Menu

Telling b and d apart?

Alice

Guest Lorna

One that we used, and is very popular here too, was to write the word 'bed' and draw in a bed faintly. Put the picture of the 'bed' above the child's bed. :D

If they hold up both hands and touch their pointer fingers to their thumbs, you know, like making the okay sign, then they're hands will be in a b and a d position. They just have to remember that b comes first, so that's the left, and d second, so that's the right hand. My dd does this a lot and it helps her because she reverses those letters quite a bit.

They just have to remember that b comes first, so that's the left, and d second, so that's the right hand. My dd does this a lot and it helps her because she reverses those letters quite a bit.

1.When making the "b" and "d" with fingers and touching the 2 circles of fingers together, a bed is formed with extended fingers being the headboard and foot board. One can imagine the word "bed" being spelled with the "e" on the bed (top of 2 ringed fingers) and the "b: is first sound and finger in the word bed and "d" is last.

2.If the child understands alphabetical order and linear order, she will remember that "b" is first in the alphabet and is also the first letter made (by the left hand).

3.If the child wears a numerical, non-digital, watch, he can look at the 6 at the bottom to match with the "b".

HTH's, Janet

3.If the child wears a numerical, non-digital, watch, he can look at the 6 at the bottom to match with the "b".

HTH's, Janet

Thanks Janet! Although I'll leave this part out. He does have a watch he wears sometimes but it's on his right hand! That would just confuse things even more. :)