Menu

Private school will not use homeschool code for PSAT. Is that a problem?

The school site I assumed our small homeschool group would be using for the PSAT test told me today, "Because we have had problems with the homeschool code in the past, we will not use it this year."

I don't doubt there was some trouble, and I do not want to disturb good relations with this private school. However, what is the downside to not using the homeschool code for an eleventh grader?

There are some issues:

1. Your children's scores will be sent to the school, not to you. Homeschoolers receive their childrens' scores directly.

2. If a student in your group scores high enough to be a National Merit Semifinalist, he or she will be listed with the NM corporation as a student in that school and it will cause problems with the paperwork. Homeschoolers fill out the scholarship application in a somewhat different manner than students in schools.

3. Your students' scores will be counted with the private school's scores.

Did the school use the correct code? Here is a list of codes by state for the PSAT:

http://www.hslda.org/docs/news/hslda/200710210.asp

GardenMom

I noticed that list was dated 2007... are the codes the same year to year?

To the best of my knowledge, yes. My dd took the PSAT last year (October 2008) and used this code. It worked perfectly - she was designated as a homeschooler in Virginia, and we got her score in the mail at home.

GardenMom

Edited by MomsintheGarden
clarification

If a student in your group scores high enough to be a National Merit Semifinalist, he or she will be listed with the NM corporation as a student in that school and it will cause problems with the paperwork. Homeschoolers fill out the scholarship application in a somewhat different manner than students in schools.
Thank you for this important information, and in your later post, the fact that the 2007 code worked last year.

I'd be curious to know what the problems were.
Me too. I want to arm myself with troubleshooting suggestions before I call the headmistress back on Monday, so as to not take up too much of her time with students who are not in her school. I'll report back.

• 2 weeks later...

This school will now permit use of the homeschool code as long as parents, not the school, handle any problems directly with College Board. Apparently there were problems last year with homeschooler(s?) who did not receive the test results. Parent(s) then expected the school to investigate the matter. I have no details. I got permission to use the code; therefore I am letting the matter rest.

Good luck and best wishes to all navigating the PSAT test taking system. Surely it should be easier than it is.

This school will now permit use of the homeschool code as long as parents, not the school, handle any problems directly with College Board. Apparently there were problems last year with homeschooler(s?) who did not receive the test results. Parent(s) then expected the school to investigate the matter. I have no details. I got permission to use the code; therefore I am letting the matter rest.

Good luck and best wishes to all navigating the PSAT test taking system. Surely it should be easier than it is.

Thanks for the update. I wonder if perhaps the student(s) made an error in entering the code on their form, or if the school provided the wrong code? I made my sons memorize the code before the test (LOL) just in case.

I have a son who would like to take a PSAT test next month. I am wondering if he needs to get official permission from school to use homeschool code. Or could he write homeschool code in the test, without having any discussion with the school?
The school purchases and administers the PSAT tests. They control who takes the test and the conditions under which the test is taken. Your son would need to cooperate with the school. I suppose he could write in any code he chooses, and hope they don't notice or object. Know, though, that he won't be allowed to write the code down on anything to use as a reference when filling out the form on test day. Students can't take any written material, even a little piece of paper with the code written on it, into the testing area.

When my daughter took her PSAT at a private school, she used the homeschool code. Without telling us, they erased it and wrote the school code in its place. We waited for 2 weeks past the date we expected the results, then called College Board. We were told her scores were sent to the school. We called the school repeatedly to get a copy of her scores. Many promises, no follow through. In March we convinced College Board to mail a copy to us. Turns out she was a NMSQT semi-finalist which opened up a whole other can o' worms. We had to have everything cancelled and reissued with the homeschool code. It was a mess.

Barb

When I finally understood that it is best to talk to the guidance counselor who really does know school policy instead of the school secretary who thinks she knows, I got better advice. School policies vary, and it's not always easy to find out the details. One of the first things the GC asked me was if I knew the code for hs'ers because SHE didn't, and couldn't guarantee that the proctor would either.

She also told me that proctors are instructed to make sure that the right code was on all the forms, so that ds ought to remind the proctor that he was using the hs code so she wouldn't "correct" what might otherwise look like a mistake.

Ds was able to memorize it; just wish he'd memorize his SS#. :glare: What would we do w/o cell phones??? [He was able to temporarily memorize it for testing, but tends to forget it at the most awkward times..]

My understanding (which may not be entirely accurate) is that, unlike ACT and SAT, schools do administer the PSAT primarily for their own students, so IMO it's totally the school's call to decide whether or how much to accommodate non-students. I had different expectations for my interactions with the school when ds took the ACT at the same location. For the PSAT, though, I felt that the school was doing us a favor and made sure that I acknowledged my own responsibilities and expressed gratitude for their help.

Edited by Martha in NM
add info