Menu

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm another BFSU user, and wanted to echo what others have said. I think it's much easier in book form than it would be on our kindle, since I'm forever referring around, especially when I was in the scheduling phase.

There is planning involved, certainly, but my experience has been that it's not really that much. I do tend to take about 30min before a lesson and pull out the key points that I want to make. I've even had the experience of planning one lesson and having Sweetie ask a question that would be answered by a different lesson that morning. I easily managed to switch plans at the last minute, and we had a lovely morning talking about how much air weighs. The materials required are really quite minimal -- the only thing we've had to go get has been balloons (we don't keep them around). There is one lesson in the K-2 book that needs a piece of strip molding, but after asking on the Yahoo group (which is still going, btw) there were several ideas for substitutes.

All told, I've found the BFSU K-2 lessons to be very age-appropriate for my 1st-2nd grader. I love those lessons where I feel like my brain does a flip in order to think scientifically, but I can see that my daughter is just learning to think that way from the beginning. I value that it's teaching both of us how the world actually works, beyond the cool science "magic-tricks" that I see in other books.

:)

Oh yes, the Yahoo group! I don't think anyone has linked it yet. I am a member but don't get to visit as often as I would like :tongue_smilie:. I just seem to always find my on way around things :). Anyway, here's the link to the Yahoo group for those that may be interested in joining.

K5science

Well, I am sold. I purchased BFSU last night on Amazon- on sale for 22.00 BTW. Thanks so much for all the helpful info. This is the best thread I've seen in a long time. Glad someone pulled it back up.

It sounds like BFSU will take some effort on my part, but I have to remember why I got into this homeschool game in the first place, LOL. You can't give your kids the best education you possibly can without a LITTLE bit of work, right? I'll just glob the prep time into my Phonics Road video watching time...

Seems like I have managed to decide on all the teacher intensive programs, LOL. Phonics Road, Rightstart, BFSU. But if Phonics Road and BFSU reward us like Rightstart has it will all be worth it!

Good catch on the Yahoo group. Definitely take a look there and use the files that folks have posted there. They are all excellent resources. There is also an example of the sequence to do the lessons if you choose to follow the flow that is suggested by the author. There's also a complete supply list.

Ask questions there and you will get great responses from other memebers and Dr. Nebel.

Well' date=' I am sold. I purchased BFSU last night on Amazon- on sale for 22.00 BTW. Thanks so much for all the helpful info. This is the best thread I've seen in a long time. Glad someone pulled it back up.

It sounds like BFSU will take some effort on my part, but I have to remember why I got into this homeschool game in the first place, LOL. You can't give your kids the best education you possibly can without a LITTLE bit of work, right? I'll just glob the prep time into my Phonics Road video watching time...

Seems like I have managed to decide on all the teacher intensive programs, LOL. Phonics Road, Rightstart, BFSU. But if Phonics Road and BFSU reward us like Rightstart has it will all be worth it![/quote']

:iagree:

This has definitely been a great thread! I just purchased the book today on Amazon for just over $13.00. I figured at that price if we didn't like it we weren't out much.

Well' date=' I am sold. I purchased BFSU last night on Amazon- on sale for 22.00 BTW. Thanks so much for all the helpful info. This is the best thread I've seen in a long time. Glad someone pulled it back up.

Seems like I have managed to decide on all the teacher intensive programs, LOL. Phonics Road, Rightstart, BFSU. But if Phonics Road and BFSU reward us like Rightstart has it will all be worth it![/quote']

Rightstart is NOTHING like BFSU. Rightstart is brilliant and methodical and easy to implement whereas BFSU is... not.

I wanted to love BFSU, and I still have it because it has some good ideas about teaching science but I just found it to be frustrating as our main science curriculum.

I started off well with with BFSU, the first lessons (on matter) were excellent and the kids loved it! It turns out those were the best lessons in the book... as we went further in, the kids became bored and I got tired of trying to figure out where to go next. I kept putting science off, not because doing the lesson was teacher intensive, but because it just became to much planning ahead without a huge reward and I was afraid it was turning my kids, who love science, into kids who dread it.

