Menu

I still need Religion and Handwriting

mlgbug

ive tried teaching both on a whim and cant do it. Religion im still learning too, sire i went to chruch growing up, with the religion class, but none of it stuck. and i wasnt as commited to God as i am now...

i was thinking of HOP Bible i saw on ebay but havent seen any good or bad things here and its old....

handwriting, dd doesnt do it write, neither do i. everything is so expensive, nothing i have to sell is selling.....

Thanks for lsitening

I have tried Beginnings for religion while it wasn't a good fit for us (I got the preschool and elementary versions.. Old Testament) it was a nice text with scripted lessons.

For handwriting we tried Handwriting Without Tears and it was a fine program. I ended up buying Write Start which is a computer program that you can print out handwriting sheets in many many (even Handwriting without tears) fonts and it seemed more cost effective. I also got a kindergarten Zaner Blosser continuous stroke handwriting workbook for my 5 yo that I feel is good to.

I taught D'Nelian when I taught grade K in PS and that is also a good program..imho

In my experience, 4 year olds love to memorize verses. You can write memory verses on index cards and let her draw a picture on the other side of the card to go with the verse. Then we drill the verses each day. This has definitely been the favorite part of religion school for my preschoolers. You could also get a nice illustrated children's Bible and go through stories with them each day. My husband also does devotional time with our boys each night from Proverbs, and they enjoy that too.

We use Our Spiritual Heritage for bible study now, but the workbook is mostly for my 7 year old and my 4 year old just sits in. I love it and highly recommend it, but I think it's better suited for at least a beginning reader and writer.

As far as writing goes, she will start writing more with 100 EZ lessons as you go along. That's probably enough for now, while she's focusing on learning to read. We use A Beka's K4 for phonics and handwriting, and start right off the bat with cursive, but I know that's not for everyone. It''s the only A Beka we use, since I haven't found a better cursive program that starts so young. Not sure if that's what you're looking for though. If you mean writing like creative writing, I wouldn't worry about that until reading is well established.

I have tried Beginnings for religion while it wasn't a good fit for us (I got the preschool and elementary versions.. Old Testament) it was a nice text with scripted lessons.

For handwriting we tried Handwriting Without Tears and it was a fine program. I ended up buying Write Start which is a computer program that you can print out handwriting sheets in many many (even Handwriting without tears) fonts and it seemed more cost effective. I also got a kindergarten Zaner Blosser continuous stroke handwriting workbook for my 5 yo that I feel is good to.

I taught D'Nelian when I taught grade K in PS and that is also a good program..imho

We love Start Write too! Once my littles have the hang of cursive (after the K4 and K5 cursive), I switch to Writing with Ease and make my own handwriting sheets with StartWrite. But neither of these teach the mechanics of handwriting, so you'd need something else first.

If you do choose Handwriting Without Tears, don't feel pressured to buy all their stuff! I think the workbooks are necessary, but the rest you can make yourself, or use what you have around the house. The chalkboard slate might be a good investment.

Or, perhaps you can combine programs, some of the stuff we use for reading also cover handwriting.

StartWrite is a good investment. You can find it cheaper on other websites, I ordered ours through DrawWriteNow website for $8 less I think.

If you do choose Handwriting Without Tears, don't feel pressured to buy all their stuff!

:iagree:My daughter was five years old last year and was just learning to form her letters. We went through A Reason for Handwriting K but she was still having a hard time forming her letters. I purchased the Handwriting Without Tears K workbook and she now has beautiful handwriting. I think only the workbooks are necessary especially when on a budget.

Kumon also has handwriting workbooks that are very affordable.

I use http://www.worksheetworks.com (click on the writing section) to make my own handwriting pages for my son. You can write out whatever you want, whatever size you want. It can be one that he traces, or one that he copies. Only cost is for your time and printer ink. What I did was just give a sentence a day, if he was having trouble with some letters, I'd pick 2 letters he had a hard time with and focus on those for further practice.

For religion we are simply reading a children's Bible. Then dd draws a picture and I write down her narration of the story. At the end of the year (or whenever we are done) she'll have her very own homemade Bible.

We are about to start HWT for handwriting. We did buy some of the extras but they are mostly for my younger two to use. Of course I think my K dd will enjoy them too. She's a very hands-on girl.