Menu

What would cause a cat to suddenly go blind? Is it reversable?

My dear Kitty -- 17yo now -- seems to have suddenly gone almost completely blind. What could cause this? Is it reversable?

We've noticed over the past year or so that he doesn't seem to see quite as well as when he was younger, but he IS 17yo! This past week, though, we started noticing that he's tripping over things and he can't seem to see things unless they are really close to him.

Just a few minutes ago, I offered him a treat (which he LOVES), and he could smell it, but obviously couldn't see it: I held the treat in my hand, right in front of him, then moved it slowly up & down and side to side, just to see if he would follow it. He followed it *some*, but I think that was because he could *smell* it, not because he could *see* it. I stopped moving my hand about 18 inches from his face, and he made no effort to get the treat, which was in plain view, IF he was able to see it at all. He's ALWAYS eager for treats, so I know it's not that he just wasn't interested.

Just last week, his vision seemed normal. He's had no injuries, his appetite is normal, he still purrs almost constantly, and his eyes aren't cloudy. Can anyone tell me what is going on with him???

Edited by ereks mom