I switched to Elemental Science and science gets done every single day. It's clear, it's easy to implement, it follows the WTM science suggestions and it's inexpensive. Sometimes we choose to go deeper into a topic and sometimes I open up BFSU and use some of Nebel's ideas but the fact is that science gets done here because of ES.

Edited by Jumping In Puddles

My only question (if anyone can chime in) is how to deal with having a first grader and a fourth grader. I would love to combine them to some extent. Is that going to be possible?

I am using it with my 1st grader and 3rd grader, and it is going really well with both of them. Well, my 1st grader hates notebooking so he isn't doing that aspect. If I wanted, I could add add'l reading for my 3rd grader.

I may not be the best model, but I haven't found the planning to be intensive with BFSU. I set up my grid at the beginning of the year, and now I just read through the lesson before we go over it. I prep the same way for my RightStart lessons - it's more on-the-fly than deliberate.

We still do our CM science - nature study and lots of living books. I think BFSU compliments our CM stuff really, really well. I will admit that we don't do any mom-led experiments. My kids are do tons of science-type things, but only encouraged rather than led by me.

I don't want a science "curriculum" for the early years. I don't want them to think science is a box to check off or comparmentalized into science time. BFSU and CM nature study work well for my wants.

Edited by 2squared

Good catch on the Yahoo group. Definitely take a look there and use the files that folks have posted there. They are all excellent resources. There is also an example of the sequence to do the lessons if you choose to follow the flow that is suggested by the author. There's also a complete supply list.

Ask questions there and you will get great responses from other memebers and Dr. Nebel.

Those files are great! Thanks for the tip on the group. I love the file that has all the required materials listed, and the one with the kindergarten sequence.

Bummer! The price went down 10 dollars since yesterday!!! Wish I'd waited and bought this morning!

Couldn't you cancel the order you placed, if there's still time, and reorder :)?

Does BFSU use any "spines" or it it the spine, and then there are suggested books for additional reading that only get read once?

The BFSU book is the program. As I mentioned before and since everything is based on observation with guidance from the home-teacher you do not need any additional books. You do not even need the books for correlated reading but they are a great add-on and Adrian loves reading them on his own. I have not purchased any additional books. We just get the books Mr. Nebel suggests from the library, if we can find them, or I try to find something similar. I usually put them on hold two to three weeks prior to ensure we have them on hand. Usually I just add about three books (they are simple, easy to read books), although this week I only ended up finding one, and last week I started adding some Bill Nye DVD's (also from the library) or you could get some of the clips online.

Amazon has preview pages for the intro material on how to use the program and the flow chart, which is really helpful, and you could get a complete sample lesson from here. Hope it helps you determine whether the program is for your family or not. Like I said from the start and just like every other program, it is not for everyone :).

Seems like I have managed to decide on all the teacher intensive programs' date=' LOL. Phonics Road, Rightstart, BFSU. But if Phonics Road and BFSU reward us like Rightstart has it will all be worth it![/quote']

You're not the only one ;). At least we will be starting PR next year :) since this year we have TOG and BFSU and lots of other teacher-mommy intensive programs.

Guest Dulcimeramy
The BFSU book is the program. As I mentioned before and since everything is based on observation with guidance from the home-teacher you do not need any additional books. You do not even need the books for correlated reading but they are a great add-on and Adrian loves reading them on his own. I have not purchased any additional books. We just get the books Mr. Nebel suggests from the library, if we can find them, or I try to find something similar. I usually put them on hold two to three weeks prior to ensure we have them on hand. Usually I just add about three books (they are simple, easy to read books), although this week I only ended up finding one, and last week I started adding some Bill Nye DVD's (also from the library) or you could get some of the clips online.

Amazon has preview pages for the intro material on how to use the program and the flow chart, which is really helpful, and you could get a complete sample lesson from here. Hope it helps you determine whether the program is for your family or not. Like I said from the start and just like every other program, it is not for everyone :).

I bought it! At $13 it seemed a good time to investigate.

