Menu

College math question

Jean in Wisc

My son is taking College Math at the university, and his prof does not let them use a calculator for any of their work. Is this normal? He's been spending hours figuring problems out--8 to the power of 6 or other types of time-consuming calculations.

I'm sure the prof just wants the students to know what they are doing rather than knowing how to use a calculator. I was just wondering if anyone here knew if this is common at the university level.

Thanks.

Jean

My kids have not been allowed their calculators for calculus 1, 2, or 3.

They WERE allowed their calculators for statistics, thankfully. And ds was allowed his calculator for linear algebra.

My son is taking a math class this semester -- it's got a strange name -- and the prof wisely divided all the exams into two sections. One is an in-class section done w/o calculators; one is a take-home section where they can not only use calculators but Maple!!!!!

Work that is to be done without calculators has to be designed carefully enough that the kids don't spend all their time doing silly menial calculations. It doesn't sound like your son's prof has done this. That's too bad!

but wider talking to folks experience....it varies wildly from school to school.

I can see the benefits of both ways of doing things. I think the idea of certain parts being calculator free but other parts including both the power of the calculator and Maple makes the most sense. I think that matches up to reality a whole lot more.

Our son asked his student mentors about what to bring calculator wise as we have both Ti-84 plus Silver an Ti-89....they said bring them both and you'll probably use the 89 most of the time....

Bummer for me...I had grown found of the 89.

But, they also are supposed to down load a bunch of math programs for the engineering series. I don't really remember all components...

Jean...I feel sorry for your ds...that sounds a bit ridiculous.

Jean, I have a thought...is it possible that your son is misunderstanding the professor? Might he be allowed to use a simple scientific calculator, just not a graphing one?

No, I don't think so. She was really specific according to him. She gives them 2 hours for the tests instead of 50 minutes (normal class time) so that they have time to do calculations.

:tongue_smilie:

Jean

My kids have not been allowed their calculators for calculus 1, 2, or 3.

They WERE allowed their calculators for statistics, thankfully. And ds was allowed his calculator for linear algebra.

My son is taking a math class this semester -- it's got a strange name -- and the prof wisely divided all the exams into two sections. One is an in-class section done w/o calculators; one is a take-home section where they can not only use calculators but Maple!!!!!

We do not expect 1st graders to do their math homework of 'adding/subtracting' using calculator. With the same reason, you can not do at least certain portion of calculus using calculator.

Interesting...the only restriction my son has found so far is that graphing calculators are not allowed for chemistry exams but simple scientific calculators are allowed. Math courses which involve use of graphing calculators specify TI 83 or 84. Ds's experience so far is that it's ok to use something else, but you can't rely on the instructor's help in using the calculator. All the calculus courses listed in the catalog specify that a graphing calculator will be used. IMO, a no-calculator rule would be just fine, but at my house I was outvoted on that issue.

http://www.uiowa.edu/~examserv/mathmatters/calculator_parents.html

Interesting thread. This brief article, "A Word About Calculators" mentions that many colleges do not allow graphing calc’s. A survey I found months ago when googling the topic said graphing calc were used in 61% of calculus classes. Perhaps a more recent survey will show a lower percentage of use.

hi guys,

I hate the maths. I like the literature.

But I have to study it. So, how can I improve my attention to the maths?

Are you in high school or college or ?

If in college, I've recommended to my son that he go to the math helps center on campus to do all of his math homework. This way they will be able to answer all his questions on the spot.

Just one idea.

Jean

Guest haeveingridseyn
Are you in high school or college or ?

If in college, I've recommended to my son that he go to the math helps center on campus to do all of his math homework. This way they will be able to answer all his questions on the spot.

Just one idea.

Jean

Thanks.......!!:iagree: