Menu

SWR or SSWR -anyone want to give an opinion?

FairProspects

Background - We like our reading program, but it is introductory and we will be through it in 6-8 weeks. We are looking for where to go from there, but my head keeps spinning with all the phonics choices. I'd prefer something that does not use word families. DS is likely a visual/kinethestic learner and is definitely a Wiggly Willy (although what 5 y.o. boy isn't?). Worksheets generally don't work for us, writing in sand has been a huge hit. DS can blend/read cvc words and seems ready to take off with reading at some point this year, but writing is hard for him.

SWR - What do you use for readers? Do you have to add those seperately? Are reading/writing tied together or can you somehow move ahead with the reading while slowing down the writing or do it in sand or shaving cream or something other than paper/pencil?

SSRW - downfall is obviously the price. I personally love the idea, but I would need some really convincing evidence from the hive that it is awesome to persuade DH, who is still kind of iffy about this HSling thing.

Thoughts? Opinions?

But I seperate spelling from reading... that sounds silly as I write it. I do require them to read aloud to me. Usually well below their pleasure reading level because I want them to be comfortable reading aloud and I can teach them what proof reading is. One actually reads the words " just like they are written" when one is reading aloud or proof-reading

I just get stuff from our library that is below thier reading level to read to me and we go to the library every week and they stock up on pleasure books.

I'm using and adoring WWE, and FLL.

originally I set aside FLL because it was so repetitive that ds was really fighting it. Now we are back .I love the workbooks, so worth the money to me.

PS, I can't spell worth a flip so spelling is important to me. please don't decide against SWR based on my typing. :-)

Christine in AL