I own all of the Apologia elementary books and most of the Sonlight science books for elementary. I'm hoping I can use those along with BFSU, following his sequence and objectives but using some of my familiar activities and materials.

You're not the only one ;). At least we will be starting PR next year :) since this year we have TOG and BFSU and lots of other teacher-mommy intensive programs.

Just as a side-note:

We are about halfway through Phonics Road 1 and I haven't found it to be teacher-intensive. The ONLY prep-work is to watch the dvd which is... maybe 20 min. per week? Once you've done that (and it doesn't involve actual thinking and planning, just a few notes on paper), it's completely open and go. Believe me, I do NOT have the time or energy for planning :001_smile:

I bought it! At $13 it seemed a good time to investigate.

I own all of the Apologia elementary books and most of the Sonlight science books for elementary. I'm hoping I can use those along with BFSU, following his sequence and objectives but using some of my familiar activities and materials.

I only have Apologia Zoology 1 (for now), which we will be using after we finish RS4K while we continue with BFSU and from SL I only have the P4/5 and K science books (the older K, before it was revamped). I have other science books, experiment books and some encyclopedias but have not used those yet with BFSU. Adrian is enjoying the hands on aspect of BFSU so for now I am not messing with that and I don't really have the time this year anyway. Next year though and since we will have already gone through the program once, I can build on it by adding stuff from what we have. I am looking at getting Zoology 2 to add to our first one. I am looking at getting all the Apologia elementary books eventually also. Great idea on using other materials we have to enhance :)!

Just as a side-note:

We are about halfway through Phonics Road 1 and I haven't found it to be teacher-intensive. The ONLY prep-work is to watch the dvd which is... maybe 20 min. per week? Once you've done that (and it doesn't involve actual thinking and planning, just a few notes on paper), it's completely open and go. Believe me, I do NOT have the time or energy for planning :001_smile:

Thank you for posting this Sarah. I watched the sample videos and being a visual person they were very enjoyable and interesting (I am looking at filling personal gaps also ;)) so putting in the time there will be no problem. Glad to hear that there isn't much planning. Since we will be dropping Horizons Phonics I will have that prep time to spare also :).

I own Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding K-2 and as I was scheduling it last night, I was wondering if it was too meaty and over ds' head. It doesn't dumb down, presents lots of advanced concepts.. all geared towards his age range. We'll see, but I think BFSU is probably an exception to the rule. I struggle to comprehend some of the concepts too, but I have no science background in college. When I do, both he and I have learned something valuable, though, and I appreciate challenging and stretching myself.

Last year in K we grappled with a lot of meaty subjects (for his age level) and although it took some explaining and the recommended extra books, he seemed to understand and is getting a picture of what science is all about, which is what I hope to achieve at this age.

I really like this program.

I am looking foward to using his second level (now out) in the fall. We tried the first level earlier this year, and I abandoned it as being too hard to schedule. However, I have had second thoughts about that, and se we're going through the threads in book one that are "prerequisites" for book two. I think this is a really comprehensive program, and I would highly recommend it!

Just as a side-note:

Maybe it just feels harder to me since this is my first time teaching a child to read. Actually, it's my first time homeschooling at all so I think anything more than a guided workbook is a bit scary for me right now, LOL. But I'm not letting that stop me. The first mile is always the hardest, right? I've got a goal and I'm going to reach it. :D

Sorry that was completely off topic but I wanted to respond and make sure no one thought I was knocking the program. I like the program and I can already see how well it's going to work out in the long run, otherwise I wouldn't do it.

Question for those familiar w/ BFSU: I looked at the linked sample (lesson B-3) and it has a list of prerequisites, including "C" lessons. Is there any way to know what order to do the lessons in? Are they not in the order intended to present them?

Also, I'm interested in hearing about experiences w/ running through the 1st BFSU book quickly w/ older children. Did you skim, skip, or simply find that they retain/understand it better since they're older?

Question for those familiar w/ BFSU: I looked at the linked sample (lesson B-3) and it has a list of prerequisites, including "C" lessons. Is there any way to know what order to do the lessons in? Are they not in the order intended to present them?

