Menu

Microchem kit and The Teaching Co. Chemistry lectures

Ds is currently working through Apologia Physical Science. This is going to take us approximately 24 weeks. I was thinking of trying to combine the Microchem kit with the Chemistry lectures from the Teaching Co. The set of DVDs that I have contain thirty 30-minute lessons, and the instructor is Frank Cardulla. Does anyone know if these would align well or have a schedule for such? Would this be a good think to do over twelve weeks or should we just do the Microchem set by itself? I didn't know if that would be twelve weeks' worth or not. It appears that there are 17 experiments in the microchem kit. Anyone know about how long each of the experiments takes?

TIA for any insights.

The times for the Microchem experiements vary, based on the two labs we've done before. One took us over an hour and the other too half an hour. There is a list included with the kit that shows you how to line up experiments with about 8 Chemistry courses, but not with the Teaching Company lectures or with Conceptual Chemistry.

The times for the Microchem experiements vary, based on the two labs we've done before. One took us over an hour and the other too half an hour. There is a list included with the kit that shows you how to line up experiments with about 8 Chemistry courses, but not with the Teaching Company lectures or with Conceptual Chemistry.

or is this impractical?

Yes, but I don't think it is enough to constitute a full Chemistry credit. I would do a lecture series or a texbook or both. One of the courses MicroChem gives a list to line up chapters with is the Apologia Chemistry, and I see you've been using their Physical Science. We're doing it with Conceptual Chemistry combined with the Chemistry Alive! lectures and it's working well. Later, however, we're going to do an AP course.

Edited by Karin

We use both the Teaching Company DVDs and MicroChem with Apologia Chemistry at our co-op. In the past I have used Teaching Company DVDs and MicroCHem with ABeka Chemistry. It can be done. DIVE CDs have information on how to allign their CDs to different Chemistry books. I'm using the DIVE Biology CD with Apologia Biology this year and it has labs and lectures on it. I will probably use it when we do Chemistry next year.

God bless,

Vicki

I plan to do Apologia Chemistry next year. However, I am going to have 12 weeks to fill in at the end of this school year b/c ds is moving along quite well through Apologia Physical Science. So, I am trying to figure out a way to fill out that last twelve weeks with "some" Chemistry that would lead us into a full year of Apologia next school year. I know there are schedules aligning all three, or at least two of the three, but I am trying to fill an isolated twelve weeks. I thought maybe doing the Microchem set separately would be a good idea. On the schedules I have seen, the Microchem experiments are not evenly divided topic-wise throughout the Apologia chemistry year.

Could I just do the Microchem set over 12 weeks at the end of this year and then do a regular chemistry course next year?

I guess I was fearful that if we started into chemsitry and then took a break over the summer we would lose ground covered.

I plan to do Apologia Chemistry next year. However, I am going to have 12 weeks to fill in at the end of this school year b/c ds is moving along quite well through Apologia Physical Science. So, I am trying to figure out a way to fill out that last twelve weeks with "some" Chemistry that would lead us into a full year of Apologia next school year. I know there are schedules aligning all three, or at least two of the three, but I am trying to fill an isolated twelve weeks. I thought maybe doing the Microchem set separately would be a good idea. On the schedules I have seen, the Microchem experiments are not evenly divided topic-wise throughout the Apologia chemistry year.

Could I just do the Microchem set over 12 weeks at the end of this year and then do a regular chemistry course next year?

I guess I was fearful that if we started into chemsitry and then took a break over the summer we would lose ground covered.

That makes sense. You could do it your way, but I would personally intersperse the labs with the chapters and do any experiments you would like to add at the end. We're not going to do all of them; one requires a piece of equipment that doesn't come with the kit that I don't plan to buy, at least not this year. We have the 4 organic chem labs, too. There isn't much teaching with the labs.