Menu

What would you "do over" about junior high for your students?

I'm coming up quickly on the junior high years for my children. If you could do those years again, what would you do? What is the best way to prepare them for the level of work in high school? I'd like to learn from those who've gone before.

Thanks very much!

WTMCassandra

Testing! My dd has a difficult time with testes. She does fine orally, but the actual tests, she doesn't do as well.

I learned with my oldest that I wanted to teach my junior high student to be able to take the tests and do the work required for a good grade in high school. For one thing, it meant reading and taking tests in science in junior high just like the reading and testing that would be done in high school. It was the realization that one could not go from hands-on, mom-lead science to read-the-book and take-a-test science in 9th grade (Yeah, I should have known better, but...).

I'm teaching my 8th grader how to write a precis from his history reading and how to write the short essays that I will give for history tests next year. I'm certain he could not crank out short paragraph essays for the history tests unless we'd practiced putting coherent thought into a few sentences--and learning to answer the question that was asked and not just meander around the question.

I am requiring more writing and more grammar earlier (we did not do as much grammar with my oldest since we did not start out doing classical). We started Latin earlier so that we could make our way through Henle more easily once we were in high school. We are pushing harder to stay on schedule in math.

Also, I think it important to get done anything you can so that the high school schedule can be freed up--keyboarding for example...the Latin, the intensive grammar...

Does that help?

Jean

Wow, Jean, thanks so much for this! There is so much to think about from your post.

Yes, I need to keep moving steadily with Latin (we are LCII Lesson 8). I need to keep emphasizing writing (CW Aesop A Lesson 11, just got Aesop B in the mail today). The precis writing is a good point, as well as subject tests. I haven't done much with that. And, I need to somehow make time for teaching keyboarding (that I have been meaning to get to for a year already!). Intensive grammar--I'm a grammar fiend, so I think we're on track there. How many 11yos and 9yos know by heart: "Shun the passive voice!" and "Avoid the dreaded comma splice!"

And let's not forget math. In a year or so I'll be entering the Algebra zone. Eeek. Breathe in. Breathe out.

I have always felt our ds wasn't as strong in reading and particularly critical reading as he should be. I should have intervened sooner and started working with him when I became suspicious. But I allowed myself to put it on a back burner because he excelled in other areas. Now we are in catch up mode to be ready to do his best on the college entrance tests.

I'd definitely listen to myself a bit more if i could do it again.

HTH

SHaron

Also, I think it important to get done anything you can so that the high school schedule can be freed up--keyboarding for example...the Latin, the intensive grammar...

Jean, do you mean that your three examples should be done as much as possible before high school, or that the high school schedules should be freed up to do those three examples? (I'm thinking you mean the first thing)

This was a great encouragement to keep going with what we are doing.

And now, I think I've figured out how to order the messages in the thread. We'll see when I press "post!" :)

I agree with all of the above posts! I would focus a lot on developing good writing and having them become more independent. I have a 7th grader and I can see a big difference in his maturity and independence this year. He is able to digest a lot of the material on his own and is able to apply it on tests.

I liked Jean in Wisc's comments about getting the Latin out of the way. My 7th ds is doing Latin II (using Latin in the Christian Trivium) this year which will free him up to either continue his study of Latin or to learn a new language.

My goal for next year is to really get him to analyze books. I am reading Deconstructing Penguins right now and am looking at the Teaching the Classics program. I think I need to push him a little more in his discussions.

Good luck!:)

Really teach them 'how' to write. Writing is so essential, but we kind-of skipped over a lot of it early on, trying to fit everything in.

I'd reduce science, logic, etc. to some degree, and do more writing lessons; or at least incorporate more writing into those lessons.

I'd also incorporate more research work; give them less, and let them find out for themselves more.

Ah--after rereading I see that I was not very clear. LOL! Yes, I have moved those activities into the junior high years so that when the student gets to high school he can spend more time on his core subjects, and so he already knows how to do the work and take the tests to get his best grades. It is not a good idea to have the "learning curve" on "how to take a test" represented in his grades on his transcript--that lower grade point average can be the difference between a full scholarship or not.

Jean

If I had to do it over, I would make my kids write more for composition purposes and for penmanship.

For grammar, I would have them write out the sentence corrections instead of simply adding corrections in the book. I like the way R & S suggests rather than ABeka.

I would choose R & S language (and probably spelling) over ABeka.

I would start composition as soon as they could speak. If they can articulate with oral words, they will be able to articulate on paper.

I would be the one to start asking "Why?" I would start Socratic questioning as early as possible.

I would choose a curriculum and stick with it! There is a lot to be said about continuity throughout all the stages.