The order is flexible. The Yahoo group has some suggestions from other homeschooling parents, or at least, a list of the order they used.

You are not, however, supposed to do all the A lessons, then all the B lessons, then the Cs, and the Ds. I liked the way that A and B work together, but I felt D especially was a bit of a lone wolf. I am sort of a BFSU dropout, however, in terms of never quite getting there but still hoping to get back to it.

You are not, however, supposed to do all the A lessons, then all the B lessons, then the Cs, and the Ds.

OK, now I am confused :confused:! So what do Dr. Nebel's comments below mean (quoting the book):

"DO NOT treat this volume as a smorgasboard for random selections"

"Threads A, B, C, and D are to be conducted in tandem" and

"The steppingstone sequence of lessons noted above is actually four pathways to be pursued more or less in tandem"

Am I missing something here?

We love BFSU too. Here's how I set it up:

*Cut off the spine

*Hole punched and stapled together each lesson (A-1, A-2, etc)

*Put them in a 3 Ring binder in the order I plan to teach the lessons

*Made a grid listing materials needed, activities, add'l resources, and requisite lessons for each individual lesson. I use this grid to know at-a-

glance what resources I need to gather for each lesson.

I find BFSU easy to teach and easy to reinforce/review through daily living.

Would you be willing to share your grid? That looks so helpful!

megan.welfare@gmail.com

OK, now I am confused :confused:! So what do Dr. Nebel's comments below mean (quoting the book):

"DO NOT treat this volume as a smorgasboard for random selections"

"Threads A, B, C, and D are to be conducted in tandem" and

"The steppingstone sequence of lessons noted above is actually four pathways to be pursued more or less in tandem"

Am I missing something here?

You do A, B, C, and D at the same time. The poster you quoted was saying you're not supposed to do all of A, then move on to all of B, then move on to all of C, then move on to all of D. You're supposed to do them in tandem - at the same time. So a little bit of A, then a little bit of B, etc. It's not random. You follow the flow chart - some things are supposed to be done before others. But it's not a serial A, then B, then C, then D, nor is it randomly picking from any of the threads. You wouldn't do A-8 if you haven't done whatever the prerequisites are.

You do A, B, C, and D at the same time. The poster you quoted was saying you're not supposed to do all of A, then move on to all of B, then move on to all of C, then move on to all of D. You're supposed to do them in tandem - at the same time. So a little bit of A, then a little bit of B, etc. It's not random. You follow the flow chart - some things are supposed to be done before others. But it's not a serial A, then B, then C, then D, nor is it randomly picking from any of the threads. You wouldn't do A-8 if you haven't done whatever the prerequisites are.

Still don't get it! The prerequisites as you are calling them are called connections in the book. The word connections and what I read in the intro did not indicate to me that I have to be going back and forth between threads. My understanding for example and the way I am following it currently is, we are going through thread A (in order) and when we get to the connections as we get to those threads I will connect back to what we have done for that lesson in thread A. I am not jumping from thread A into a thread we haven't started yet. That makes no sense to me. I think I will be contacting Dr. Nebel on this.

You do, say, the first two lessons in A, then a lesson in B, then a lesson in C, then a lesson from A, then a lesson from B, and so on. You are supposed to weave the threads together, so to speak. There is a flowchart in the book and some parents have put their orders on the Yahoo group.

Look at the flowchart on p. 12/13. This is a suggested sequence. <-- ETA: Never mind, it doesn't exactly show how to combine the threads.

The point of this is to show that the sciences are integrated, not distinct, discrete sequences.

You do, say, the first two lessons in A, then a lesson in B, then a lesson in C, then a lesson from A, then a lesson from B, and so on. You are supposed to weave the threads together, so to speak. There is a flowchart in the book and some parents have put their orders on the Yahoo group.

Look at the flowchart on p. 12/13. This is a suggested sequence. <-- ETA: Never mind, it doesn't exactly show how to combine the threads.

The point of this is to show that the sciences are integrated, not distinct, discrete sequences.

