Menu

wheat and dairy free diets

Rice.

There are *many* gluten-free pastas available, and they are just fine.

Rice milk or soy milk.

What does he like for breakfast? There are several gluten-free cold cereals available. I like to eat hot cereal, so I eat grits or a rice hot cereal, or buckwheat. Van's makes good gluten-free waffles (but I cannot remember if they are dairy-free as well). Rice, or soy, or almond milk with the cereal. Eggs without cheese (or butter).

Lunches: You can find good hot dogs that are safe. I eat those, or a sandwich wrap with a brown rice tortilla. There are a couple of Thai food ready to eat lunches that are gluten and dairy free - look in your ethnic food aisle, if he would like that kind of thing. Vegetable soup. Chicken soup with rice.

Right now I'm cooking up a big batch of browned ground turkey, with a bag of frozen veggies, chicken broth, and corn/quinoa noodles for our dinner. Salt, pepper, spices, and my kids inhale this stuff.

Google "GFCF diet" for lots and lots of ideas.

Once you get into the right mindset, it is really not as hard as it seems from the outside :)

I couldn't find much online for ideas, today I wandered through my Walmart, desperate, my DS is only barely 2!

I thought of popcorn, grits (for breakfast), corn tortillas to make soft tacos. Rice cakes, rice crispies, rice milk. We don't live close to a health food store, but I'm sure they'd have more. I bought some ham and sausage for breakfasts, I think between those, eggs, grits, and fruit, we should be able to figure out a bunch of breakfasts. Oh! Hash browns too. I read Heinz ketchup is gluten free.

Chili, you might have to make it yourself though. I read Bush's baked beans are ok. So you could do chili and a baked potato (buy margarine, not butter). Or hot dogs and baked beans. I bought a few varieties of rice to see if we love one more than another. Stir fry, porcupine meatballs with tomato sauce not soup.

I'm sure you'll come up with more. My 2 year old is hanging on me and screaming.

fiddledeedee

I'll just make a list of things that may interest you:

Earth Balance whipped "butter" (also comes in sticks -- don't confuse with other brands - this is the best)

Corn tortillas (Mama Lynx, I'd love to know about your brown rice tortillas!!!)

Potatoes

Rice in various types (brown, long grain, basmati, jasmine, wild)

Other grains/legumes as you feel able: barley, quinoa, lentils, split peas

Almond, soy, or rice milk

Silken tofu (for smoothies -- mix in a food processor or blender w/ frozen fruit and some fresh banana)

Grits

Gluten Free mixes from Bob's Red Mill (pancake, hot cereal, others)

Sandwich meats

All beef hot dogs

Vegetables

Eggs

Rice cakes & chips/potato chips/corn chips/popcorn

Soups

Sherbet/sorbet (read carefully -- some contain dairy, though they really shouldn't to be true sorbet)

Fruit popsicles (Dole, others)

Tinkyada rice pastas are our favorite

Thaiki rice noodle "ramen" soups

All meats

All Vegetables

All fruits

HTH,

Doran

Breakfast:

Both of my kids usually eat Food for Life Brown Rice Bread (this is the company that makes Ezekiel bread -- I buy fresh at Trader Joe's or in the frozen healthfood section at Kroger -- the same company makes rice tortillas). Mine can have dairy now, so they have butter, but nut or seed butters (we use sunflower butter because nuts and peanuts are off limits) or jam are also options they go for a lot.

There are a number of rice and corn-based cereals you can use -- just skip the regular cereals and go straight for the health food cereals and read the labels carefully. Serve dry or with rice milk or apple juice (I used to love this on corn flakes!)...

Grits, cream of rice cereals, quinoa flake hot cereal...

Ds is seriously allergic to eggs, so we never have those around, but obviously that's a good choice for many people. When he couldn't have dairy, we did a lot of "natural" breakfast sausages and bacon.

If you have a Trader Joe's around, they now have frozen gluten free / dairy free pancakes that I hear are just fantastic (but they have eggs, so we haven't had 'em).

Lunch and Dinner:

meat and potatoes (roast chicken and rosemary roast potatoes; homemade meatloaf [use cornflakes instead of bread crumbs] with mashed potatoes; natural [read labels!] hot dogs with homemade baked french fries)

rice and beans (Cuban black beans; Indian lentils; Cajun red beans, etc)

stir fried meat and veggies with rice

carrots and other raw veggies and hummus

chili and corn bread (make your own from scratch -- the mixes will have wheat)

soup (vegetable soups; minestrone with no pasta; homemade chicken and rice)

rice pasta with sauce

brown rice bread with sunflower butter and jam

Ask at every grocery store where you go regularly whether they have a brochure on gluten or dairy-free foods. Many grocery stores now have specific items they carry listed out for customers. These can be very helpful as you try to transition.

It gets much easier. Unfortunately, 10 days isn't really long enough to get into a pattern, but *if* you have to stick with it, it *will* get easier.

:eek:My ds has to go on an elimination diet for the next 10 days. No wheat or dairy. What on earth do I feed this already picky eater who loves his carbs and dairy?

Suggestions for lunches and breakfasts would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

melissa

as regular milk. I don't know how severely you need to cut gluten, but my b-i-l, whose extremely allergic to it, can't even have grain based vinegars.

If you have a Trader Joes nearby, they have lists of gluten free and dairy free products. I'm sure other health food stores have similar lists to make shopping easier. I'd still double check the label though.

You want to avoid soy milk because in large quantities it will have the same affect as regular milk....

I'm really not sure what you mean by that. People who have allergies to dairy have a higher rate of soy allergies than the population at large. Is that what you mean? Without knowing *why* the OP is avoiding gluten and dairy though, I don't know why soy would "have the same effect" as dairy.