Menu

Math U See Help

denisela

I have a 2nd and 5th grader, it's our first year to HS, and I was looking at Math U See. Right now we are just doing some simple workbooks that I got to kind of see where they are. Now I don't know which level to buy! I was going to get the fraction year for my 5th grader, but found he is really having a hard time with times tables and division, and my 2nd grader is doing great with addition and subtraction, smaller numbers, so I'm wondering if I should start her with Alpha anyway, just to get a good foundation, and should I get the gamma, I think that's the one, that is mainly multiplication, for my son? I'm so confused and don't know where to start, but we need to get math going SOON!!

Thanks,

Denise

Did you have them take the placement test on the website? Alpha covers single digit addition and subtraction as well as place value and other stuff. The place value is the important part of the program since a lot of it hinges on it. Beta moves on to multiple digit adding and subtracting. Gamma covers multiplication and Delta division. Epsilon, the fractions one, depends heavily on a strong knowledge of multiplication facts. My ds 13 is finishing Zeta without that strong multiplication base and is having to rely on a sheet of multiplication facts to get him through and is making mistakes like 7x9=56 instead of 54. I would start them with the placement test and see from there.

http://www.mathusee.com/placement.html

Start with the pretest: http://www.mathusee.com/pdfs/pretest.pdf

Then I also gave each of my kids the placement test for the level prior to where they tested just to make sure they had mastered the previous level and were placed correctly. MUS has speedy shipping, ours came a few days after ordering.

:iagree: BTDT with all 3 of my kiddos...

"MUS has speedy shipping, ours came a few days after ordering."

Well, that actually depends on the MUS representative for your area. Ours is Queens Homeschool Supplies, and their shipping time is TERRIBLE. I ordered 8/25 and still haven't received anything. My sister lives in the same town and has always had to wait a long time for MUS orders. She said it once took 3 weeks!

Guest homescool

My son too had a hard time with multiplication. MUS was wonderful for really bringing it into focus for him. Anything he did not understand he just watched the DVD over and over until it made sense. I went back to Delta with him though to make sure he was ready for Gamma - he did great - breezed through Delta. Sounds like you should be fine with Gamma for your son. I agree - you do need a good foundation.

PJ