Menu

How do you make your timeline?

newhsmommy

I bought a fancy timeline last year for SOTW 1 and do not want to buy another one just for this year. I'm thinking I can make a homemade one which can also include other important events, and go from the past to present eventually(I make things w/my sticker machine.) Has anyone done this? If so, what are your reccomendations? Thanks!!

Mine is pieces of tagboard that I tied together. They fold up to the size of 1 piece of tagboard and I can put it behind a bookcase for storage. My timeline is actually in 3 pieces--ancients/middle ages, 1600-1850, 1850-2000. We have used the SOTW review cards for our timeline in the past. This year we don't have the AG, so I just have blank stickers about 1.5"x3". I write a title and date on it and have a dd draw a picture to go with it. They love that. I got a lot of useful information on how to make a timeline from Home School in the Woods, particularly what scale to use for different time periods. I think my ancients pages are 1000 years per page and the ones I'm using now for 1850-2000 are 50 years per page. I'll link the Home School in the Woods site.

http://www.homeschoolinthewoods.com/HTTA/TimelineHelps/

We are doing Beyond and Bigger this year from HOD. Both include using a printed table (Beyond is only one page & Bigger is two). You have several column (column 1: 1400, column 2: 1500 etc). Then you have several rows spaced enough to draw a small picture and write the event. I like it because it doesn't take up a lot of space, but give them a good visual to look at. You can see some pics over at the HOD forum.

Hi. Guesthollow has free timeline printables that look very nice.

I have also downloaded Tanglewood's Book of the Centuries. (Only $2.50 and can of course be printed as often as needed.) Those are kind fun because they provide space to write or draw about a particular event/person.

Also, MOH suggests using a sewing board for a larger, view at a glance timeline. I've not done that yet, as we are just used to binder timelines, but it sounds like a neat idea.

ETA: I have also in the past made my timeline chart modeled after the one sold by Goegraphy Matters by using a poster board, dividing it with something like 13 horizontal lines, and then marking those in 1000 year increments for Ancient History, then 50 year increments for 1 A.D. to the present. I then used the opposite side for American History.

Edited by ChildofGrace

Mine is ultra cheap but we like it--

(I think there's a pic on my blog, so I 'll try to put it here.)

I simply took sheets of long, white construction paper, turned them sideways, and drew a line down the middle. I numbered them so as to get 100 years on each page, 3-hole punched the short end, then bound with notebook rings. To make the cover, I took a nice light blue sheet, and covered it with small images of the people and places we would learn about. For the timeline figures, I used a combination of Hannah's Homeschool Helps figures (free at her yahoo group) and others we printed off of yahoo.images. I wrote the name of the person or event at the bottom of the image after gluing to the page (I have a sticker machine, so we sticker'd some of them instead of gluing), and included the year. We can take the pages apart any time and line them all up across the floor.

Thanks for the link to this great site!! I'm going to make the tagboard type timeline for this year in SOTW 1.

Mine is pieces of tagboard that I tied together. They fold up to the size of 1 piece of tagboard and I can put it behind a bookcase for storage. My timeline is actually in 3 pieces--ancients/middle ages, 1600-1850, 1850-2000. We have used the SOTW review cards for our timeline in the past. This year we don't have the AG, so I just have blank stickers about 1.5"x3". I write a title and date on it and have a dd draw a picture to go with it. They love that. I got a lot of useful information on how to make a timeline from Home School in the Woods, particularly what scale to use for different time periods. I think my ancients pages are 1000 years per page and the ones I'm using now for 1850-2000 are 50 years per page. I'll link the Home School in the Woods site.

http://www.homeschoolinthewoods.com/HTTA/TimelineHelps/

Our timeline is a wall line, made of poster board with painters tape as the center line. The years were made on my puter, using mailing labels. Now the cool things:

1. it is hung on the wall using velcro, if we move it will easily move with us.

2. To allow more space between centuries, I am making accordian books that will velcro into the 7.25 in century area and fold out. They will be 5x7 inch cards that will be taped together to make books.

3. I am using HITW/HTTA timeline figures

When Ig et a chance I will take pictures...;)

I found packs of 11x14 posterboard at the Dollar Store. I drew a line down the middle (with the page horizontal), and marked out lines every 1.5 inches to represent 100 years, and marked out my years from 4000 BC to 0. I'll tack on AD next year. Then I taped the pages together at the back and laminated them at our church with a continuous (thin) lamination. It's very heavy duty, and the time line is really llllllooooooooonnnnnnnngggggg, which thrills my kids to no end. :) But it folds up accordian style to 11x14, and I am getting a notebook/scrapbook to keep it in between uses. I'm going to just hole punch one end of it, so we can stretch it out of the book to work on it. I also found some cheap little plastic stick on hangers that I can stick onto it at different points and hang it on sewing pins if we want to.

I made my own because

a) I'm cheap

b) I wanted BC and AD to be measured out in consistant time ratios, so they really get a feel for length of time.

We also have the book of time pages that other posters have mentioned, so that the kids can record more detail about events and characters that interest them. The time line is just an added visual aid to help them see the events in order (which you can't do as well with a notebook style timeline IMO)

HTH!

This is our first time doing a timeline ever. We are doing it in a 3 ring binder and using it for a notebook as well. We are putting articles, writing assignment and pertinent handouts etc in between the timeline pages so it will sort of read like a history book.

Mine is done on a roll of paper, 18" or so wide, but I put it on the wall vertically. The roll of paper sits on the floor in a little wooden (MDF'en?) shelf from Ikea, turned upside down so it makes a trough. This keeps the roll from rolling away. Then I pull the free end of the paper up the wall to the ceiling. Right at the ceiling, I have a poster clip to hold the paper up. As we get further into history, I will replace that with a rod (like a small curtain rod) and let the excess paper hang down over the back of the rod.

I came up with this because (1) I wanted one on the wall, rather than in a notebook (we've done this in the past, but the notebook seems to me to defeat the whole purpose, plus it got bulky and hard to manage); (2) I wanted to use wall space but couldn't spare 20' of horizontal space and did not want to deal with keeping 20' of paper upon on the wall; and (3) this is easily portable--I can roll it up if necessary.

Terri