Menu

Do you Compost

DH SAID WE CAN COMPOST!!!!!

yeah so we are moving into our own house soon and id like to compost. he was on bord, told me to take care of it though....

im lost.lol

what do i use? what do we buy?

ill have great soil, and might cut back on garbage cost too :)

Well...I have been composting for several years and what I do is dump all our coffee grounds, veggies scraps (no meat, no dairy) etc into our compost bin outside. It turns into dirt. You can stir it , flip it etc, or you can leave it. It still turns into dirt, but the time it will take varies with your method.

I have a compost pile for my chicken pens-- the muck and the hay etc, and that turned into a *huge* butternut squash patch this year, and I did absolutely nothing.

Have you read the book Worms Eat My Garbage? It's a fun read and very cool. Plus, there are many composting sites online. Everyone seems to have their favorite way to compost. In the end, organic material decomposes.

I compost in two places in my yard. One is kind of weird. We had a tree fall over and it left a rather large hole. I decided what the heck...I'll compost in the hole and if nothing else it will fill up it up. It has worked well except for the filling it up part. You needs lots of "green" and "brown" to make dirt. I mean a LOT! Plus I have scooped it out and used it in my raised beds.

I also have a computer desk I made my kids fish out of someone's large trash pick up pile (they were mortified but I was insistant because I had a vision) that I turned on its side and I compost in it, too. I haven't bought a thing!

We compost and it is great. We put all of our grass clippings, vegetable scraps, coffee and tea, some finely shredded newspaper and water. We finally broke down and bought a compost tumbler. It was very expensive but well worth it. It makes a huge difference in our potted plants. I love it!

I have for a few years. My husband built three bins (imagine a rectangle with two dividers with fronts that slide out).

We throw in: old potting soil, grass and shrub clippings, end-of-the-season flowers/dead-heading, mulched leaves, kitchen scraps (no meat or dairy), egg shells, coffee grounds, shredded paper, toilet paper rolls, paper towels, stuff I sweep up on the deck and walkway, etc.

My only problem is my pile never heats so my seeds never die. I guess I need more greens. I don't get lawn clippings often because my husband leaves them on the customers' lawns (that's what you're supposed to do, generally).

I have a thick plastic bucket with a lid (a plastic erector set came in it) that I keep under my sink next to the trash can. When it is full, I dig a hole in our pile and toss it in. I then cover it up.

Oh, and we obviously aren't turning it or watering it enough. Such work!

Edited by nestof3

We compost. We have a vermicomposter in the kitchen (just for kicks), we bury some scraps right in the garden (especially in the fall), and we have a compost pile in the yard that gets the rest... no special bin or anything; we just turn and water it periodically.

We do. We bought this composter thing at Costco. It didn't work so well until I had DH put a sprinkler in it, and now that it gets watered on a regular basis, it's got some beautiful stuff in there with tons of worms. I can't wait to rip out my summer garden and put all the compost in the winter garden. I always felt horribly guilty about putting all my vegetable peelings and scraps in the garbage, which is really why we started composting. Plus, after about 5 years of compost and steer manure twice a year, my garden plot has the best soil in the world.:D

The simple way to compost is to put up a wire fence in a circle and put all your scrapes and lawn waste (grass clippings & leaves etc) in and wait. Eventually it will all turn to compost. If you get it right, it will compost fast. If not it will compost slowly. Throw some dirt on it every now or then. A little beer is good to get things started.

For people with small space. Taking a black plastic garbage can and poking holes in it will work too. Compost gets very heavy so only fill it up about 1/2 full.

Organic Garden magazine and/or website has lots of info on composting.

No buying worms. Nature will provide disgusting prehistoric looking creatures all on its own.

:lol: Isn't that the truth!!

We have a compost bin, just a basic brick box with wooden removable fronts for easy retreival of the finished product, I think you need a good balance of green stuff like grass clippings and food, and brown stuff like twigs and dead leaves and seaweed.

We also have an old bath on a stand, and that houses our worm farm. We don't really need the worms, it could all go in the compost, but I'm fond of my worms :tongue_smilie:

Thanks so much for all the ideas!!! I desperately want to start a compost pile but haven't figured out how to do it for little $$.

It really needn't cost anything, as Organic Ann said, chicken mesh will be fine, as would wooden pallets banged together to hold it in.

what do i use? what do we buy?

You can do it without buying much. But... it depends on where you live. We are rural, so the neighbors aren't close, and we can just put a pile in the woods out back. I keep fruit/veggie scraps in a bowl on the counter and toss it into the compost pile once a day. (Actually, most of the scraps go to the chickens, but sometimes we have tomato stems or whatever that go into the pile.)

I have another pile inside a ring of "mesh" fencing in one of my raised garden beds. We toss used rabbit litter and the odd paper napkin in there. In the fall we add leaves. Spring means grass clippings.

