Menu

What to read after "Little House" series?

My 9 year old daughter has read the entire "Little House" series (a hundred times??), including the Martha/Rose/Charlotte/Caroline series. She absolutely LOVES the books.

What could I recommend to her next? Thank you!

Indian Paint by Glen Balch. Something like Island of the Blue Dolphins, but a young man left to over-winter alone. Especially good for the horsy child.

Anne of Green Gables? Betsy-Tacy books?

I just finished reading Anne of Green Gables (for fun) and LOVED it, but I don't know about that one for a 9 year old. Nothing wrong with it, just that as the story progress, Anne matures considerably past the level of most 9 year olds. Betsy-Tacy books are sweet and "younger." HTH.

I agree with the Borrower series, or even Redwall series...my girls are now 11 and 10...I would hold off on Anne of Green Gables until she was 11 or 12....they will identify with the character more (romance and all with the boy!) :)

Other series my girls have loved!!

Redwall by Brian Jacques (17 books in this series and my girls loved the cookbook...the blackberry/apple almond flour crust is AWESOME!!)

Dragonspell series (It's faith based)Donita K. Paul

Oracles of time...Bryan Davis and the other Dragon series he has..

Mandie series (my 11 year old LOVES these..she's read the first 25 it's historically around the same time as LHOP)

the Ragweed/Poppy series

Enjoy!

Tara

Have you read any of the American Girl series? They are fun, an appropriate age match, and are historic fiction. My dd has enjoyed most of the books in that series.

Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farms is one I loved as a little girl. The Secret Garden is another. I also loved Anne of Green Gables, but only knew about the first book as a little girl. ;)