Menu

Calling all folks who are versed in the use of Natural remedies...re:H1N1

I would like advice on how to give the Vitamin D? Is a certain time of day better, divide the doses, take with calcium?

Yesterday I started a thread about both my dd waking up with 101 fever. The older one (she has bad asthma, born with some kidney issues) started feeling much worse, so I took her to Children's Hospital emergency room that afternoon. Her temp was 102 , cough continuing to worsen, and they gave her Motrin and we waited on Dr. Her test came back negative for the flu, but the Dr said to watch her that it might be the flu or something similar. She said they had had 100's of cases the past week or so and about 1/2 tested negative but that many of the children who were negative showed the same symptoms, duration as the flu. As she put it "if it walks like a duck, talks like a duck, maybe it is a duck". She said she would not give her Tamiflu as they are only advising on the most severe, very debilitated kids. She did say to talk to her pediatrician but to call ahead and not take dd into the pediatricians office as they might not be allowing flu patients in there (huh???)

Sorry so long. I am giving dd#1 who is sick 4000 of Vit D but I realize she needs more.

DH has Multiple Scelorisis and takes monthly IV of Tysabri, so he has a compromised immune system. He seems just fine. What can I do for him?

Any advice? I feel fine (I'm taking 10,000 IU today and yesterday, I normally take 2000 to 4000 Vit D a day)

Thanks!

with very high doses, dividing doses is good. always serve with a meal or snack that contains some fat regardless of dose size.

I posted earlier in the thread a very helpful document that I created.....it contains D dosing information including regarding Stoss therapy (ie 1000 IU D per pound of body weight) to treat influenza. If not treating the flu, continue with 1000 IU per 25 lbs body weight every day don't get midday summer sun in a bathing suit wihtout any sunscreen.

Rapid flu tests have a 50-90% false negative rate which explains the high rate of negs the ER doc was seeing. Why they don't know that is a mystery to me:001_huh:

K

Thank you Cillakat, you are such a wonderful asset to this board.

I had read the Stoss therapy you wrote, but I was sstill confused about what you have now clarified (breaking up doses).

I am still confused about if I need to give calcium in addition each time I give Vit D. I did not know about giving food with fat in it each time ,I have not been doing that. I will rectify that today.

thank you so very much!

I am still confused about if I need to give calcium in addition each time I give Vit D.

Nope. But taking D, you do need to be sure they're getting optimal amounts of calcium and magnesium. Don't forget the magnesium....it's critical!.

I did not know about giving food with fat in it each time ,I have not been doing that.

Doesn't need to be much either....just about everything has some fat in it aside from fruits and veggies.

Any meal will do the trick....and for a snack, even nuts/veg, a tbsp spoon of yogurt etc will be fine

:)

K

It's definitely not 'easy' to overdose on A, it's simply that b/c of D deficiency, A toxicity symptoms show even at non-toxic levels. We just need optimal amounts of D.......then normal intakes of A aren't a problem.

I agree that normal intakes of A are not a problem. The below is from pp.53-54 of The Vitamin D Cure ,

"Stay Away From Too Much Vitamin A

When you're shopping for vitamin D, avoid supplements with vitamin A in them. If you do take vitamin D supplements that contain vitamin A, be careful because you can easily overdose on A when you're innocently trying to beef up your D level.

The combination D/A products are derived from fish liver oil (usually cod-liver oil), and the typical ratio is 10:1, meaning 10 times more vitamin A than vitamin D. The new RDI/DRI for vitamin A is 2310 IU for women, 3000 IU for men, and about half that for children. So you get a toxic amount at about 9000 to 10,000 IU per day in adults, 3000 IU per day for children. A better, safer form of vitamin A is beta-carotene.

You can recognize acute Vitamin A intoxication from the following symptoms:

• Nausea
  • Vomiting
  • Headaches
  • Dizziness
  • Blurred vision
  • Rashes
  • Lack of coordination

Keep in mind, too, that chronic vitamin A toxicity can cause birth defects, liver abnormalities, osteoporosis, and central nervous system disorders, so this isn't a vitamin you can take lightly."

When I went to get the vitamin D supplements, the pharmacist told me I should not give high doses because it can build in your body and affect your heart. :( The pediatrician refused to give me an help at all with dosing my kids because he said he didn't recomment it at all.
Yes, traditional wisdom is that Vit. D is "dangerous" because it is a fat soluble Vitamin, and that recommended dosages are all you need. His information is outdated. I am sorry that he couldn't help you. I like to start with 500 IU for every 25 lbs of body weight and see if there is an improvement. (half of the current recommended dose)