I would require more reading. We did read a lot, but I think we probably could have read a lot more.

I would require lots of memorization. Poems, quotes, rules.

Even though we basically used the trivium-based classical model through our twenty years of homeschooling, if wasn't until the last six or so years of schooling that I realized it has a name. When Dough Wilson and SWB began to write about classical education, I realized we had been doing it all along.

Gotta run!

*hanging head* That's what I've got. I just haven't been able to get it scheduled in so the children actually sit down and do it. Oh, wait a minute--one child could do it while the other is practicing piano! That might work. Thanks for getting me thinking.

It's just hard sometimes fitting everything in. My DH is even doing two subjects on the weekends--RS4K Biology and programming in LOGO.

I'd start introducing more rigid deadlines for work to be completed . It's very easy when they are young to leave something until another day, or even not to get around to it at all. When they hit high school they have more work and the school year can really stretch into the summer if they slack off. The homeschool mom's deadlines are generally a lot more flexible than the deadlines of external teachers. My dd is doing online grade 12 and getting the modules completed by the date required is one of the biggest challenges for her. Great lesson in time management though!

Sandra.

DD started taking high school on-line classes when she was 13. Learning to write the short (1-2) page reports that seem to constantly be required for these on-line classes has been an involved process. (She is very comfortable writing creatively--but much less comfortable writing reports.) I'll start ds off on short non-fiction pieces sooner.

We are focusing on test skills, standardized test taking, writing, reading quickly, note taking and outlining this year. And another big focus for my dd is time management. :eek:

I'm amazed at her growth across the spectrum this year.

Jean in Wisconsin. :) your posts are always so encouraging and packed with useful ideas. Thanks. I'm still nervous about high school, but not overwhelmed.

It's a piddly little thing ... but I wish I'd had my teen do some penmanship practice during the middle school years. Her cursive is, shall we say, less than stellar and now with a very busy schedule there is no longer the time to work on it.

Regards,

Kareni

I agree with Jean. I need to do a better job with dd (now 7th grade) than I did with ds on preparing to do high school work, particularly in the area of essay-writing.

I agree that it's important to take care of the basics so we can free up our high school schedule.

I also plan to start Latin earlier -- and push through even when it's "hard" or "boring"!

Makes sense to me! This is encouraging to me to "keep on keeping on" with teaching skills. I figured it was just so that in high school the student would be able to study content more on his own - but the whole learning curve about taking test idea makes sense, too. Thank you!

And now, I should be elevated to "hive mind larvae...." or whatever it's called.

I would have second-guessed myself less. Worried less, trusted my instincts.

Ditto.

I watch and listen to my twins and I really can't complain. They are both independent learners and want to be 'A' students. I never have to be the task master and tell them to do this or do that they just step up to the plate and do it. So in this sense the husband and I have done well. The rest is just gravy.;)

I am only just in the middle of our junior high years, but I know I will focus more on writing with son #2!

Anything specific, Crissy?

I know I've started more formal writing instruction earlier with Lydia and John than I did with Madeline. She's a good writer, but I wish she were more comfortable at this point with doing research, and with report type writing.

My poor guinea pig. ;)

I would have second-guessed myself less. Worried less, trusted my instincts.

This is so me. I have be so insecure in my curriculum choices, lesson plans, scheduling, etc. that my dd14 always seems to be able to use the curriculum or lesson plans as a excuse on why she is no working to the best of her ability. I've learned (am learning) that have confidence in this area makes a world of difference in home our school days (month, semester, year) progresses.

I would start algebra earlier. I've started algebra with my two oldest in high school. I'm hoping to start algebra with my youngest in 8th grade. I'm willing to go slow and take two years if needed, but at least she should be finished by the end of 9th. My current 9th grader is going so slow in algebra that she will probably have to go into her sophomore year.

FWIW,

I agree absolutely about the testing! I think that testing often in multiple subjects will help prepare them greatly for college, even if they never go to an organized high school. Not everyone is a natural at test-taking and doing it well, often, is best learned through practice.

I hate to say that I never got around to teaching formal keyboarding skills to my older son and so he's had to take that in school this year. I bought a program and always meant to do it, but just kept pushing it back. This probably won't be a problem for most folks in today's world, I know I'm just a dinosaur, LOL. I actually kept them away from computers as much as possible. Many libraries provide computer training classes that might be helpful, in addition to learning just keyboarding skills.

I am glad that we finished up a lot of high school level classes by the time my son re-entered private school. This will free up his schedule there to try different things he might not have been able to do with me. I think getting PE, health, art appreciation (humanities, or whatever your school district calls it), and other such classes out of the way early will help your older student be able to specialize, no matter where they do their school work.

Regena