Actually I am keeping an eye on the flow chart but it just doesn't make sense to me to jump from A-9 for example to B9 when I can do that as we get to B-9 and then refer back to A-9 since we have already covered it and it will be review. I can make the connections then. This was how I understood it from the beginning.

Still don't get it! The prerequisites as you are calling them are called connections in the book. The word connections and what I read in the intro did not indicate to me that I have to be going back and forth between threads.

You quoted Nebel yourself:

"Threads A, B, C, and D are to be conducted in tandem"

"in tandem" means you're doing them at the same time. What you are doing sounds fine to me, but it's not what Nebel intends, as he says above that they're meant to be done "in tandem".

The yahoogroup has schedules posted by users where they've shown what order they did the lessons in, and Nebel seems to approve of that method, as it appears to be what he intended. That doesn't mean that the way you're doing it is wrong and horrible and you must change though. ;)

"in tandem" means you're doing them at the same time. What you are doing sounds fine to me, but it's not what Nebel intends, as he says above that they're meant to be done "in tandem".

The yahoogroup has schedules posted by users where they've shown what order they did the lessons in, and Nebel seems to approve of that method, as it appears to be what he intended. That doesn't mean that the way you're doing it is wrong and horrible and you must change though. ;)

:iagree: Have you looked at any of the lesson plans on the yahoo group? Where others post their order of lessons? After looking at these and then looking through the lessons themselves it will make more sense to you. There's also a couple of threads on here about it. This helped me sort of make sense of the whole thing, and now that I understand....it is genius. Really. Exploring all of the sciences in tandem is a great way to make sense of it all in the younger years...they love to see how things are all connected...iykwim. I wish I would have learned things this way instead of one year...biology....next year....chemistry....next year....biology 2...and never connecting the dots.

Hope that makes sense. I know it is sort of confusing, we are taught to just go page by page in a book, but it is actually fun once you get the hang of it. And there are many many paths you can take.

Reminds me of those fun, "you choose your own story" chapter books I read as a child. :lol:

:lol: I sound so serious sometimes! Sorry! I know what I am doing is not horrible and I know that others have made lesson plans. I have noticed it the few times that I visited the Yahoo Group. If I had gone about my way and had not posted how I do things it would not be an issue to me at all. However I did and I don't want to mislead anyone with my approach if it is not what Dr. Nebel intended. Deleting the text from my posts would be nonsensical since there's a follow up discussion :lol:. Anyway, when I get the chance I will go into the Yahoo group and clarify this with Dr. Nebel and see if my approach is fine with him so that I can post a follow up. Yah, I am OC that way :lol:.

I am comfortable with the way we are doing things and with doing things my own way :D and we will at some point be doing them together since I will be referring back to tie in with those topics that have connections. As for next year, when we repeat the program, I will see how I will do things. Thank you for bearing with me.

Edited by Guest

Marie, how much prep time is required for each lesson? I couldn't tell much from the sample.

Honestly, for me it's almost open & go, once I read the intro chapters. I look over the next handful of lessons & get some books/DVDs that relate, and then open & go since we so far have all the materials on hand or can fudge it. Really involved lessons are split into two days.

Yup! I'm going from Matter through Magnets on Thread A (where a rabbit trail conveniently ends) and then going back to Thread B & working with Biology for a couple of lessons, etc. I'm just following the flow that seems natural to *me* that works within the framework.

:iagree: Have you looked at any of the lesson plans on the yahoo group? Where others post their order of lessons? After looking at these and then looking through the lessons themselves it will make more sense to you. There's also a couple of threads on here about it. This helped me sort of make sense of the whole thing, and now that I understand....it is genius. Really. Exploring all of the sciences in tandem is a great way to make sense of it all in the younger years...they love to see how things are all connected...iykwim. I wish I would have learned things this way instead of one year...biology....next year....chemistry....next year....biology 2...and never connecting the dots.

Hope that makes sense. I know it is sort of confusing, we are taught to just go page by page in a book, but it is actually fun once you get the hang of it. And there are many many paths you can take.

