Menu

Handwriting Without Tears...

diaperjoys

I have the TM for first grade and no, I don't find it necessary. If this is his first time doing a handwriting program, the TM's do give a few good tips about posture and grip, but other than that I don't use it.

The first grade book is a quick review of the K book. You'll write each capital letter about 3 or 4 times, then it goes into lower case letters. It gives you 6 different lower-case letters to write 5 times each. Then it goes into a pattern where you'll write a new lower-case letter 5 times and the next page is a list of ten words to write once each. It goes in that pattern through the rest of the book, occasionally reviewing more common upper and lower-case letters with a few short sentences to copy. It just depends on how much writing you want your son to do. I would get a pack of extra paper just in case you don't feel it is enough. The wide double line paper matches what you will be practicing on in the first grade book.

HTH

The TM is NOT necessary.

I would get extra paper. We make a LOT of copies because we didn't get paper. We will be remedying that!

:iagree:

I found the TM's to be unnecessary. My kids do like the lined paper though for extra practice. We've now transistioned to using mostly regular filler paper so we don't use as much HWT paper but in the beginning my dd loved it for copying letters she'd dictate to me for Grandma and others.