Menu

Working from home: considering tutoring again, but have worries...

I feel silly posting this, but as usual, there are so many great opinions and practical helps here...

I'm a classically-minded, WTM style homeschooler of ds in 4th grade and dd in 1st grade. Going into logic stage next year, and I'm pretty sure of most of our choices for next year...I know I can learn what I need to know for the next few years, but know it will take time, effort, and preparation from me.

Anyway, a few years ago when dc were 3 and 5, and until they were 5 and 7, I tutored in the early evenings for other kids who needed help in reading and spelling. I learned a lot then, enjoyed it, and enjoyed the good hourly wage I could ask for. The parents were happy with what I did for their kids. I quit after two years, because my kids were starting to misbehave while I tutored, and it wasn't fair to the students. Dh was not home during my tutoring time, so my kids would play quietly in the living room while I tutored in the kitchen, or they would go to their rooms to play. It was for one or two hours a day, 4 days a week.

Fast forward....I have been contemplating for months now about taking up tutoring again. My kids are two years older now, and though we have our rough moments, I am thinking they might be able to handle it better now if I tutored an hour or two a day (when my kids are done schoolwork, or they can do some things like mapwork/crafts/picture study on their own if I lay down specific guidelines). I REALLY would like to have the extra money to save up for a future vehicle when ours goes kaput completely, or to go to the pool every so often without being worried about saving pennies, or buy the stuff we are going to need in the next few years for homeschooling, or take our family on an extended trip somewhere (Europe? Asia? the Southern U.S. again?) or have money there for when dh's work isn't producing in the down times. We're very frugal people, BTW, so we know what we're doing when it comes to handling finances. I just want some cushion for those other things.

But I'm worried about taking this up, and then possibly having to quit again in a year or two. What has your experience been, with logic stage? And with working from home while homeschooling?

Has anyone been able to make working from home while homeschooling classically? Esp. with maintaining time for studying ahead of your kids? Keeping time for the little things like paperwork, etc.? Time with dh? Time for fun? Time for just me?

I already have a plan in place to keep the kids occupied while I tutor - finish schoolwork that they don't need me for, read, craft, shower, picture study, history map, etc.. I've also talked with them about this, the older wants me to tutor so we can have money to do some more fun things, the younger is reluctant, simply because she wants me. :) We do have lots of Mommy time, however.

But I'm afraid to take the plunge again - I don't want to have to quit on the parents again and disappoint them. I think I also can charge more money this time, too, which is a huge bonus. :)

Any encouragement? Discouragement? Practical ideas? BTDT?

Does it have to be so much all at once? I would consider tutoring only one day a week at first. Then you and your dc can work out any problems. And you will see if even that much starts to overextend you. It's always easier to add on days than to take them away.

Well, no, it doesn't. And I agree that it's easier to add days than to subtract them. :) It's just that, when I decide to do something, I like jump in full throttle (well, I'd have to find students again which takes time, but ideally I'd like to fill up 8 hours a week over 4 days.)

Thanks for the reply!

But I'm afraid to take the plunge again - I don't want to have to quit on the parents again and disappoint them.

Then decide from the get-go that you'll only commit to tutoring for the next semester entire. Four months, maybe four and a half, would not be too long a committment for you if the idea doesn't pan out. And, it's a reasonable amount of time for parents to expect you to tutor and not be put out if you can't continue.

Just my thoughts.

Hi Colleen,

Well, we're not at logic stage but having the time taken up makes life busy. I'm currently babysitting a 3yo for the lady who loves across the road (single mom, new to city, waitressing). I thought that it would be a breeze as the little girl is really good. But, I'm finding after 2 months that having more of my time taken up means that I can't get to those other things I like to do, like sewing. Or else it takes up the time I have for the extras. You know, the practical life skills type of stuff. Teaching dd to cook, or sew, do laundry etc.

I think the part that I underestimated was *my* energy. How much time do I need to myself to be a good mother? How much relaxing time do I need with my kids to feel like we're a family and not just a teacher and students, do school, doing chores etc?

I would look carefully at what you're going to be giving up by working during that time? What are you currently doing during that time? How much time are you going to need in preparing for your students? How will you working at that time impact meal preparation? What about extra-curricular activities that your kids are involved with? Will you have time/energy to take them to a club etc?

Of course, you also have to look at what you will gain. I *know* that you're super frugal. A true inspiration:D You being able to tutor could really help your family provide an extra cushion.

I find it hard to do what I do, but I'm not doing it for the money. We have enough and some extra to save and give away. I would quit tomorrow if I could, but I'm pretty sure that that's not what God wants from me right now.

Anyhow, I hope you're able to look at this and make a wise decision. Oh, fwiw I think putting a time limit on your tutoring would be a good idea. It gives you a way out if it's not working so well, or if you just want a break.

HTH

Strawberry Queen,

Thanks for your detailed reply. Those are all the questions that have been swirling through my mind.

On paper (actually, my nice, perfect, colour coded MOTH schedule), it all would work out. But it's all those pesky little details that pop up out of life, that I'm worried about! :) Or, like you said, my lack of energy to actually carry out my plan on Friday evening, when I don't have students, to do a drawing lesson or art project with my kids. It's easy for me to let things like that slide when I'm tired.

Anyway, I'll probably continue in my state of non-decision (which is actually a decision - temporarily) for now. I'll keep all those things in mind. I guess I was hoping someone would tell me that they did it, and it worked out fine. LOL!!

Not Colleen, but when I tutored from my home I was able to put my name on a list of tutors with the local school district. They had me fill out a form with the ages of students I was willing to work with, the subjects I would tutor, my prices, location. Because I put my prices a tad bit lower than anyone else, I had lots and lots of calls! Many of students were with me for years (is that an endorsement that they liked me?! or saying that I really wasn't that effective?!)

• 1 year later...

I tutored from home when my students were in 7th grade and found that itt worked out fine because they would do their free reading during that time or play outside. The only problem I had with afternoon tutoring was that sometimes the parents would stay and talk and dinner would be late, so I'd suggest setting firm pickup times and sticking with an ending time. Also, it led to teaching a group class later, and this turned out to be even more lucrative. I would recommend doing several hours on the same day or you may resent being tied down and your children might miss out on other opportunities such as field trips. Good luck! Kimberly