Reminds me of those fun, "you choose your own story" chapter books I read as a child. :lol:

OK just to clarify that I am a mastery person :tongue_smilie: but I usually throw in spiral programs to expand my way of thinking and challenge my limits. My experiments have not always been successful but I have had great success using together Horizons Math and Singapore Math for example.

The way I saw it was the areas of science are essentially being studied in a year but going back and forth before covering a particular area would be too much for me. It was one of the main reasons why I did not bother with other people's schedules. After a few lessons of doing this, I would be like this :banghead:. There's only so much challenging my limits I can take :lol:.

Oh just to add here that I finished high school in Greece, and Biology, Chemistry and Physics were often taught at the same time during the same year. Especially Chemistry and Physics. They were taught by different teachers though that had specialized in that field. Connections were often made in the specific books much like how I intend to make the connections with my son :D.

I don't agree with the broader speculation, that homeschool science curricula is dumbed down. As another poster mentioned, I presumably sat through science in grades 1-7 but can't remember a single thing. Convincing kids that science is boring and just one more hoop to jump through is the real 'dumbing down'.

To compare with our local schools, before we began homeschooling, I seem to recall my son's ps science classes were held once a week - barring field trips, special assemblies, pro-d days, stat holidays, rehearsals for the Christmas play and the Appreciation Tea. I'm sure RS4K would have taken them a whole semester. :)

The homeschooling science curricula we've used so far has met our goals. If parents have a child with a strong interest in science and the family is serious about this field, excellent! Homeschooling is not one-size-fits-all; one of its strongest benefits is that a family can play to their strengths and interests. In that case, more curricula will probably be used, whether purchased or designed, than average.

My .02.

:iagree:

After reading the article reported by the New York Times last week, I've very confident with the science curriculum I've used with my gradutated children and those that are still at home.:)

Few Students Show Proficiency in Science, Tests Show ( according to the 2009 National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP) report--known as the Nation's Report Card)

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/26/education/26test.html

A quote from the article:

"To be considered proficient in science, fourth-grade students should be able to recognize that gravitational force constantly affects an object, eighth-grade students should be able to relate characteristics of air masses to global regions, and high school seniors should be able to evaluate two methods for helping to control an invasive species, the government said."

In BFSU lesson A/B1 covers Organization and categories, the next suggested lesson in A2-Solids, Liquids, Gas and B2- Living, Natural Non-Living and Human-Made Things. A2 and B2 discuss these topics as categories so they build upon the A/B1 concept.

I believe doing all of A then B, C, D will work OK as long as it is done in sequential order 1- 10. The only issue I can see in doing it that way, is when the ‘Required Background’ items is from one of the other threads. For example A5A requires A5-Distinguishing Materials and D3A-North, East, south and West. So it may be necessary to cover D3A prior to doing A5A, unless the child already understands this concept.

The statement “DO NOT treat this volume as a smorgasbord for random selections†means that each lesson should be done in order. For example one should not jump into straight into C5-Inertia before the other lessons C1-4 are covered because they are essential in learning and teaching Inertia.

Each lesson builds upon the other, like laying a foundation.:001_smile:

In BFSU lesson A/B1 covers Organization and categories, the next suggested lesson in A2-Solids, Liquids, Gas and B2- Living, Natural Non-Living and Human-Made Things. A2 and B2 discuss these topics as categories so they build upon the A/B1 concept.

I believe doing all of A then B, C, D will work OK as long as it is done in sequential order 1- 10. The only issue I can see in doing it that way, is when the ‘Required Background’ items is from one of the other threads. For example A5A requires A5-Distinguishing Materials and D3A-North, East, south and West. So it may be necessary to cover D3A prior to doing A5A, unless the child already understands this concept.

The statement “DO NOT treat this volume as a smorgasbord for random selections” means that each lesson should be done in order. For example one should not jump into straight into C5-Inertia before the other lessons C1-4 are covered because they are essential in learning and teaching Inertia.

I agree. So far we have been covering A in order, of course. If I can't handle jumping around threads, I definitely can't handle jumping around within the same thread and I definitely was clear on that from the start. We did cover A5A after A5. Everything else we will come back to the connections when we get to them. As for EWNS I had no problem there. My kiddo understood how that works since he was about 5. It was one of the benefits of using SL and mapping out the countries we were reading about ;).

