Menu

Any Stellar Preschool Resource/Workbook Suggestions

catherine smith

I like the Big Skills workbooks. They have more pgs than Kumon and are similar. It works out cheaper because of them having more pgs. Plus I found the whole set at Costco for half price. http://www.timberdoodle.com/Big_Skills_for_Little_Hands_Set_of_6_p/332-400.htm

I also got the Beginning Mathematical Reasoning book from Critical thinking company. I started the kinder one with my ds5 and I will start the 3 yr old one with my younger one as soon as we finish hooked on math learn to count. They look really good.

My dd has loved the kumon workbooks, and it has helped with her cutting and coloring skills. I just bought some from Amazon recently, and they have a 4 for 3 promotion going on right now. You would get 4 for $21, which isn't too bad. She also really likes the preschool Explode the Code books. They are around $7, I believe.

We tried one of the big prep style ones from Costco last year. It was ok, but my DD was bored. It didn't have enough consistently challenging work, more filler/fluff.

We have had very good success with Kumon. I think it is because we can choose by topic and level. Being able to get specific gives us a more successful selection to tailor to my daughter.

Although they may be a little extra, I think Kumon are a good vale considering the fun and results. My DD loves the maze, cutting, pasting, and folding books. We have had less success with tracing books for letters and numbers, which I think is due to my daughters weak grip and perfectionism.... that is another story.

wow, thanks so much all. My daughter is 2 1/2, am I starting to young for these types of workbooks? I'm sure it is somewhat child depend, but what's your experience been as a good age to start?

Big Skills and Kumon start at age 2 so you are fine using them at her age. The rod and staff you will want to hold off on because that is better for an older 3 or 4 yr old since it is actually their kindergarten.

I start workbooks when they're able to ask for their own school work in complete sentences. *shrug* With a 2yo? I'd just hand her some blank paper and crayons for now. :) Maybe an occasional coloring book to go with it. Water colors. Story time at the library or children's museum.

There were a few ideas of things to focus on in one of the early chapters of TWTM, you might give that chapter another read. :)

I agree, start with some of the Kumon books. Here is a link to some of their First Steps books that would be perfect for a 2.5 yo. I think the first Rod and Staff book could be started around her 3rd b-day, and then you could slowly work through them over a year or two.

You could also just draw some lines, shapes, etc. on paper and have her trace them or color and cut them out. I do that with my 3yo in a pinch. :D

For reading readiness, I like the get ready for the code, get set for the code, go for the code books for pre-s.

I also like the Zaner Bloser handwriting page you can print off the enchanted learning website.

I also like the Early Bird math books from Singapore Math.

Other than that, I just love lots of hands-on math games (Peggy Kaye's books are great for ideas), free play with art materials, learning manipulatives (puzzles, games, blocks, etc.)