Love that compost!

we have 4 very large compost bins. my husband is right into veggie gardening, and makes his own compost with saw dust from a local timber mill being one of the main ingredients. The more nitrogen that you put in the faster it will break down. the nitrogen can come from many sources, animal poo, green material ( lawn clippings etc.) or artificial fertilizer.

Alright strange question maybe but I have thought about composting and my ds6 has been bugging me to do it but I am worried about it attracting animals. Is this a legitimate concern? We do have a problem with bears and raccoons getting into our garbage as it it so I worry that this will just make things worse.

I have two piles next to the barn that has the chicken coop for ease of adding what I muck out of the coop. One is for compost that is currently "cooking" and one is for incoming stuff, to be added to the next pile. I'd like to get another one set up for finished compost at some point...

I just built a couple of four sided cube-shaped containers from 1x1s and hardware cloth-- like little boxes without tops or bottoms. The front piece is removable for turning.

You don't have to do the turning or worry about C:N ratios unless you want compost fast. If you just keep piling stuff in there it WILL eventually turn to compost, it just will take more time.

We haven't had critter problems (except the good kind--worms and other bugs-- that find their way in), but if I am adding something I think might be tempting I bury it in the middle of the pile.

Easy Compost is a great book to get you started-- most libraries have it. But there are many, many other books on composting out there as well!

Our city sells bins (about $45). You should check into that. It is constructed so critters can't get in (there is a roof rat problem in our area.) So that has worked.

We live in AZ, and actually have to water ours a little because it is so dry.

It does attract cockroaches :eek:.

our compost bin is 4 free wooden pallets off craigslist, tied together with wire. when it gets full, we simply unwrap the wire at one corner, drag the walls from around the compost pile to a spot immediately next to it [one wall won't be moved], and shovel the pile into the newly placed bin. you'd need a spot w/ enough room to do this tho. we don't do it very often. and no, we haven't bought worms.

I get a LOT of coffee grounds for free from the local gas station. Make friends w/ a cashier to plop them [filter and all] into a bag and call you to pick it up. Starbucks was saving them for a friend. If you call it a "4-H project for the kids" and let THEM make the request, you'll get more cooperation :D

the people 2 doors down have chickens and don't mind sharing their sh--, uh, chicken poop. ;) Horses and cattle a few doors down too.

a good space-saving indoor mini compost bin is a rectangular laundry detergent bucket. small, sturdy, has a handle, and replaceable if it breaks. You can also check the thrift stores for containers that have stains, mismatched lids, etc.

good luck!

Our compost has never attracted anything except worms and insects. That is one of the reasons you don't put meat/diary in. I'm sure a squirrel or a raccoon could come along and grab a rotten tomato or a withered carrot. But no big lost.

I think growing corn would attract more critters than having a compost bin.

Our compost has never attracted anything except worms and insects. That is one of the reasons you don't put meat/diary in. I'm sure a squirrel or a raccoon could come along and grab a rotten tomato or a withered carrot. But no big lost.

I think growing corn would attract more critters than having a compost bin.

Our dogs love veggies and will 'stir' the compost for us from time to time while searching for a specific tidbit. Most of the time, they leave it alone.

OP...

We compost right on top of a place we'd like to plant in the future. (I've done the bins and such in the past.) Right now I've piled stuff all summer on a potential flower/shrub bed. When I think I've got enough stuff there, I'll start dumping scraps in another area. Dig, stir, water.

Starbucks is great about giving coffee grounds. Those really heat up a pile.

Have a blast!

I compost right in a designated row in my garden. I started doing the "No work gardening" last year. I just pile my plant waste (bean plants, corn stalks, grass from the final mowing in the fall, all the leaves I can get from neighbors, leftover or rotten straw bales from the local school's fall festival and local ranchers) right on my garden rows in the fall. In the spring, I raked the non-broken down remains onto the rows where I then planted pumpkins (any large plant space would be fine) I used a pitchfork to gently turn in some of the broken down remains that didn't get raked away. Then I planted my garden. All through summer, weeds, plant waste, kitchen scraps, etc went into the designated row in the garden. The space I use is approximately 18" x 8'. I pile the stuff on 4' of it and once a week, I flip it with the pitchfork to the other side. No box, no fence, nothing. It works just fine for me. At my last house I had a wooden bin next to the fence. I do not follow rules - I think about putting some sawdust or something like that in the pile, then I just put a few scoops of dirt on it. Speed is not a factor for me.

Turning compost is good for arm strength.

Jenn can you tell me where I could read more about the no work garden, it sounds good to me, our compost takes a long time to break down due to the location and composting right in the garden sounds like a fine idea!

Sandra, I will post more information in the morning. My hubby is sleeping and if I get the book now, I'm sure to wake him.

I'll start a new thread :)