The statement “DO NOT treat this volume as a smorgasbord for random selections†means that each lesson should be done in order. For example one should not jump into straight into C5-Inertia before the other lessons C1-4 are covered because they are essential in learning and teaching Inertia.

OooooooooK, now I'm getting scared, lol. This sounds way complicated. :blink:

OooooooooK, now I'm getting scared, lol. This sounds way complicated. :blink:

Yeah, I'm planning to write the lessons in the order they should be done when the book shows up and then just start. Unless someone has already taken that loopy flowchart and made a nice, linear progression???? :D

This is why we keep recommending the Yahoo group. Please join it and go to the files section. There are three files with different people's sequences of study (maybe more, but that's what I see). There is one from Suji which is probably the clearest.

I like that it's about weaving threads together. That seems much more authentic in terms of what science is. There's really nothing to be scared about.

I am surprised that this thread has become so much about only the BFSU sequence of lessons.

Is it the only meaty science curriculum? (Good thing I have it!)

This is why we keep recommending the Yahoo group. Please join it and go to the files section. There are three files with different people's sequences of study (maybe more, but that's what I see). There is one from Suji which is probably the clearest.

FYI - impossible to join right now if you want to use google or facebook - server issue

I did contact Dr. Nebel and he responded giving me permission to post his reply on his behalf :). I hope this helps. I think I will take a week and look over what course of action I will take. Dr. Nebel's points made a lot of sense to me. I need to rethink my strategy. Anyway, I wanted to make sure I posted this in the hopes that it will clarify things for others also.

"The sequence to follow in “Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding†causes a problems for a lot of people. I know that to our adult minds and habits, it makes the most sense to start one thing, finish it, then start the next, and so on. To jump back and forth seems unreasonable, but it is not as unreasonable as it seems. In fact, in school we all carried several courses of study at the same time, in tandem if you will: English, math, science, social studies, and probably music and/or other extra curricular activities. The reason is obvious; each subject has its beginning-level material and advances logically and systematically toward higher levels.

I think you will agree that it would be ridiculous to, for example, focus on only English, take kids to a grade two level in that, then back up, start over with the k-level of math, and so on.

What I am recommending is that you treat the threads as separate courses, so to speak. I deem the number one lesson in each thread as k-level material and the high number lessons in each thread as grade-2 material (for this volume). This does not mean that you should address a lesson in each thread each week. Please allow yourself the flexibility of switching among threads as interests and opportunities prevail. For example, nice weather is the perfect time to get out, enjoy nature, and pursue lessons in the B-thread. When weather is inclement, turn to one of the other threads, and then come back.

I think that as you actually start doing the switching back and forth, you will find it much easier that it sounds. It will also provide more interest, fun and enjoyment for both you and your kids. Sticking with the same topic lesson after lesson can get dull and boring, especially if kids are not particularly interested in that topic.

Also, dropping a topic for a week or two and then coming back to it actually enhances the learning process as it forces recall and rethinking of what has gone before, and this solidifies learning. Note that I said “for a week or so.†If you drop a topic for six months or more without periodic reviews or applications, it will more than likely be totally gone from kids minds. The idea that kids will have it in their minds because you “covered it back when†is a concept that continually frustrates teachers, because it is simply not true. Learning is accomplished best where there is a dropping and coming back, again and again.

Finally, as you switch back and forth among the threads, you will find that your kids do begin to exercise recall and, on their own, add new insights, and make connections between one thing and another. This becomes most exciting to you as a teacher and to them as learners.

As a home schooler, however, you are certainly free to do things in any way that works for you. What I say is only my recommendation based on my experience and background.

I hope this helps. Please contact me with additional questions. In considering or following my BFSU curriculum, all are welcome to join my support group ( groups.yahoo.com/group/K5science).

Good luck,

Bernie Nebel"

See then that sequence works perfect. I'm actually thinking of doing it that way this time through since DS4 already has a lot of the background as well!

Only now I am rethinking my approach :lol:.