Menu

Funny story about ds at college...

Paz

He called earlier today to tell me how expensive food was there and how expensive it was to eat. About 2 hours later he calls me back and asks me how long to grill the steak on his George Foreman. :lol: I remember eating ramen noodles in college. I do know he is trying to eat healthy and he is not eating out much so I think he's doing fine. I just was amused when I put the two conversations together.

Now that just not fair. Every time we go fishing, we only catch little ones. Boulder Creek you say. I'll send the hubby for fish tomorrow if the weather holds.

When my ds was home in the spring, I had to show him how to clean and prepare a fish because the only ones he could find in the stores were whole and he had never cooked a fish before. He can make a terrific spaghetti sauce from scratch but had no idea what to do with a fish.

My oldest is trying this GRIN. Sort of. He would be very jealous about having such a great fishing spot. He scrounged a canoe from the trash and fiberglassed up the seven holes and he through-bolted a scrounged roofrack onto the roof of our old car. Then he called Sat. on the way to school to tell us that we were right, that things definately got exciting when you drove over 55. And he called yesterday to inform us that only 2 of the 7 holes were leaking. He also informed us of the price of ramen noodles GRIN.

• 2 weeks later...

My ds leaves Monday for Drexel in the heart of Philly. He already has his heart set on the cardiac arrest lunch trucks that park between two of the main buildings...."but mom you can get a cheese steak for 3 bucks!" His dad is a gourmet, and I really mean it, chef.....this kid's idea of a great lunch is ramen noodles and tyson's chicken strips chopped up in it.....yuck!

We are sending a magic bullet, small foreman grill and a few pots and pans....he will be in a suite....other roomies are brining the microwave and coffee pot.

It will be interesting to hear about what he eats besides the cafeteria plan we had to buy!

Last summer ds, living on his own, ate oatmeal for breakfast every morning. Plain unadulterated oatmeal, the non-minute kind. The store brand, or course, to save cost. He didn't add raisins or sugar or......

He said that it was cheap! (I'm not about to argue with that.)

But I have this funny feeling that if I had tried to feed him straight oatmeal every morning in high school I would have heard a few complaints! :D

(I was glad to hear that he learned fiscal responsibility somewhere along the line, but this seemed a bit extreme!)

Yuk! I like oatmeal and eat it every morning, too, but I definately would have splurged and bought a little milk to put on it. Mine seem to be eating instant oatmeal packets every morning in their room because it is faster than going down to commons and can be combined with things like polishing shoes and ironing uniforms. My oldest proudly informed us that he has figured out the fishing and is now eating his own fish. I'm not sure the economics work out by the time you figure in buying his own fiberglass and epoxy, and the gas, but it is definately healthier.

Last summer ds, living on his own, ate oatmeal for breakfast every morning. Plain unadulterated oatmeal, the non-minute kind. The store brand, or course, to save cost. He didn't add raisins or sugar or......

He said that it was cheap! (I'm not about to argue with that.)

But I have this funny feeling that if I had tried to feed him straight oatmeal every morning in high school I would have heard a few complaints! :D

That is my son's breakfast every morning here, AT HOME!!! He loves it.

Carole

My ds leaves Monday for Drexel in the heart of Philly. He already has his heart set on the cardiac arrest lunch trucks that park between two of the main buildings...."but mom you can get a cheese steak for 3 bucks!"

I'm sure he has discovered Reading Terminal. When we visited Drexel we walked the 20 blocks (?) there and back for our lunch. DS remarked that if he went to Drexel he would be able to go on a little hike over to his favorite eating spot.

Carole