Menu

Science version of WEM?

Thinking about self education here -

I am enjoying homeschooling as much for the chance to go back and self educate. I'm working on Latin, reading SWB's new history book and working my way through The Well Educated Mind. My problem is science.

Is there a science-y version of the WEM that would give me a good, big picture overview? If you have tackled science, what did you read or do?

TIA -

Try "Science Matters" by Robert Hazen, and his "The Joy of Science" lectures from the Teaching Company.

:iagree: A new edition of Science Matters came out a few months ago. It's a wonderful book. We are using it this year in our science students and as a non-science person I am finally understanding concepts that have always confused me.

I just finished The Canon: A Whirligig Tour of the Beautiful Basics of Science.

I think every adult should read this book. ;) I plan on buying a copy and assigning it to my kids when they are in high school.

It has the following chapters:

• Thinking Scientifically: An Out-of-Body Experience
  • Probabilities: For Whom the Bell Curves
  • Calibration: Playing with Scales
  • Physics: And Nothing's Plenty for Me
  • Chemistry: Fire, Ice, Spies, and Life
  • Evolutionary Biology: The Theory of Every Body
  • Molecular Biology: Cells and Whistles
  • Geology: Imagining World Pieces
  • Astronomy: Heavenly Creatures

It is accessible and yet full of great information.

Not to my knowledge, no, but I think you have suggested an excellent project for me to work on after I launch my son into college. ;) Thanks!

You mean writing a book??? Oh YES!! Do it! Include math, too. I just looked up the science chapter in my How to Read A Book book, and it includes math. But maybe you could write a WEM-style book about reading science and math! I'd buy it! :)