work done on their best buddy horse?

Makeup for me is spf and moisturizer...it goes on about 3x a week, guess my daughters have picked up on that. Does it bother me that others may have a love fest with it...not at all....it's fun after all....I just usually have other fun to get to.

Tara

My dds are 13 and 11 and the subject of makeup has never come up. I barely wear any.

I forgot to say, they do wear makeup for their ballet recital. But other than that, we've never discussed it. I'd be inclined to allow foundation, blush, and lip gloss at a minimum.

It would 100% depend on my girlies.

Sometimes a bit of cheek color in winter, or cover-up for occasional blemishes help a girl not worry about how she looks. I wouldn't say no outright if/when asked. My 17 yr old has perfect, darker skin with a nice rosy undertone from running outside. I am betting that if she felt she needed cover-up for blemishes, or whatever, makeup would be on her radar. If that were the case, I'd try to help her feel comfortable as best I could with quality cosmetics that would let her youth show. I would also make sure she saw a good dermatologist regularly if she had problem skin.